Prone vrs bench

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougs136Schwartz

Reaction score
Been watching some videos on prone shooting . I honestly cannot say I can think of ever shooting prone . How much harder is it to shoot prone . Do I need to do things much different? Thanks

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Been watching some videos on prone shooting . I honestly cannot say I can think of ever shooting prone . How much harder is it to shoot prone . Do I need to do things much different? Thanks

I'd bet most those videos you watched shooting prone were shooting CR rifles? I was brought up with firearms of all sorts. I can say for fact, I've never shot from prone in 60 years. I guess the guys out west where they're more or less required to shoot prone do so, but for modern inline hunters, it would be rare to find a hunter who shoots prone. I started with muzzleloaders in 1973, and have yet to see another hunter with a bi-pod or pair of cross sticks. Modern inline hunters just don't practice, shoot, or hunt from prone positions. Many ranges will not allow shooters to shoot prone.
Although I have not shoot prone myself, yet, before the knee injury I attempted to practice the form. Built a dandy set of cross sticks too. Its not as easy as some might suggest. First thing I noticed was the eye relief change. I also had to raise the comb. Getting behind the rifle correctly, I'm told, is critical. I went to a BPCR shoot a week ago and watched them shoot at 300 and 600yds prone. One lady that shot well too! I watched them make many adjustments before they even sent their four sighters. IIRC, they gave them 3 minutes to get their form correct before they even sent a sighter!

I have a friend that spent years in the Marines. And one afternoon (many years ago) we went out to shoot. I of course took a table and a bench mount system to shoot from. He took a blanket. And he shocked the devil out of me when he spread that blanket out, laid down on it and proceeded to shoot the center out of his target. We laughed about it but he said, he was trained by some of the best shooters in the world. So I guess its a matter of preference and training.

On a hunting note, I have shot prone but prefer a set of shooting sticks or a good solid rest type situation. Even with muzzle loaders, when hunting, I wilt lean into a tree and use the tree as a bench rest of sorts. In my tree stands I have shooting sticks. In one I even use a shooting rope. Its just a rope hung down from the building edges. The rifle is hung in the loop of the rope and you adjust high and low by how much rope you let out. It sounds funny but it is like a floating set of sticks and it works great. If your in the stand.

When walking I walk with a shooting stick. Again its more like a portable tree to lean on. But I have made some great shots of it. And I do practice off it each year.
229519_3249127687513_410912109_n_zpsnxrjlo8p.jpg

The best book I have seen and the one I learned from is called "the leather sling and shooting positions " by Jim owens. USMC retired. Website is jarheadtop.com if I remember right

If you have a good bench rest use it on the ground, just like F- Class NRA matches. Main thing prone is body alignment , to me at one time it was steadier than a bench. I too learned in Marine Corp. We were taught all positions as matter of fact. Prone was the steadiest of the lot. That was using a sling not a rest. Has nothing to do with hunting. A hunter uses at the time what is available for the shot . You want a hard match to shoot try positions in a match.

positions are Offhand -200, Sitting at 300, Prone at 500. There is one more called Kneeling. I don't know where the idea that most ranges won't allow shooting prone safest of the lot.

45cal said:
positions are Offhand -200, Sitting at 300, Prone at 500. There is one more called Kneeling. I don't know where the idea that most ranges won't allow shooting prone safest of the lot.

Many organized ranges won't. Many of them are all setup with benches. They won't allow shooters to shoot prone with others shooting off benches. A few of the state ranges here that are regulated, won't allow any prone shooting. It wasn't to long ago that it was mentioned on site.

Of course the military requires prone shooting, but most modern inline hunters will never use that position. Never would say that nobody ever does, but the majority of inline muzzleloader hunters don't. Most mid-west and eastern (not all) hunters either hunt from a ladder stand or climber, or just shoot from a coop (As seen on TV) LOL. Those forced to hunt state lands, well they normally shoot off the side of a tree, stump, or over a log. Properties are so hacked up into 5,10, and 20 acre parcels, people just build raised platforms and shoot off the window.

Given the choice, the highest percentage of shooters will choose the bench. Now I didn't make your shoots this spring, but did the last couple years. You could count on one hand the number of shooters who preferred to shoot prone, 35 shooters one year, 21 the next. Same couple guys who prefer to shoot prone, everyone else brought their portable benches.

For hunting I carry a set of sticks and I use a no pulse sling . That way I can shoot from any position. I am practicing with the sling on the Remington Bestill custom at the moment.. The sling is very versatile but I especially like it for standing . I prefer the sticks for kneeling

A sling with a wrist rest as used in International ML Competition is as steady as a front and rear rest.

I'd like to learn how to shoot with a sling correct . You would think shooting prone would be hard on your collar bone ? Like I said before I've never really shot prone but I'm game for anything . Heck a year ago I never really ever shot from a bench either . Now I'm up for shooting in about any position . I just like to shoot .

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I'd like to learn how to shoot with a sling correct . You would think shooting prone would be hard on your collar bone ? Like I said before I've never really shot prone but I'm game for anything . Heck a year ago I never really ever shot from a bench either . Now I'm up for shooting in about any position . I just like to shoot .

Feel Free to try this one!

Attachments

• C&I American.jpg
    C&I American.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 543
I've never target shot prone in my life. Maybe I will try it sometime.
I did shoot a groundhog once with my .22-250 at 500yds - prone :yeah: Only took me 3 tries to get the wind drift right :lol:

I avoid the bench and try to shoot from the positions that I use hunting and yes that includes prone as my preferred position whether I'm shooting my muzzy or one of my centerfires if the animal gives me the opportunity I'll shoot from prone every chance I get.

If we are talking hunting I never shoot prone . Normally can't get above the crops or grass . All shooting Is done from bench style seating . Either in a blind or from a tree stand with a rail .

Dougs136Schwartz said:
If we are talking hunting I never shoot prone . Normally can't get above the crops or grass . All shooting Is done from bench style seating . Either in a blind or from a tree stand with a rail .
Tree stand ???What's that ??? :)

When rifles that will be used hunting on the prairie are sighted in, i always finish by using a bipod on the bench, at 200 yard. Then i shoot prone using said bipod; no butt rest, at 200 yard. Sometimes the poi changes a little. When all makes sense, the sights are returned to a 100 yard zero. The vast majority of my prairie kills have been done prone.

1874sharpsshooter said:
Dougs136Schwartz said:
Tree stand ???What's that ??? :)
LOL, Some parts of the country have trees Chet!

That would be fun to shoot Prarie dogs . I've killed a few groundhogs but never a Prarie dog . On my bucket list

No need to shoot prone when after dogs. Some use a bench attached to the receiver hitch, others a portable bench that swivels, and doesn't need even ground.

Latest posts

Back