Cutting Edge 44cal 210gr MZL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rangerod provided 44cal 210gr MZL Maximus bullets to catch. Range to the trap was 25 yard. Powder charge was 80 grain Blackhorn.

The front jug was flattened, and discombobulated. There are visible holes in the back of the front jug indicating the bullet fractured therein. The second jug was blasted into two big pieces, and smaller pieces. The bullet then tore holes in the third, fourth, fifth jugs, and was caught by the sixth jug. The fourth, and fifth jugs stood on horse. A fractured fragment lay on the horse under where the second jug stood. The bullet weighs 153 grain.

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

Could you do the same with 50 grains of powder - that would provide more answers and comparisons as to what you have done in the past.

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

The last jug caught the bullet. All jugs had ragged holes in and out with splitting. Evidently the phonebooks kept the bullet from leaving the last jug. The bullet weigh 210 grain.

Holy cow Ron that was quick... but does show what I thought I was thinking might happen.

Thank you very much for the very quick response!

Impact speed hasn't been measured for any 210 grain bullet. Will try to measure speed at 25 yard tomorrow, using the 210g Gold Dot, however snow, rain, and 50 mi/hr wind gusts are forecast.

Your guess is probably better than mine, but for a WAG, 1600 fps when the powder is 80 grain; 1250 fps when 50 grain.

ronlaughlin said:
Impact speed hasn't been measured for any 210 grain bullet. Will try to measure speed at 25 yard tomorrow, using the 210g Gold Dot, however snow, rain, and 50 mi/hr wind gusts are forecast.

Your guess is probably better than mine, but for a WAG, 1600 fps when the powder is 80 grain; 1250 fps when 50 grain.

Ron are those estimated velocities of 80/50 grains by weight or volume?

For what it might be worth....

Recently while working on rupture velocity I can tell you that @ 2500ft elevation:

50 gr. T7-2f by volume with 260 projectile 1433 fps

30 gr. T7-2f by volume with 260 projectile 1150 fps

And with that projectile there would not be a lot of difference grain for grain in T7 and BH. The lighter the projectile the less difference there is.

I do not have any numbers that reflect the velocity of either 80 grains of T7 or BH. Just do not shoot those volumes - except with PRB's

Managed to clock the bullet speed of the 210 grain Gold Dot at 25 yard this morning. These are speeds at 25 yards, not muzzle. Humidity is about 50 %, elevation was about 4600 feet. Bullet weight of 210 grain.

For a powder charge of 50 grain volume Blackhorn, the average of 4 shots -- 1239 fps.

For a powder charge of 80 grain volume Blackhorn, the average of 4 shots -- 1661 fps.

ronlaughlin said:
Managed to clock the bullet speed of the 210 grain Gold Dot at 25 yard this morning. These are speeds at 25 yards, not muzzle. Humidity is about 50 %, elevation was about 4600 feet. Bullet weight of 210 grain.

For a powder charge of 50 grain volume Blackhorn, the average of 4 shots -- 1239 fps.

For a powder charge of 80 grain volume Blackhorn, the average of 4 shots -- 1661 fps.

Thanks Ron... did not realize your shooting area was that high in elevation - that certainly does not hurt velocity!

I started shooting the 165 grain 40 cal bullet last fall. I used Harvester crush rib sabots. I was also using 105 grains of BH209. I zeroed at a hundred yards. I shot a buck at 217. I held about 10" high and drilled a hole straight through his chest. The devastation inside was very impressive.

I am a fan of Cutting Edge.

Just picked up some .40 cal 240 grain maximus to try in both my smokeless katahdin and Optima rifle so I'll try to post some results when I get a chance to shoot. Saw the latest offering and they're even making a .45 cal loader to work with the .40 cal bullets in .45's and they do offer a 50 cal loader. To work with my katahdin I just had to open up the TC Polymer bullet starter to make it a better surface so not to damage the tip during loading. Can't wait to try it in the .50 cal as well since Cutting Edge said they've seen the bullets stabilize quite well in other twists as well. Plus I can finally test these out on the plugs Ron modified with my Optima Pistol and rifle.

Latest posts

Back