New Old Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking gun. If it's shooting that good I wouldn't be concerned with the pitting.

WV Hunter said:
.....Do you notice any difference when shooting the different plugs?

Never used the plug with the flat face that came with this rifle. What i did was use a plug that was modified a few month ago. Have been shooting only the one plug since hunting season ended. The flame channel was enlarged to 5/32", and the primer seat was made deeper about 0.020", so an o-ring can be used under the primer. This one plug has been used in different rifles most all this year. Can't really say if enlarging the flame channel is much of a benefit. Enabling the plug to use an o-ring is definitely a plus. There is zero, zero blow by, around the primer, when using the o-ring.

For the past couple year or so, i always use a modified plug for practice, and always use a standard factory plug for hunting.

The old style plug might be a good candidate for a tungsten/carbide bushing modification. IIRC Pete at PA machine makes a slightly similar plug with a bushing.

This pic shows the different styles of Omega/Encore plugs that were on the market one time or another

plugs1.jpg

3Rd plug from the left is a Black Diamond/Northwest hunter plug. That thin sealing surface drives me nuts. Wish they made the plug like the original Omega... I would like to find one of those to experiment on.

Confederate rifleman said:
...Wish they made the plug like the original Omega... I would like to find one of those to experiment on.
I just sent you a PM Message... Will ship you the old-style flat-faced Omega plug from my picture up above.

Tight groups.

Old No7

SteveH said:
sabotloader said:
This pic shows the different styles of Omega/Encore plugs that were on the market one time or another

What is the diff between the second and the fourth plugs?

If I remember right it was the depth of the powder cavity - but it was a long time ago!

This morning the rusted, pitted, Omega, was given a try at 200 yard. The elevation dial was turned up 9 moa (36 clicks). First shot of three was from a clean cold barrel. The two succeeding shots were loaded, and shot without wait. Temperature was about 38 degrees; elevation is about 4600'. The load was 300 grain XTP, 60 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, black crush rib sabot, W209 primer.

IMG_2305.JPG

The breech plug used was this one, which has a couple of modifications.

Latest posts

Back