New Old Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_2283.JPG

The seller described it as being used, but in excellent condition. It doesn't seem it was ever fired. The packing grease in the barrel was hardened, and kinda difficult to remove. The breech plug surprised me, because it had a flat face without a chamber for the powder; i had never seen one like it. The firing pin is in the old style block The paint on the ram rod was without scratches. Yesterday a 2x - 7x scope was mounted, and the breech plug, and ramrod replaced, with used versions. After a few shots the rifle was about sighted in.

This morning, shooting commenced with a clean cold barrel; target was at 100 yard. The load was 60 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, 300g XTP, black crush rib sabot, W209 primer. The first four shots made 4 holes some left. The fifth shot didn't leave a hole. So i assumed it went close to one of the first four holes; that was OK i figured--kinda neat actually. The sixth shot didn't leave a hole; i panicked, and was much disappointed. Ever once in a while one sees two shots in the same hole, but i knew it couldn't happen twice in a row; i walked out to the target, and still couldn't see the last two shots; i figured something was haywire.

IMG_2281.JPG

The target was photographed, then taped, and i walked back to the rifle with dread; knowing something was not good. Then three shots were made at the taped target; what a pleasant surprise. All three shots made holes in the tape.

It's a shame TC stopped producing them. My X7 is a tack driver .

Ron I could be wrong, but I had thought the flat omega plug came out first ,then the concave later to be used with pellets .

Seems if you can get an omega these days for a fair price one should buy them.

That's a nice group and Omega to boot!
I have my eye on two of them right now. Ones a stainless with grey laminate stock the other is the Z5 with synthetic T-hole stock.
Both in pristine condition. Problem is I only need 1 and I also have my eye on a TC Renegade in .54cal so decisions decision's,,, :D

This morning the rifle shot good once again; nothing changed.

After cleaning it, i looked down the barrel accidentally with cheaters, and saw 'something'. Previously i had always looked down the barrel without cheaters, and the barrel looked bright, and shiny. Curiosity had me put a camera in the barrel. The first photo was taken near the muzzle.

IMG_2286.JPG

The photo led me to scrubbing the barrel with JB bore cleaner, and then another photo.

IMG_2295.JPG

Next two photo near the center of the barrel, before, and after scrubbing with JB.

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2296.JPG

Last photo of a Dream Season barrel, which was purchased new.

IMG_2294.JPG

Seems i should have titled this thread New Old Pitted Old Omega.

Too bad on the bore. Good thing they made many Omega's, nice design.
Easy come, easy go.

Wow. That stinks. Couple of those spots look pretty deep. I bought an MK85 once that looked good but while cleaning saw black stuff coming out one the patches. I think it was paint or something like it. I think they tried to cover it up. :roll:

If scrubbing it out don't make it more consistent, then guess it could be a donor action for a Bestill Build. :wink:

sure pitts look bad but if you're getting minute of deer it's Ok just JB on a regular basis and it'll be just fine. Proof is in the X ring. Or PM me and I'm interested in a used/abused Omega for a Bestill build. W

This morning the plan was to practice off hand shooting using B.O.R. Lock 270 grain bullets.

IMG_2303.JPG

One can almost see the target in the center of the photo. The snow made me lose interest in standing out; getting wet, and cold. Instead, i shot from inside the truck. Was able to get the truck 95 yard out. One elbow on the steering wheel, the other on the arm rest. Load was 60 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, W209 primer.

borlock.jpg

Seven shots made a shotgun pattern. Switched to Parker 275 grain bullet. Made no scope adjustments, then took three more shots; called it quits. Load was the Parker bullet, 60 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, crush rib sabot, W209 primer.

parkerbe.jpg

Wow what a difference. Do you have plans to try the hornady fpb Ron ?

For those who want to see the old/flat versus TC's newer/cupped breech plug designs, here's a pix:

Old_vs_New_Omega_Breech_Plugs.JPG

The one on the left came on my New-to-me/Old-Stock Omega, but thankfully, mine doesn't have any pitting... Yet! :wink:

Old No7

Latest posts

Back