EGW scope base

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsawyer340

Reaction score
Is anyone running an EGW scope base on T/C ProHunter FX?? I just installed mine tonight and there's a slight gap at the front of the base. Looks like a convenient spot for debris to collect, plus it allows the base to move at the front. Should I be concerned about this or shouldn't it affect anything??

Is there a reason that you did not want to use a one piece style scope mount similar to this, http://www.durasight.com/?? With your mount you will need rings to mount your scope. I have this mount on 3 CVA Accuras and it is a quality scope mount system. I believe that you would like this better than what you have now. JMHO

tsawyer340 said:
Is anyone running an EGW scope base on T/C ProHunter FX?? I just installed mine tonight and there's a slight gap at the front of the base. Looks like a convenient spot for debris to collect, plus it allows the base to move at the front. Should I be concerned about this or shouldn't it affect anything??
If the scope base moves you have a problem. If this is a permanent scope base that you won't want to remove in the future why not epoxy it to the gun for stability? Otherwise I would be looking at another base if it was me!

Travis299 said:
Is there a reason that you did not want to use a one piece style scope mount similar to this, http://www.durasight.com/?? With your mount you will need rings to mount your scope. I have this mount on 3 CVA Accuras and it is a quality scope mount system. I believe that you would like this better than what you have now. JMHO

I have a one piece talley mount that came off my omega that will fit, and it worked for years without any issues. I went to put it on the new gun and I wasn't happy with how it looked. I have had good luck on other set ups with the egw base and a set of leupold prw rings so I was hoping it would work on this gun. I guess I'll do some research on other mounts or just put the talley on it and not worry about it pleasing the eye.

If you're seeing a gap under the front of your mount and experiencing movement, I would say that the mount you are using is not actually designed for your gun. Knowing how DNZ and others manufacture their mounts, barrel radius and taper are always taken into account. If you keep using the current mount your accuracy will be inconsistent and lead to a lot of frustration.

I would definitely recommend the DNZ one piece Game Reaper mount. For your application, if you are looking for a 1 inch tube, medium height, black finish, you'll need DNZ part number 10006. Also, Leupold does make a good mounting system that is a base and rings, however the rings are locked in to prevent movement. Let us know what you end up with.

tsawyer340 said:

This also sounds like the screws in the Front might be too long. Did those screws come with the base or are they from the previous base? Might need to file/grind off a little of the screw length.

It is the correct mount, new out of the box with the correct screws. I've done some more research it seems to be a common issue with the encore platform guns. More of a design flaw being that the mounting screws are on the rear 1/3 of the mount leaving nothIng to hold the front 2/3 of the mount. Bellms even offers an upgrade to drill and tap the barrel adding two more screws to the mount.

Im not a fan of the EGW. To get it solid, you could bed the mount, even with release on both parts. It may or may not be straight, but at least it would be solid. I wouldn't put release on the base ( I wouldnt worry about reuse on another gun) Just wax up the gun, and the screws well, and put a bead down the middle, then just barely touch bottom carefull not to snug the screws. clean up all the perimeter ooze well with rags and q-tips, and let sit for the cure ( ~24 hrs) then torque to spec, and go. I have always had good luck with the DNZ mounts, and most have those. I have been upgrading slowly to Murpheys picatinny bases on anything used heavily, or loaded stout.

If I wanted to bed it, I would prolly just send it out to bellms to drill and tap two more screws into it. I'll prolly end up putting the talley mount on it since it's was rock solid and reliable on my omega.

I've got EGW's on all my encore bbls as well as my CVA optima mzl with no issues. It's the bbl taper on the tc bbls and my katahdin smokeless conversion bbl is a full bull style with no gap. My encore is one of the 1st 250 out the door and the only recent change I did was mount a prohunter swing hammer to get the scopes as close to the bbl as possible. Bellm also offers a fix by drilling and tapping a front screw to keep the front of the mounts from flexing but that may work best with the longer scopes and you would have to send the bbl to him since I believe he also spot drills a locating detent for the front screw to sit on the bbl. I really like the EGW bases since they're picatinny mounts that work great with all my warne mounts. Since I hunt the mtns of NC and TN I favored the standard taper tc bbls to keep the weight down and never had any issues shooting at distance and just recently upgraded to a TC Dimension in 30-06 and .204.

Spent some time on it today, mocked up where my scope needed to be then I trimmed the front of the mount to eliminate the "springboard" effect. Looks good, no gap, no flex. Tried to post pics but the file is too large.

tsawyer340 said:
Spent some time on it today, mocked up where my scope needed to be then I trimmed the front of the mount to eliminate the "springboard" effect. Looks good, no gap, no flex. Tried to post pics but the file is too large.

You can use this to resize your picture. http://resizeimage.net/

Back