Cheddite 209 Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr1445

Reaction score
how will the cheddite primers fit? i recently set up my recently acquired knight 50 disc for zero blow back with bare cci 209m primers, as i got 1000 with a rifle purchase. i shoot pyrodex p at targets and the cci's seem to be overkill. the local cabelas has friendly prices on the cheddite primers.

CCI are about 2nd longest on the chart. Cheddite are shortest. Either will probably work, but switching between the two is more than likely going to be problematic. (cheddite will probably take an additional shim). The difference in length between the 2 is about .003-.004 there is a possibility they may both work, depending on the fit and crush of either. In my opinion, the headaches caused while looking for an economical alternative, outweigh the warm fuzzies from the savings. You are better off picking one or the other. It MAY or may not work, theres really only one way to find out. But that requires buying, which brings about the feeling of commitment to use... A sticky situation.

i have not purchased primers in some years. back in time you could a buy 100 pack but i need to go down to cabelas to pick up some nosler 240gr 44's and will check out what is available. i have some older rem primers that are .003 to .004" shorter than the cci's and they seemed to work ok. if need be i can order a 2nd breech plug from knight and set it up for the shorter primers.

dr1445 said:
how will the cheddite primers fit? i recently set up my recently acquired knight 50 disc for zero blow back with bare cci 209m primers, as i got 1000 with a rifle purchase. i shoot pyrodex p at targets and the cci's seem to be overkill. the local cabelas has friendly prices on the cheddite primers.

Cheddites are decent primer... I use them for trap shooting. Problem is that they are made in Euro and use metric measurements. I am pretty sure you will find that they are to large in diameter to go into the breech plug.

IIRC i tried them in my Lehigh Knight plugs and they wont fit. Cheddites are close to .002 larger OD than a USA made primer and they are .002-.003+ shorter than the shortest USA made primer.

Now, with that being said it would not take too much effort to modify a plug to use them. Personally if i was going this route i would go with a Rem STS primer. Its the shortest USA made primer and normally available wherever 209 primers are sold.

i was looking for a primer in the same power range as the rems, as i would like to avoid a crud ring i get from the cci 209m's. maybe the standard cci,s will do the job and are close to the same length.

In my NULA im able to swap between CCI209 and CCI209M without a single issue. The sizes appear to be close enough that it wont matter. Same goes for the Win209 and WinT7. I can swap them in my Lehigh Knight plugs without a single hickup.

i picked up some cci standard 209's and they are the same length as the cci 209m. i also got a box of standard winchester 209 primers, they were about .005" longer than the cci's and i could feel a slight cam over when i closed the action on one. i have not had the chance to try them at the range yet.

I just purchased a box of Cheddite 209 primers I had no problem with the fit in my TC Pro Hunter they worked and fit in my brech plug just like the Remington 209 primers

Attachments

• 20211023_124635.jpg
    20211023_124635.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2
I recently ran out of Winchester 209s and swapped my 209 firing pin and breech plug in my Traditions Pursuit XT over to the musket cap plug and pin until I could come up with more 209s. A local mom and pop had Cheddite 209s so I bought 4 boxes of 100, that after reading mostly positive reviews.

I have not had any problems with Cheddites setting off my charges. My problem with the Cheddites is that my Traditions pierces 100% of the primers. I didn't have that issue with Winchester 209s. I've since been lucky enough to score 100 Federal Muzzler Loader 209 primers, and a case of 1000 Federal 209A "full strength" primers. I checked to see if my Traditions would pierce those. Nope. It's a Cheditte issue. The Cheddite cup seems very soft. Not only is it getting pierced, the cup us deforming significantly more than the Federals.

Left is Federal 209 Muzzle loader primers. Middle is Federal 209A "full strength" primers. Right is Cheddite 209.

kbSBjCn.jpg

Until I found the Federals, I was contemplating using the 209 breech plug with the musket cap firing pin as it had a less severe stike on the Cheddite primer than thre 209 pin did. The musket cap pin proved 100% reliable with Cheddite primers with no piercing.

Left: Cheddites hit with 209 firing pin. Middle: Cheddites hit with musket cap firing pin. Right: Musket caps (weak CCI musket caps)

r12no3N.jpg

Now that I have a supply of Federal 209s, I don't have to improvise by using the wrong pin with the 209 breech plug.

I found 400 Federal 209 primers not 209-A will they work with BH209 I bought 3 little jugs a while back and waited too long to buy 209-A then the shortage hit now can't find them anywhere

I don't know the difference between Federal 209 and 209A.

I keep myself on every sellers "Notify Me" list, MidwayUSA, Natchez, Muzzle-Loaders, etc. If you do that, you will get steady notices for things that come into stock. If you get a notice, act fast.

Last edited:
I found 400 Federal 209 primers not 209-A will they work with BH209 I bought 3 little jugs a while back and waited too long to buy 209-A then the shortage hit now can't find them anywhere

What rifle are you shooting? That can make a big difference!

I have a few hundred Federal 209s from the 1980's. They have been working fine with Blackhorn 209. I picked up some old Federal 410 primers (I had never heard of them) and they work for 777. I suspect they are like the muzzleloader primers.

I find that Cheddites work pretty well in my knight. One out of then I'll need to lightly lever out with my leatherman but they are reliable and seal up decently

By the way I have had not one single miss-fire with BH209 and cheddite primers

That’s with my Knight and my CVA with both the conventional and BH209 specific plug in the Cva. 100% reliable around 40-50 shots on each arrangement.

This was throughout the summer, not sure how freezing cold weather would effect things

Back