Conicals for in lines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. About a month ago I shot my first muzzleloader. It was very fun. I used powerbelt bullets that came with a CVA shooters kit. The next tme I shoot my CVA wolf in line I want to try a lead conicals, Hornady Great Plains, .50 caliber, 385 grains. Has anyone had experience with conicals in an in line? The powerbelts worked well but the conicals are very economic to shoot. Any help is greatly appreciated

I would use a card wad between bullet and powder and start in the lower powder charge Say 70grns there abouts. Look at some of the loads for the white rifles. Same applies for other makes of rifle. You dont have to shoot large powder charges with a heavy conical for fine accuracy. Some rifles dont like a card wad some do your gun will tell you whats best.

My cva didn't care for conicals to much best I ever did was 70 grains of 777 with 1/2 inch thick wad under the conicals but I never shot the light conical that your thinking of either.

Hey there muzzleloader68.

You might try this for some fairly inexpensive shooting with a bullet that is accurate in most guns and also a great hunting bullet.

Order a box of Hornady 240 grain .44 caliber XTP's (100 bullets) and two packs of Harvester 50/44 sabots (50 sabots per pack) from Grafs and Son. With their $7.95 flat rate shipping included you will be paying 47¢ per bullet. That's about the best deal going.

Bullets: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... uctId/6530

Sabots: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... uctId/5479

If using a lead conical bullet is it necessary to use a wad between the bullet and the powder? I thought the advantage of using a lead conical was they had a hollow base that expanded when the powder was ignited and they made their way out of the barrel?

wads are not absolutely necessary for conicals, but do a couple of good things. They protect the soft lead from the powder blast which seems to help with accuracy and helps keep your barrel from "leading" (getting lead deposits in the bore).

Also, not all conicals have a open rear bell. Many have flat bases (no excuses, bullshop, etc) I acutally like these better than flat wads: http://mmpsabots.com/store/50-cal-bbsb- ... -sub-base/ These kind of act like the bell on the powerbelts but don't add near the cost

I shot a 500gr Paper Patch bullet out of a 50cal 1:28 with very good success, had a flat base and I used a wad - not as good as a 45 1:20 thou. I used 85gr Swiss Black Powder and was 1 of 2 shooters in the 1st in-line match to knock over all the silhouettes (200M & 300M) My little rifle had a simple 4x scope - on a very windy day!
Others have mentioned wads, which is good - for a flat based bullet (I wouldn't even bother with cavity based bullets, your rifling is shallow enough to easily upset pure lead).
They also mentioned - no need to pushing too fast. No one have ever correlated more speed = more accurate. Practice with powder charges and find what your rifle likes..
For me, soft (Pure) lead is they way to go starting out.
Good Luck

Thank you everyone for your responses. I appreciate the advice very much. I knew the "old salty dogs" of this board were a knowledgeable and a good bunch who would have good answers. I thank everyone once again. I am shooting tomorrow at targets and will let you know my experiences.

Back