32 inline build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pupsdad

Reaction score
I have been looking to build a 32 and started to build on a ridge runner like Shawn's but I came across a Traditions Thunderbolt 45 1-20. It was rough but I decided a 1-20 45 was worth cleaning up and after cleaning it did shoot well but the pitting in the barrel made it tough to load so I pulled it apart to build a 32 on. I measured the thread then cut new threads on the old barrel to test fit. They fit very good even though I put little effort into them. Now it's time to order a barrel.

Attachments

• IMAG0331-819x608.jpg
    IMAG0331-819x608.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 577
  • IMAG0332-819x608.jpg
    IMAG0332-819x608.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 577
  • IMAG0333-819x608.jpg
    IMAG0333-819x608.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 577
There are a couple things I have been thinking about a lot. Twist rate is the one I am concerned about the most. I was going to just follow the 1-30 like Shawn's but decided it might be something to disscus. Has there been any 32 rifles built with a twist between 1-48 the old standard and 1-30 like Shawn's.

I have .32's in 30, 34, 36, and 48 twist they all will shoot. The faster twists are just less load finicky. (they shoot well across the load chart, where the slower twists settle in with a "sweet spot") These are my findings, your mileage may vary.

I think you are going to end up with a nice .32. Was that one a Stainless? I guess I missed that. Glad the threading turned out to not be too big of a chore. As far as I recall there are 4 built on the 1 in 30. The first was the sleeved build by Squeeze. I don't remember off hand anyone building one in between 1 in 48 and 1 in 30. What has you thinking of an in between twist? Just curious. That is a good thing about Oregon as they can build most any twist you want.

My mountaineer .32 is 1-36 twist. It was a combination of Rayl, and Cox formula for roundball twist.

Ed Rayl Formula for ROT:
pi x Bore Diameter divided by .02618

or
Cox's Formula for ROT:
pi x Bore Diameter divided by .029

So according to Rayl's formula:
3.14159 x .32 / .02618 = 38.3998(1:38 twist)

According to Cox's Formula:
3.14159 x .32 / .029 = 34.6658(1:34 twist)

So, that got built with a 36 to split the difference.

No particular reason it has just been on my mind. Do you have issues with higher loads with the 1-30 or does it have a limit on the faster velocity . I just know I would shoot low charges as well as higher charges. The ability to drop the charge for squirrel is attractive I know I would like to also step it up at the range and playing around.

It's nickel plated. I'm going to blue it if I can get the nickel off Dura-Coat if I can't get it off.

pupsdad said:
No particular reason it has just been on my mind. Do you have issues with higher loads with the 1-30 or does it have a limit on the faster velocity . I just know I would shoot low charges as well as higher charges. The ability to drop the charge for squirrel is attractive I know I would like to also step it up at the range and playing around.
I do not remember shooting more than 25 grains of Pyrodex P in mine, never saw the need to. Maybe Squeeze has. I built mine as a Squirrel rifle so I wanted to shoot the light loads. I shoot 18 to 20 grains now and it shoots very well with that load. I have shot good groups as low as 10gn. Another reason I never shot mine with more powder was that while I was waiting on it to be built I bought a Knight LK in .36 caliber. So just figured if I needed to shoot more powder let this .36 do that. :wink: The Marathon I am putting together now is a 1 in 48 so we will see what it liked when its is done.

The faster twists, will shoot a hot load maxi to 80 well, and 2-3" at 100 on the best day (I used 30 grains and an unlubed 1/8 veg wad) the 48 twist petered out at ~70-80 and wouldnt group as well. Pretty similar with roundball, but cut some off range. inside ~40-50 yards, the 48 twist could almost match accuracy, so overall, I believe the faster twist is better all around. Inside ~40 yards, its a close accuracy race, but the faster twists with the ability to be loaded hot or mild, and still match accuracy gives them even more edge.

