which would you choose?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which would you choose?

• Rem700

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • CVA Accura

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • CVA Optima

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • TC Omega (stainless)

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Knight MK85 stainless

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Knight Disc Extreme

Votes: 24 35.3%

• Total voters
what inlines have a sealed ignition chamber and what makes them waterproof?? I always see ads of guys with inlines in the rain, and obviously that isn't possible with flintlocks. Of curse muzzle awareness is essential in rain so water doesn't run down, but if inlines are still fussy with rain in the ignition area, then ill just use my flintlock...

Alot of quality rifles on list.

The easiest all around to use to me would be cva apex or accura and 100 gr volume blackhorn and 290 tez .

Remington 700ml with bolt and breech upgrade are to quality and also gives a platform to build a true custom muzzleloader in future.

scottprice said:
what inlines have a sealed ignition chamber and what makes them waterproof?? ...... if inlines are still fussy with rain in the ignition area, then ill just use my flintlock...

Well out of the ones in your list cross off the Rem 700ML in original unmodified condition and the Knight MK85. They are "open bolt" type ignition and are subject to moisture problems in rain etc....

Of the ones left I'd still vote Omega. If you simply take out the 700ML and MK85 votes that makes the Disc Extreme and Omega way ahead of the CVA lineup.
This is my opinion and others may be different. W

Hope all well with you. W

Get the CVA accura or optima . You shoot black powder. You will love the nitride treatment. Corrosion will never be an issue.

1. Without a doubt I would get the 700ML with the bolt nose and breech plug upgrade. For what you are getting the price is very reasonable if it stays under $4C. Part out the scope and get something better.

2. The black blue Omega. Great gun, great price.

3. the SS Omega with camo stock. Natchez had same at very close to that price NIB within a month back. Good gun just a bit overpriced.

JMHO. W

When this is over tell us what you get.

scottprice said:
Thoughts on this?
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/635848556

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/633951303

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/634374203

Im probably going to grab a new CVA Accura Nitride MR or PR if you guys don't like these in the links
Since nobody has mentioned the QLA on T/C guns, in this case the Omega, I will. The QLA can be misaligned on some T/C rifles. If you are going to only shoot saboted bullets it shouldn't matter, but if you decide to try conical bullets you maybe disappointed in the accuracy. I have not owned an Omega, my brother does and shoots saboted bullets and powerbelts with no problems. I have owned an Encore and FireHawk that wouldn't shoot a conical bullet very accurate, to put it mildly.

Just to make you aware, nothing else. I personally prefer and own several White rifles, take it for what its worth!

scottprice said:
Lee 9 said:
Then there is real black and Pyrodex which do not have as high an energy content but are excellent powders and lower in price.
I shoot GOEX in all my flintlocks and am extremely happy with it. How do you think that would perform in an inline? Lets say compared to BH209...
Keep in mind I have only shot and hunted with flintlocks, sorry for all the questions

Since the NMRLA started the in-line match 4-5 years ago (AGG-IH format, 50-330yds), Swiss and BH hold all the inline records for this AGG. You can probably get Goex to do very well in many of the rifles suggested on this post.
There is no magic powder/bullet load that will work for everyone in every rifle.

anyone that shoots the Optima V2 Nitride...how is the comb height for using the irons? Then when you throw a scope on, how is the alignment then?

My V2 is the thumb hole version and alignment with the scope is very good. Can't speak to the open sights as gun didn't come with them. I hope this helps.

I just went and held an Accura MR (scoped) and Optima V2 (mount only).

The Optima V2 had a thumb hole stock, my eye was dead center through the mounts, solid as can be. On the MR it seemed like I was a bit low on the scope and had to come up a hair to get a good sight picture. But those rubberized Accura stocks are sweetttt

I wonder if the drop is the same between the V2 thumbhole and the V2 regular stock... I'm not a huge fan of thumbholes

I have an Accura and got the gun for hunting. I think one needs to know what exactly he'll be using the gun for before committing to a purchase. I hunt and seldom see shots much beyond 100 yards and most of the last ten deer I have tagged have dropped within 20 yards of me. What I have seen on the range has shown the Accura to be very, very accurate at 100 yards and inside that distance. Its all I need, but in fact my Impact drops them inside that same 100 yards just fine.

If I was into distance shooting I would have looked in a different direction when I was shopping and maybe spent that $1000 for a better gun. Regardless, I always shop for MY needs and that can narrow a search down by a lot of $$$. Gotta keep in mind that a Cadillac can have as many problems brand new off the showroom floor, or develop them later, as the cheapest Ford Focus. What do YOU need from a gun?

Sounds like we have the same needs MrTom. My current longest kill in about 14 years and 65 or so deer is 74 yards. I don't see that changing.

Coming from a flintlock background the cleaning doesn't bother me, a blued gun would be just as safe as a nitride for me, but the nitride is attractive especially for a lifelong gun. I enjoy irons because that's what's I grew up on, but that doesn't mean I won't buy something like the Accura MR just because irons aren't an option

scottprice said:
Sounds like we have the same needs MrTom. My current longest kill in about 14 years and 65 or so deer is 74 yards. I don't see that changing.

