Best weatherproof inline review and opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Smith III

Reaction score
I will be looking to buy a new inline for a hunt in 2018. I have been trying to find information on which inline's have the best weatherproofing. I like the CVA acura but don't know if they come with open sights. All I have looked at were tapped for scopes. I also just looked at a TC Triumph that was very nice. Wanted to know some opinions and reviews. It has to have open sights.

Can't argue with the above suggestion. I have never had an issue with any of my in-lines if I take some precautions. Both of mine are older Knight plunger rifles an LK-93 and MK-85. I take off a week during muzzle loader season and am out rain or shine. I think with some prep before wet weather any rifle out there would be fine.

Not a new production but I've hunted my Omega in some pretty heavy rain with no issues. Vividly remember a early season doe I shot with the rain water running off the bill of my hat as I aimed.

IMO, the best weatherproofing is stainless steel, plain and simple. Then would be the types of barrel treatments that molecularly change the composition of the metal, like the nitride treatment by CVA on the Accura or the "Armornite" used by TC on the Strike. Any coatings (like Weathershield) would be a distant third.

Since you want it to shoot open sights you may have to shoulder a few to see which fits the best with you.

While we are on the subject of weather proofing. I have seen people with looks like small balloons or tape on the end of their barrel to keep out the rain. Does anyone have any insights on this? My luck, the first time I try it, I'd mushroom the last six inches of my barrel.

A balloon or tape is not a barrel obstruction. Water from rain can be a barrel obstruction. Tape the muzzle if you ground hunt in rain. This should have been covered in hunters education class.

donparadowski said:
While we are on the subject of weather proofing. I have seen people with looks like small balloons or tape on the end of their barrel to keep out the rain. Does anyone have any insights on this? My luck, the first time I try it, I'd mushroom the last six inches of my barrel.

I use small kids balloons myself. Keeps rain out and also serves 2 other purposes, Rifle has a charge in it indication and also if punctured Barrel needs checked for obstruction. Like mentioned it or tape is not an obstruction and the air pressure of the bullet moving up the barrel blows them off before it reaches the muzzle.

Cattledog said:
A balloon or tape is not a barrel obstruction. Water from rain can be a barrel obstruction. Tape the muzzle if you ground hunt in rain. This should have been covered in hunters education class.
I got my first hunting lisc. here in Michigan just after the last Ice Age. I was grandfathered in on the hunter safety thing...but I did take a course anyways before it was required and documentation was not very good at the time since it was not needed. They did not cover that sort of thing.

donparadowski said:
Is there a commercial "balloon" that I could purchase?
I use the kids balloons you find in a party store or party supply isle at Walmart. You can usually get a pretty good size bag for around $1. Sort out the one i like and give the rest to some kids. You can find some muzzle mitts at places like Cabelas but they are overpriced in my book.

One of the Balloons I use would look just like this one.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... 997383.uts

Traditions makes a rain kit with the little balloons and bands for 11 cap. Balloons, cut fingertips from rubber gloves/ saran wrap with electric tape..anything works. I just keep barrel down in the rain.

Look for finger cots at pretty much any drug store such as CVS or Walgreens.

9783_9782_m3.finger.cots.gif

Much cheaper ones can be found at printing supply outlets.

GM54-120 said:
Look for finger cots at pretty much any drug store such as CVS or Walgreens.

9783_9782_m3.finger.cots.gif

Much cheaper ones can be found at printing supply outlets.

I use these if the weather is threatening ran or snow.

For older style inlines and sidelock percussions. Put a wrapped plumbers tape across the face of the nipple before installing it. Completely seals the rear of the charge from moisture. Cap blast shreds it and there is no effect on ignition.

Not sure what he wants in line of "weather proof". Gun most resistant to rust/corrosion/damage from weather or a gun that goes bang in fog/downpour/high humidity? there is a big difference in the two. Most any break action/hinger type action can be very "weather proof" for ignition. After that it is a long and deep discussion subject to much prejudice/misinformation/sales propaganda. W

i have 3 plungers i shoot at the range. i slip a piece of plastic rubber tubing over the cap and nipple and get about zero blow back. after 10 rounds the action remains clean. i have not tried it in the rain but if gas is not getting out, it is unlikely water is getting in.

dr1445 said:
i have 3 plungers i shoot at the range. i slip a piece of plastic rubber tubing over the cap and nipple and get about zero blow back. after 10 rounds the action remains clean. i have not tried it in the rain but if gas is not getting out, it is unlikely water is getting in.

Interesting. Do you have a picture?

Re the OP question regarding weatherproofing... are you talking about keeping the gun itself weatherproof, or the ignition?
If the gun, personally I like (real) stainless rifles. I have not used the other coatings and such, but I know they have some value also. I know others here have.
If the ignition, I personally have not had any issues with my Knight bolt rifles using bare primer plug. But I am not hunting in pouring rain, typically only light rain. I have a friend that has used his Knight disc with the red plastic jacket ignition in pouring rain on hunts, never had a problem going bang. My understanding is that setup is pretty darn bulletproof when it comes to being weatherproof.

Latest posts

Back