Mountaineer Bare primer Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dave19113 said:
ronlaughlin said:
One doesn't shim the bolt.

One option is to measure the W209 primer ahead of time; only take the longer primers. Some of the W209 primers are shorter than others. 0.003" of crush isn't much, and will allow leakage after a few shots when soot accumulates. Another thing to consider is chances are, whilst hunting you will never ever shoot your rifle 15 times, so you won't have issues hunting.

For me, the solution would be to take only the longer primers hunting.

From my experience, your biggest issue is the breech plug with the brazed in vent liner. It will wear out quickly. Soon you will need a new plug. Instead of shimming the plug, just purchase a good plug to fit your rifle from bestill.

Ok sounds good... is bestill a member on here or is it a shop?

Bestill is a member or search the internet for 'Bestill Creations'

He is a member on the board and can make you a plug that will last indefinitely. It will be made from the same steel Lehigh used in his original plugs which is better than the current Knight plugs. It will also have a tungsten carbide bushing instead of a vent liner. Using your loads that bushing will last a long long time before you need a new bushing.

GM54-120 said:
He is a member on the board and can make you a plug that will last indefinitely. It will be made from the same steel Lehigh used in his original plugs which is better than the current Knight plugs. It will also have a tungsten carbide bushing instead of a vent liner. Using your loads that bushing will last a long long time before you need a new bushing.

Much thanks... I found him on here and dropped him a PM.

My first 3 bare primer breech plugs came from Lehigh before they made their deal with Knight. Those plugs are made with a much better grade of steel than the ones Knight is selling with their bare primer conversion kits. The first Knight plug I tried was so poorly machined you could not seat it enought to close the bolt and the other one was just as bad . After talking to Knigh I ordered some Western bore paste and picked up a box of CVS Safety Q tips and polished the inside of the primer cup until you could push the primer in place with light finger pressure. That solved the problemm of sticking primers. I use the Winchester regular 209 primer. Vey little blow by.

I made contact with Bestill, after giving him measurements he confirmed I dont have enough crush so out it went to get a new plug fitted :D :D

dave19113 said:
I made contact with Bestill, after giving him measurements he confirmed I dont have enough crush so out it went to get a new plug fitted :D :D
Oh you are going to love his breech plug! :yeah: It is the cats meow. I got one for my Ultra Lite. It is the only way to go. 8)

ShawnT said:
dave19113 said:
Oh you are going to love his breech plug! :yeah: It is the cats meow. I got one for my Ultra Lite. It is the only way to go. 8)

Yea, It should solve all my problems then I can real get down to building some good loads!!

Just got my Mountaineer back from BESTILL with a new breech plug.... all I have to say is wow.... No more blow back and stuck primers. The primers, other than a slight crush look clean

COOL!

I'm getting my Disc Extreme sent off to him today for the same treatment! :D

toldyousomostinterestingman.jpg

Latest posts

Back