Loads for a 1-20 .45 Mountaineer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
I have a bunch of loads in mind already but I am just curious what others with these guns are having good luck with?

I only shoot blackhorn and sabotless copper jacket bullets.

120 gr by volume and parker 275 ballistic extreme with .462x.060 veggie wads shoot great.

Bullets come from parker productions and are .451 diameter typically to small but bob parker can send them knurled up and you can size to fit.

03mossy said:
I have a bunch of loads in mind already but I am just curious what others with these guns are having good luck with?

Just about anything I can load into mine will shoot great with 120 grains of T7 or 120 BH does not matter! I do use the MMP Light Tan sabot and a Rem primer...

FT_Shoot_Composite.jpg

This bullet is really good!

Loading.jpg

Even shot a few of these

465_gr._Bull_Shop.jpg

Your post is timely for the 45 Mtnr 1:20. Had a few powder charges from the match in Tenn a week ago left over and had a thought - with the match being rifle butt supported by shooter, could/would the load shoot any better with a bag under the butt?
At the match, I didn't have sight settings with 3F Swiss (figured I would be close). Since I started the match at 200, I was able to adjust and shoot a good 5 shot group within the 8 shots.
Match in TN match group at 200.

Could the rifle and shooter do it again with 3F ?
This evening after work, stopped by the range, loaded and made 2 clicks down from the match and 1 click right from recorded setting from the match. 1st shot in the X, 2nd low, 3,4 in group, 5th high. Group measured 0.950" center-to-center.

I answered my question - YES, but I don't know if every group shot, one could expect 2x the group size when supporting by the shoulder vs rear bag?
I have to agree with Col Whelen: "only accurate rifles are interesting" - and this is a factory rifle.

Attachments

• 200 A.jpg
    200 A.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 272
  • 200 1.JPG
    200 1.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 272
  • 200 3.jpg
    200 3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 272
With 460 grain no excuse conicals what would be the max charge of BH209? I want to push the upper limits with that big lead but not to the point lof leading.

03mossy said:
With 460 grain no excuse conicals what would be the max charge of BH209? I want to push the upper limits with that big lead but not to the point lof leading.

I would not go over 80gr by volume with BIG .451 conicals. Try 70gr by volume and sized to around .001 to .0015 over lands. That load should get you right around 1300fps but i would have to dig up my data to be sure. 80gr was over 1400fps in my Pacnor45 1-22 27".

For competition i shot Parker Emax (270) bullets Knurled . They seem to shoot very well . Also Parker Bullistic Extreems (250,275 or 300s) shoot very well but not so great in the wind at long range . Parker 250s will shoot good out to 200 yards after that things start getting goofy .

May i ask what match is shot in Tennessee ?

Latest posts

Back