lead bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

long shot

Reaction score
Anyone know if .451 leadbullet will work in Crushed rib sabot , 1-24 twist , .50

I have used several(451-.452) in a 28 twist with good results. My favorite is probably an accurate 300s
DSC00456_zpsc10ccf89.jpg

DSC00457_zps19bab54a.jpg

thanks , just have to try and see. Wanting to shoot in Michigan Match .

45cal said:
Anyone know if .451 leadbullet will work in Crushed rib sabot , 1-24 twist , .50

Why does it have to be with a 'Crush Rib'? The sabot would be dependent on the bore and the size of the projectile. If your bullet is a true .451 you may need a thicker sabot depending upon the bore you choose to shoot it in.

The is no reason that a .451 would not shoot in a sabot... well that could be changed depending on the weight of the projectile and the charge.

Too bad I've sold the molds or I'd let you try some.

Attachments

• 380g HP .JPG
    380g HP .JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 390gr solid.jpg
    390gr solid.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 192
A guy on another board had these made. Its a 300gr but i think he said they are a fairly hard alloy. Probably wheel weight.

Something like this might be very cool in the 325gr-350gr range for a faster twist 50cal.
45-300M-1_zpsljrgizox.jpg

Custom mold from Accurate Molds with 255 gr & 300 gr cavities (design #45-255S & #45-300M) 310gr using salvaged range lead. Metplat changed to .18
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_det ... 300M-D.png

I cast from a LEE mold a .458 pure lead bullet. It is called a 405 grain and is used in 45/70 rifles I was told. I cast then and used them in the orange Knight sabots .458 and that bullet. Out of pure lead they weigh 423 grain. And they hit with authority. In fact I used to shoot them out of an Old CVA Staghorn Magnum I had with 70 grains of powder and they were super accurate.

Then I got my White .451 rifle. so I got a sizing die and reduced them to .451. They shoot very well out of my White. But you can put that same bullet into any sabot that works and shoot them out of a .50 caliber rifle with excellent results.

45cal said:
thanks , just have to try and see. Wanting to shoot in Michigan Match .

Just an FYI..............

Because it's on Memorial weekend, if you plan on attending, make motel reservations NOW. It seems the entire southern part of the state normally rushes to cabins, motels and second homes that weekend. It can be nearly impossible some years to find a place to stay north of Mt. Pleasant.
If you have a camper, then you'd be set. As I understand it, a cot can be put up in the clubhouse.

Back