which would you choose?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which would you choose?

• Rem700

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • CVA Accura

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • CVA Optima

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • TC Omega (stainless)

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Knight MK85 stainless

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Knight Disc Extreme

Votes: 24 35.3%

• Total voters
Hornet22savage said:
I voted the following.

#1 Knight DISC Extreme, look for a good used one that is already converted to the Lehigh breech plug and don't look back. Blackhorn ready and if properly set up blowback free with Winchester W209 primers no harder to clean than an old side lock. Just remember if shooting BH209 to run a few dry patches to clean out the majority of the fouling first.

#2 Knight MK85, You will not be able to use BH209 in this rifle and the breech area will get dirty during firing but they are a classic and very accurate. If you can locate and use the Noble 1075 caps almost weather proof and it is piece of muzzle loading history.

#3 Would be the Remington 700ML, converted with the hunter bolt nose kit and breech plug. I hear if you can find one with a good barrel they shoot real well.

Well that pretty much sums it up - right to the point!

Aside from needing a socket to remove the plug i would have to agree. My Knights with a Lehigh plug are nearly spotless in the breach even after a lengthy range session.

I can "thoroughly" clean the trigger assembly with ease if needed. I find it much easier than a break action in this regard. Removing or even inspecting the trigger assembly on most break actions is no simple task. Then we move on to the firing pin and bushing. You need a tool to remove the bushing from a CVA to clean the firing pin. The Knight firing pin can be removed from the bolt body without any tools.

Take your pick, toolless breach plug or toolless firing pin. The same tool for a Knight stock is the same tool for the trigger assembly....Allen wrench. So when i think of a THOROUGH cleaning, i don't see much if any difference.

Quick field cleaning...yes the CVA or QRBP types are easier.

Compare a MK85 to a CVA NorthWest addition. Ever clean a really dirty break action before. Well you will and its a mess in the action. Lots of nooks and crannies that are hardly visible. Better be prepared to remove the buttstock and firing pin bushing every time you want to clean it. The powder used will be cleaned up with water based cleaner so be prepared for the possibility of rust in places you cant see.

In the case of NW compliant i would say the MK85 would be easier to thoroughly clean and inspect.

You buy a rifle yet? I voted but didn't voice my opinion. I like the 45 bullet and shoot it in a 50 with sabots. Picked up a couple 45 bores to shoot bullets in. Just wondering.

Voted for Knight Extreme from that list, but believe the Elite is the best MZ "out of the box".
Best barrels, trigger and breech plug system for hunting. If you want to upgrade for more accuracy, of course there are plenty of over the counter options for BP's, triggers, stocks, etc....
My most accurate rifle is a .45 Elite that has been bedded in it's original stock with original trigger and a bare 209 conversion kit.
It has shot several 3 shot groups on calm days at .31"@100yds & 1.1"@200yds (but most are .5"@100 & 1.25"@200 because i"m not the best shot).This is prone with bags....Even off a Harris bipod it averages 1.75" @200yds with some in the 1.5" and the largest still under 2.0"...
This is with 120gr BH209 under 200sst in Harv Smooth Blue sabot for 2375fps. 115gr & 125 shoot almost as well, but my best groups have come from 120gr so I stick with it and W209 primers.

I voted Omega with the Knight Disc Extreme a close second. I just like the Omega's quality and simplicity. Mine is an X7 and the carbine size suits the type of heavy wooded hunting I do most. The Extreme (with a Lehigh breech plug) is significantly heavier, especially mine, which does not have a fluted barrel. But the Extreme's advantage is that it seems to be more versatile, shooting more types of bullets, saboted or conicals, and can be set up to be Northwest compliant.

FYI, anyone looking for an X7 - they are getting pretty rare - there is one on Gunbroker. It is listed as a "Z7" so might get overlooked by most.

I voted Omega, been shooting TC's since 2005 with an Encore 209x50.
I did however just purchase a Traditions Vortek Ultralight. Its a nice carry gun for a break action and I do like the muzzle brake. I bought a 2nd hand Knight a couple years back and as much as it was accurate, it didn't carry as nice as my Encore and cleaning was a pain.

Latest posts

Back