What are you really looking do do with the rifle? predominantly squirrel roundball, I like the ability to load light, considering anything but a headshot will spoil usable meat. If you want range, and varmint/predator ability, you may want to think about a faster twist .36, and heavier conicals. I have .36 in 24 twist that shoots saboted .312 (100 grn XTP) well too 100, and Im playing with a fast twist 1-14 .36 that will shoot 280 grain Grease groove in clovers at 100, and theoretically should be able to go many multiples further. Its still a work in progress.
So far, In my findings, I think the faster twist wins almost every race.

here is a table from the old TC manual on the cherokee/seneca, that shows much hotter loads could be used. I dont remember going over 35 grains in the .32 myself yet, but I think I've pushed the range about as far as the small caliber will go. I have shot to 150 and 200, but accuracy is pretty well gone, and wind drift is substantial.

(from TC manual, circa late '70's)

32 cal RB (.315", 47gn)

30 gns FFFg 1714 fps 307 FT Lbs
40 gns FFFg 1929 fps 388 FT Lbs
50 gns FFFg 2055 fps 441 FT Lbs ( Max! in red writing)

32 cal Maxi-ball 103gn)

30 gns FFFg 1418 fps 460 FT Lbs
40 gns FFFg 1628 fps 606 FT Lbs
50 gns FFFg 1749 fps 700 FT Lbs ( Max! in red writing)

the thing with the .32, most typical formulas, are off the charts, and it just seems to walk a different path. for a larger caliber, the usual slow twist for roundball rules apply, but in a .32 mathematics becomes warped. Its kind of a conundrum unto itself.

I would also recommend shallower than typical rifling for the small calibers. Most roundball rifling is ~.010, and some go to .014 and more. I seem to like .004-.005 rifling depth. I cant remember what the depth on the TC cherokee/seneca's were, but I have an oregon 30 with .004 rifling that will match the TC's on pretty much every level. the.36 twist is .007 groove, and will also, BUT is doesnt seem to want less than a ~15 grain charge with a patched roundball. I have shot 10 grains in the 30 twist with squirrel accuracy to ~30-40 yards.

(The 14 twist .36 is .004 rifling)

:lol: Man I envy the guys fortunate enough to have a backyard range :partyman:

I don't really have a single use for the rifle I just want to be able to switch it up some, not have it just be 15gr squirrel gun. I want to shoot it more often than have it sit in the rack and only come out to hunt. I was thinking 36 would get shot more but I shoot 45 a lot all conical bullets. I want a gun to shoot round ball and if the 32 don't fill the bill I've traded many a gun that didn't get shot as much as I thought I would. So I guess you all answered the twist question.

Any thoughts on barrel length ? You know what steel Oregon uses for barrels?

I have been thinking on your thought on shallow rifling in the 32. That kind of makes sense with the smaller diameter having less area for the pressure to push against. I believe the shallow rifling protects the patch maybe. I don't know just thinking. I think to much and don't make my mind up and get nothing done.

pupsdad said:
If it were me I would go with 22" from BP to muzzle for a hunting rifle. Mine is 26 and its ok for the bench but a tad heavy in he woods. Not sure but I thought someone said it was 4140 steel.

Just checked my Marathon barrel. It is 24" from face of BP to the muzzle but it is a small diameter barrel too.

pupsdad said:

You can get either 4140 or 12L14.

ShawnT said:
52Bore said:
pupsdad said:
Is one better than the other?

Probably not in a 32 to the end user. The barrel maker will spend more time/wear on tooling, making a harder/tougher chrome moly 4140 vs the soft screw making leaded steel 12L14. i.e. 12L14 will be cheaper to buy.
I only know Oregon offers both because I had the option when I built Upper Hand's - .32 Disc Extreme, they told be I could get either.

I'm just kind of impatient right now I'm glad I waited so this gets done on the thunderbolt, I hope it comes out nice. It will be 1-30 but I'm going 26 inch long and if I don't like it I'll shorten it. Thanks for all the comments. Photos as soon as the barrel arrives.

52Bore said:
ShawnT said:
52Bore said:
Is one better than the other?

Probably not in a 32 to the end user. The barrel maker will spend more time/wear on tooling, making a harder/tougher chrome moly 4140 vs the soft screw making leaded steel 12L14. i.e. 12L14 will be cheaper to buy.
I only know Oregon offers both because I had the option when I built Upper Hand's - .32 Disc Extreme, they told be I could get either.
Thanks for the info. Joe did not offer either to me, but I did not think or know to ask, so I assume mine is the 12L14.

Back