I wonder??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife asked me the other day "Why I like shooting my ML's so much"? Is it because you only get one shot, Is it the smoke, Is it the Challenge, Is it because it's just fun, or have we all been re-incarnated and we miss the good ole days? Got me thinking, maybe I was a pioneer in my prior life. Me, I think it's all of the above and I hope I came back to shooting what I grew up with in my prior life. GRIN

I like the challenge of having one shot. Knowing that I have one poke at this animal has made me a far better hunter in every aspect of the game. I hunt the smoke during the shotgun season here at home and just shake my head when I hear strings of 4 or five shots starting at one end of a valley and working to the other. Its not uncommon to here ten or fifteen shots volley around on what you know is maybe a deer or two. Me? I like bang.....then back to solitude. I think muzzleloaders are simply better hunters.

I Steal a line from Tony Knight, from an American rifleman interview:
What sets us muzzleloaders apart is the fact that we have one shot and we are handloaders in the field. We are handicapped with one shot when it comes to comparing us with general firearms. Even an archer can shoot several arrows before we can get a second shot ready to go.

MrTom said:
I like the challenge of having one shot. Knowing that I have one poke at this animal has made me a far better hunter in every aspect of the game. Its not uncommon to here ten or fifteen shots volley around on what you know is maybe a deer or two. Me? I like bang.....then back to solitude. I think muzzleloaders are simply better hunters.

+1
I have gotten to the point that to here guys blaze away at a deer sort of pisses me off. To me they don't have a clue what hunting is all about and have very little respect for the animal. We take our time to learn our rifle and get the load just right and go hunting knowing we most likely will not get a second shot, so we wait for that right shot. I think it levels the field between us and our quarry showing respect for the animal and the hunt. Plus it is just plain fun.

I think muzzleloaders are simply better hunters.

Could not agree more.

More than anything I just enjoy being in the woods. If I get a shot fine, if I get a deer great, but if all I do for the nine days is sit in the stand I'm still happy. I hang a sunflower seed feeder in the tree right off the side of the stand and get nuthatches and chickadees all day long. There's a small pond within twenty yards so squirrels and other critters come to visit. The whole hilltop is a turkey magnet. I get to listen to coyotes before dawn and as the world darkens in the evening....sometimes I get to see one. I just love being in the woods.

The bullet slingers.....I have no time for them in the woods. Its a sorry sight to be registering a deer and have a pick-up pull in with eight deer in back that look like swiss cheese. I'd love it Minnesota would require a plug limiting any gun to two rounds and then eliminate party hunting/drives.

MrTom said:
More than anything I just enjoy being in the woods. If I get a shot fine, if I get a deer great, but if all I do for the nine days is sit in the stand I'm still happy. I hang a sunflower seed feeder in the tree right off the side of the stand and get nuthatches and chickadees all day long. There's a small pond within twenty yards so squirrels and other critters come to visit. The whole hilltop is a turkey magnet. I get to listen to coyotes before dawn and as the world darkens in the evening....sometimes I get to see one. I just love being in the woods.

The bullet slingers.....I have no time for them in the woods. Its a sorry sight to be registering a deer and have a pick-up pull in with eight deer in back that look like swiss cheese. I'd love it Minnesota would require a plug limiting any gun to two rounds and then eliminate party hunting/drives.
Well said and could not agree more! I'm more of a meat hunter than a trophy hunter but It is just relaxing to sit out all day and not think about anything. My Brother says I'm "Getting my Mind Medicine". Damn right!

I think my muzzleloader is my most accurate gun. I use it for our regular firearms deer season and MZ season. It is just plain fun to shoot. It's also fun developing load combos. It's cheaper to shoot than my 870.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do it because it is the most efficient means that I can legally hunt deer here in Iowa. Notice I said hunt, not shoot. The one shot aspect is not much of a handicap for a hunter. My father's old saying was," One shot, one deer two shots, maybe one deer, three shots no deer." With a muzzleloader my goal is always getting that one shot. The aspect of getting your" mind medicine" applies to when ever I am in the outdoors, hunting, fishing or what ever. It's all good! :D

I'm sorta the same as you guys. Although I do hunt with a CF rifle as well some each year.
I was thinking... even when including the CF, over the past 10yrs and several dozen deer taken...only 1 time did I shoot more than once. I shot at a buck 3 times with my cf rifle, hit him twice. I knew I made a bad shot on the first one, my fault...so I was doing my best to recoup. Every other deer I've shot at, I killed... one shot, and all were in ML range for me. Making that first shot count is paramount for me. Either I have a good shot, or I have no shot. Some folks act like they are handicapped by using a ML... not even close to being true, unless you are a terrible shot. And even then having more shots available, might not matter. I think it might be the opposite... having only one shot may force you to be more selective. It does me.

I like doing things the old way. Shave with a safety razor & mug/brush, prefer hand powered tools, smokers, etc. went hunting one year & saw buckzilla tromping through the scrub brush. All I could see was the tops of his horns floating across the field. Me & another guy enjoyed the sight. Bubba got mad we didn't waste lead trying to thread the invisible needle to tag him. Same guy shot a deer in the arse, smoked a butt waiting for it to die as it tried to limp away... Started the hunt with a 40 oz. of Cobra beer. Never hit the woods with his likes again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back