My birthday present...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To myself :mrgreen:

eac715d3-29e2-484d-bc5f-a69170e981cf_zpskakkhmhl.jpg

Sweet! NIB or new to you? Should burn that BH209 and put the bullets where ya want them to go. W

X7 ???
If so does it have a green or red front site ..
Steve

Happy Birthday Mike. Sweet looking rifle. :yeah: Is that the shorter barreled Omega? I seem to always forget which was X7 and Z5, and probably have that wrong.

Thanks guys. Yeah, its an X7 .50 cal. :D

So I have to give a shout out to SteveH.... he put a post up in another thread about it being on gunbroker listed incorrectly. I've been looking for one of these for many years after passing on one that I should have bought. They seem to just not be available much anymore or super expensive when they are...so when this one came up, the price was right so I grabbed her up! Its in superb shape, not a mark on it and apparently only fired a few dozen times. It came with a big tool box full of accessories, bullets, powder, primers, etc...the guy was getting out of MLing. And the best part was that there was a Warne 1pc base and Warne rings :yeah: Anyone need some powerbelts? :lol: :lol:

sbuff... yes, it has a green fiber optic sight on the front. The guy told me TC sent it to him because the original one on the rifle was apparently the wrong height from the factory. I'll be taking off the peep for now and I have a Nikon Omega 3-9x40 thats been on my bench a while looking for a home :mrgreen: Should be a perfect setup!

Can't wait to get her set up and shot. I am amazed at how light and maneuverable this rifle is... even better than I expected :yeah:

So yes, it was a good birthday - my 50th. We just got home from eating bday dinner at Texas Road House where my son (19) told me its all downhill from here, and my daughter (16) said I'm old and can't see good anymore. Oh the love we get from our kids.... :lol:

What a happy Birthday that is. Mine was the 24th.

If I recall the green site is the wrong one, I had TC send me the red one . I'd have to confirm my notes but I believe the green is to low a site to work accordingly with the peep. Once I installed the red front site it was a match made in heaven.

Should shoot like a dream with that scope, as soon as I feel I can't use the peep on mine that's the same scope I'll be putting on.

My X7 loves anything that goes down the barrel but my top three have to be 300gr deep curls, 300 gr xtp or the 350gr FPB.
It still blows my mind why TC stopped making the Mountain gun as they called it.
Can't wait to see a shooting report .

sbuff said:
What a happy Birthday that is. Mine was the 24th.

If I recall the green site is the wrong one, I had TC send me the red one . I'd have to confirm my notes but I believe the green is to low a site to work accordingly with the peep. Once I installed the red front site it was a match made in heaven.

Should shoot like a dream with that scope, as soon as I feel I can't use the peep on mine that's the same scope I'll be putting on.

My X7 loves anything that goes down the barrel but my top three have to be 300gr deep curls, 300 gr xtp or the 350gr FPB.
It still blows my mind why TC stopped making the Mountain gun as they called it.
Can't wait to see a shooting report .

I honestly don't know, so I'm just passing along what he told me. The front sight on this rifle is just under 1/2" tall... he said it shot right in once he installed it. From what I have read the incorrect front sights are more like 1/3" tall. ??

Regardless, it don't matter to me. I'll be using the Omega :mrgreen: :yeah:

Thanks for the info on the loads.

Oh, and can anyone tell me which breechplug is the correct one for this rifle, should I need to buy another one at some point? :yeah:

50! You're just a baby! :lol: I remember when my dad turned 45 and I said to myself "My God, he's so old now". Now that I'm 66, I wish I was 45 even 50 now. Grin.

Glad to hear you got a great birthday present and you spent quality time with the family!

Ed

The TC plug listed for the encore/omega 209X50 I believe model 7763....typically between 13-21 bucks depending. I thought I read TC sourced all that stuff out now to Japan?????
Steve

edmehlig said:
50! You're just a baby! :lol: I remember when my dad turned 45 and I said to myself "My God, he's so old now". Now that I'm 66, I wish I was 45 even 50 now. Grin.

Glad to hear you got a great birthday present and you spent quality time with the family!

Ed

Thanks Ed. You know, I remember the same type of stuff. I can recall when I was young hearing my parents talk about "20yrs ago we did..." and I remember thinking "man, they are talking atout 20 years ago - I'm not even 20 yet".

So much for that! Time flies so fast... :D

Awesome!! Glad someone from here picked that one off of GB. Incorrectly listed as a "Z7" if I recall. Welcome to the X7 club.
And Happy Birthday!!

Most all Omega have the same exact head space. Here lately I have been using the same breech plug in several different Omega. The factory plug, and all Omega, provide a slight 'crush' to W209 primers, or the 777 primer. This slight 'crush' keeps blow by to a minimum. The W209 primer is the only primer i use in factory breech plugs; all other primer are too short to make a good seal.

It was very difficult for me to get my X7 shooting high enough, it kept shooting low because the front sight was too tall. This issue was kinda cured by removing material from the bottom of the front sight. The sight with the green optic, was too tall, the sight with the red optic is shorter. The wgrs sight is lacking in vertical adjustment is why i fought with it. The best real cure was to replace the wgrs sight with an FP sight; it is wonderful.

The Omega breech plug leaves too much of the primer unsupported. In warm weather the W209 primers leak between the anvil, and the cup. The leakage can be kinda helped by enlarging the flame channel to 5/32". One primer that doesn't leak through as much as the W209, is the STS. The STS is too short for the Omega, so one gets a lot of blow by around the primer. This can be cured by making the primer socket about 0.015" deeper, and using a metric o-ring under the primer. Another way to eliminate blow by, and leakage through the primer, is to modify the breech plug to use large rifle magnum primers and an o-ring.

My opinion is the X7 is the least accurate Omega; the best group i ever shot in my life was with an X7. :?:

That's a better present than the standard coffee cup and socks. Sometimes you just have to be nice to your self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronlaughlin said:
Most all Omega have the same exact head space. Here lately I have been using the same breech plug in several different Omega. The factory plug, and all Omega, provide a slight 'crush' to W209 primers, or the 777 primer. This slight 'crush' keeps blow by to a minimum. The W209 primer is the only primer i use in factory breech plugs; all other primer are too short to make a good seal.

It was very difficult for me to get my X7 shooting high enough, it kept shooting low because the front sight was too tall. This issue was kinda cured by removing material from the bottom of the front sight. The sight with the green optic, was too tall, the sight with the red optic is shorter. The wgrs sight is lacking in vertical adjustment is why i fought with it. The best real cure was to replace the wgrs sight with an FP sight; it is wonderful.

The Omega breech plug leaves too much of the primer unsupported. In warm weather the W209 primers leak between the anvil, and the cup. The leakage can be kinda helped by enlarging the flame channel to 5/32". One primer that doesn't leak through as much as the W209, is the STS. The STS is too short for the Omega, so one gets a lot of blow by around the primer. This can be cured by making the primer socket about 0.015" deeper, and using a metric o-ring under the primer. Another way to eliminate blow by, and leakage through the primer, is to modify the breech plug to use large rifle magnum primers and an o-ring.

Thank for the info Ron! I know you are an Omega guru. :yeah:

ronlaughlin said:
My opinion is the X7 is the least accurate Omega; the best group i ever shot in my life was with an X7. :?:

Haha, who knows.
Well my goal is to be able to shoot about half as good as you, so I'll probably be OK with the X7 :D

Latest posts

Back