New scope, anything I should know

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
52Bore said:
Just an FYI
Friendship is 500 (600 hopefully in a few years) and you can hit the ram all day long with just a 4x if your load/gun will shoot.
Target or Tactical turret (elevation) is worth the $.
Higher magnification would be for X's.
We'll be looking for you at Friendship.

I won't be there this year. My intention was to be but I just won't be able to make it happen. Wish I could for sure. Hopefully next year.

So at Friendship you don't shoot X's? And if not, I'm assuming the 4-14x will be plenty for the 500 yard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kraig said:
52Bore said:
Just an FYI
Friendship is 500 (600 hopefully in a few years) and you can hit the ram all day long with just a 4x if your load/gun will shoot.
Target or Tactical turret (elevation) is worth the $.
Higher magnification would be for X's.
We'll be looking for you at Friendship.

I won't be there this year. My intention was to be but I just won't be able to make it happen. Wish I could for sure. Hopefully next year.

So at Friendship you don't shoot X's? And if not, I'm assuming the 4-14x will be plenty for the 500 yard?

Yes you do shoot for X's. The IH aggregate is shot at paper at 50, 100 and 200yds, where an X may be a tie breaker. Then you shoot steel chickens at 200m and 300m. The IH is the same for the Nationals. The Creedmoor is a different shoot that 52bore can explain.
But yes, although you might hit a ram at 500yds, hitting as many X's is very important. Hitting an X at 500 is a chore.

4-14x will work great for all you want to do there.
X's are obviously in the paper matches. But, I did way better than imaginable with a 4x in the 1st inline match. It's just the thickness of the crosshair that covers the X ring, but not all the black so you can still hold center.

Kraig:
There are 3 separate events;
May
June
September

52Bore said:
Kraig:
May
June
September

Awesome thank u. I've talked to ENCORE about it a bunch before, my brain just tends to forget a lot of details.

Sounds like that 4-14x VX-3i will be a good scope then for everything at Friendship AND hunting? That might be the one I'll look at next time I'm at Cabelas or Gander Mountain.

Kraig said:
52Bore said:
Kraig:
May
June
September

Awesome thank u. I've talked to ENCORE about it a bunch before, my brain just tends to forget a lot of details.

Sounds like that 4-14x VX-3i will be a good scope then for everything at Friendship AND hunting? That might be the one I'll look at next time I'm at Cabelas or Gander Mountain.

Better hit Cabela's. I think Gander Mountain is going out of business......bankrupt. However... if they have a sale, it may be a great buy.

Hornet22savage said:
Take a look at the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44. It has a 30 mm tube and the paralex adjustment. The extra 16 over the 14 will make a difference.

I actually have to be honest. I found it's actually cheaper price than the Leupold. I just hope Cabelas has both to compare. One person I talked to thought the glass of the Vortex looked better than the Leupold.

Kraig, there's a lot of good scopes available. Its been rumored that Leupold is playing catch-up, but the warrantee is totally unbeatable. Leupold has always had good glass. However, the others have caught up and/or surpassed Leupold in many price ranges. Vortex scopes are used by many shooters and they dearly love them and the quality. As I understand it, Vortex also has top notch customer service. I've had a bushel of Nikon Monarch scopes and dearly loved the glass in those. However, they didn't hold up to the amount of shooting I was doing at the time. Some shooters told me to look at some of the Bushnell upper end scopes.
I'll suggest something..... get what you want, not what will just satisfy you. If it costs a little more, its probably worth it. Always look for a brand that has a full "lifetime warrantee", even a transferable warrantee.
A story about Leupold's customer service..... I broke a Leupold VX6, not only once but twice. It broke the second time with less than 100 rounds down range. Leupold customer service offered me two options. First was that they weren't going to repair the scope just to have it break again. They would replace it with the new VX6-HD model. Second, was that they would refund my purchase price. I chose the second option and went to a Nightforce, hoping I won't break that. Point is, customer service is important too when purchasing a scope.

Hey ENCORE, I know you had problems with several scopes including Nikon Monarchs and your latest with the Leupold, but were any of those issues with a standard charge rather than a real heavy charge? I've read some good things about the Nikon Monarchs but would completely eliminate that option if you believe those won't hold up to a standard BH209 load.

Thanks

Kraig said:
Hey ENCORE, I know you had problems with several scopes including Nikon Monarchs and your latest with the Leupold, but were any of those issues with a standard charge rather than a real heavy charge? I've read some good things about the Nikon Monarchs but would completely eliminate that option if you believe those won't hold up to a standard BH209 load.

Thanks

Sorry but just got on the computer after a few days off working on our mother's estate.

All issues with Nikon Monarch scopes happened with reduced loads of BH209 at 107grs volume (75grs weight). With the Leupold with only 90% and 60% of maximum charges. I was using 60% of max when the Leupold broke.

60% max of your Ultimate is still a pretty stiff load right?

ENCORE50A said:
03mossy said:
120grs. T7. Its actually like shooting a BB gun :wink:

Ha that's what I thought. Your full house loads with that thing are for when the dinosaurs start taking back over the world. So 60% of yours equals 120 grains is a max load for most muzzleloaders.

03mossy said:
ENCORE50A said:
03mossy said:
120grs. T7. Its actually like shooting a BB gun :wink:

Ha that's what I thought. Your full house loads when that thing are for when the dinosaurs start taking back over the world. So 60% of yours equals 120 grains is a max load for most muzzleloaders.

Ha, that's true if you own an old muzzleloader, instead of one of these new fangled 150gr maximum charge outfits. :wink:
I've never shot a full house load from this rifle. I'm actually loading down. Picked up a case of T7 50/50 so I can shoot a 3/4 charge.

Latest posts

Back