Coming from a flintlock background the cleaning doesn't bother me, a blued gun would be just as safe as a nitride for me, but the nitride is attractive especially for a lifelong gun. I enjoy irons because that's what's I grew up on, but that doesn't mean I won't buy something like the Accura MR just because irons aren't an option

Iron sights are not a factory option on the Accura MR, but they darn sure are an option. They have a drilled & tapped hole for the front sight. They do not have a drilled & tapped hole for the rear sight in the conventional spot above the forend. They do have several holes above the receiver for a receiver/peep sight.

I just checked one of the brand new Accura MR Nitrides out two weeks ago, and they still have the d&t'd hole for the front sight. If you are beyond the age of 55ish like me, the standard sight configuration can be a little blurry at best. The peep sight with the different sized apertures available can be the difference of still being able to use sights, or only being able to use a scope.

Go back and read your initial post in this thread. Here, I'll copy and paste it here for you.

Ive always been a flintlock guy, but since ill be hunting NJ now, I'm getting an inline as well..

Which of these would you choose and why? things to consider are durability, accuracy, ease of cleaning etc.

Rem700
CVA Accura
CVA Optima
TC Omega (stainless)
Knight MK85 stainless
Knight Disc Extreme

The only thing I would add is the MR on the Accura, and the V2 on the Optima.

The Knights all fail the "ease of cleaning" consideration. I have owned an original MK-85 since the late 80's, 30ish years. I also currently still own 5 Knights, and owned 3 others. Original MK-85 Hunter, TK2000, Knight original .45 cal 1:20 twist D.I.S.C., .45 cal Disc Elite, .50 cal Disc Extreme. All the bolt rifles have been upgraded to the Knight & Lehigh bare primer conversions. None of these are easy to clean.

I have 3 White Rifles that are all plunger hammer rifles that are also not in the easy to clean category. They are easier to clean than the Knights, however.

Still have a T/C .54 cal percussion. You know how these are to clean.

Have 3 H&R/NEF .50 cal Tip-Up rifles 1 Huntsman & 2 Sidekicks. These all have custom breech plugs with vent liners installed. Very easy to clean in this configuration.

1 H&R/NEF .45-70 Slufoot conversion. Savage breech plug installed, now a .45 cal 1:20 twist muzzleloader. Easy to clean.

CVA Optima Pistol in .50 cal. Extremely easy to clean.

CVA Apex .50 cal. Extremely easy to clean.

I've really come to appreciate my Tip-Up rifles and pistol. I consider them all durable, accurate, and easy to clean. Unfortunately, most of those old Knights, Whites, and T/C have been just sitting in the safe for the last several years. I'm sure more will be going down the road like some of the others already have.

This forum historically has been notoriously biased in favor Knight Rifles in the past. CVA gets a bad rap from a few of the die-hards, and Pre 2010, I was in their boat. CVA has really stepped up their game over the last 6-7 years, and some of the others have taken a few/several steps back, IMO. That includes rifle quality, and Customer Service. I've dealt with all the Companies Customer Service over the years. Things are just not the way they used to be, and there is currently some that are head and shoulders above the others. It don't take a lot of reading in the forums to figure that out. Pitiful, but it is what it is. More and more are figuring it out as the years go by, and yet some never will.

Good luck with your decision, but with current production rifles, mine would be the CVA Accura MR Nitride, with the CVA Optima V2 Nitride right behind it. I'm also not a fan of the thumbhole or dog-leg stocks on hunting rifles.

The nitride guns only have the barrels finished correct? If that's the case I'll probably just go stainless. I've seen some chipping issues on the receivers of Accuras...

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

scottprice said:
The nitride guns only have the barrels finished correct? If that's the case I'll probably just go stainless. I've seen some chipping issues on the receivers of Accuras...

That is correct. The barrels are stainless before getting the nitride treatment. The receiver and breech plug are coated with something.

The stainless rifles would have the same coating on the receivers, just a different color.

T/C and others use this type of faux coating on the entire rifles, including the barrels to make them look stainless. CVA uses real Stainless Steel barrels.

scottprice said:

I would be curious on where you saw the chipping on Accura receivers and if they were V2s or MRs?

I voted the following.

#1 Knight DISC Extreme, look for a good used one that is already converted to the Lehigh breech plug and don't look back. Blackhorn ready and if properly set up blowback free with Winchester W209 primers no harder to clean than an old side lock. Just remember if shooting BH209 to run a few dry patches to clean out the majority of the fouling first.

#2 Knight MK85, You will not be able to use BH209 in this rifle and the breech area will get dirty during firing but they are a classic and very accurate. If you can locate and use the Noble 1075 caps almost weather proof and it is piece of muzzle loading history.

#3 Would be the Remington 700ML, converted with the hunter bolt nose kit and breech plug. I hear if you can find one with a good barrel they shoot real well.

Back