which would you choose?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which would you choose?

• Rem700

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • CVA Accura

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • CVA Optima

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • TC Omega (stainless)

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Knight MK85 stainless

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Knight Disc Extreme

Votes: 24 35.3%

• Total voters

scottprice

Reaction score
Ive always been a flintlock guy, but since ill be hunting NJ now, I'm getting an inline as well..

Which of these would you choose and why? things to consider are durability, accuracy, ease of cleaning etc

Its really hard to go wrong with an Omega. I have had many different muzzleloaders, even a custom smokeless and I always seem to come back to the Omega. Your criteria of "durability, accuracy, ease of cleaning etc" sums up the Omega to a tee. And now that Boyds offers stocks for them you can customize them a bit more.

Here is a pic of my Omega and boyds stock.

2015%201_zpszccwbqdd.jpg

I believe that you need to add these two to your list.

Accura V2 & Accura MR

IMG_2743.jpg

I would go with the Disc Extreme for the closed ignition so I could shoot BH or any other powder, plus I like the Knights. I do have one MK-85 and those are great rifles too for Powders like Black, Pyrodex, 777. If I were to pick one of the others on your list it would probably be the Omega. I am not a fan of the Break Actions like the CVA's but it is just because I never liked the feel of them when I held them. When you talk Rem700, are you taking the new one or the old ones?

great info Shawn, thanks. I really like the knights as well.

Whats the main difference between pellets like 777 and Black Horn 209 (other than pellet vs loose)? Im used to using loose powder since I'm a flintlock guy, so i think i would prefer loose, correct me if I'm wrong.... but i have no experience with anything involved with inlines...

As for the 700s, i would guess that they are older, but i can't be sure. they are on GunBroker

I also found a White M97 Whitetail Hunter....looks like a solid rifle. But again, no knowledge of them.

Are you hunting with or without a scope? What is your price range? What type of hunting are you doing? Swamp, salt marsh, hills, stand, fields, ground stalking? I have used most of the rifles in your list and a bunch of others.

Cattledog said:
Are you hunting with or without a scope? What is your price range? What type of hunting are you doing? Swamp, salt marsh, hills, stand, fields, ground stalking? I have used most of the rifles in your list and a bunch of others.

Im not partial to scope or irons, I currently don't have a scope on any of my rifles and of course not on my flintlocks either. But, I won't turn down a good gun just because it doesn't have irons (like some MLs which don't come with irons)

I hunt both from a stand and stalking and this gun will see swamps, farmland, dense woods and hills/ridges of OH and NJ.

I would consider a new nitride accura MR with a scope or used knight ultralight if you can find one for a reasonable price. I just bought an ultralight last weekend. You will never worry about rust on either rifle.

I love my SS omega x7 but the stock is kinda in between a scope and iron sight setup. They are rare too. Perfect weight, easy to get parts too.

IMHO, avoid a Knight mountaineer is just too heavy for an all day carry. Great stand rifle though.

I would look for a 6 to7 lb rifle with scope that fits you. Stay away from out of production muzzleloaders except the omega. Parts and breech plugs can be very hard to source.

scottprice said:
ENCORE50A said:
Of the rifles listed, the Omega hands down.
Lost all flavor for break open rifles.
any reason for that?

Couple reasons and only my opinion. Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers.

I've never liked any CVA rifles, which are the only break open rifles you listed. If I were to have a break open rifle again, it would be another T/C Pro Hunter and either the 209x50 or XT. Reason for that is, there are a number of things you can do to them to make them better and for a very reasonable price of $50 or less. Break open rifles, in general, are not well known for extreme accuracy.
I'm also used to shooting a bolt now, which is in general a much more accurate rifle action for the type of shooting I do, much of it long range. Break open rifles don't do well at long range, but there may be a few rare exceptions.

Latest posts

Back