Peep sights and better vision

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I solved my blurry sight problem . At least it is pretty darn good compared to normal and I am a happy camper
It was actually an accidental solution I stumbled on while messing with my bow . I am Hoping to draw a archery elk tag and was concerned because my bow sights are blurrier than my muzzy sights if that is possible . Anyway I hang my reading glasses on my shirt and lose about 3 pair a week . I was practicing with the bow and needed to adjust the sight a little on the 50 yard pin . I found out that I lost my reading glasses and couldn't find any spare pairs . I got my wife's pair which are very weak compared to mine. They are 1.25 or 1.5. I put them on to make my adjustment and then checked the sight
I realized that her weak reading glasses cleared up the pin yet didn't blur out the distant target like mine . I shot with them on and it worked great so I took out my Super Safari with the peep sight and front fiber optic and sure enough I could see the front bead clearly without the target being distorted in the distance .
I got to practice like this now I think . Low power reading glasses appear to be a solution for me. I am a happy camper right now .

I will have to give that a try. I have some 1.75 readers that I could try. But next time in the big town I will stop at the dollar store and grab a 1.25 reader. Might be a great help.

Glad that worked for you. 1.5x are the lowest power I can find over the counter in my area but they are too strong as they make the target very blurry for me. I was using 0.5s (special order), but now they are not strong enough. Ordered a pair of 0.75s to try. Going to see the eye doc next week. Hoping he has a better solution, but not holding my breath.

Got my 0.75 glasses today. Seems like they will work pretty well. Weird thing is if I look with my left eye, the front sight is crystal clear. Wish I could shoot left handed!

I am going to have to move up to bifocals and I've been very concerned what to do. For years i have been just taking my distance glasses off when I am at the computer or reading. I've struggled with the bow peep and my rifles. Last year I got a Knight rifle that had a peep sight but still have a bit more fuzziness then I think I should. Do you think if I have a pair of bifocals made with less then I need according to the dr. that would work? It make sense to me because we are looking at a closer item then they are expecting to adjust for. The chance of finding a dr. that understands of excepts that needs of a shooter is unlikely in my area, or price range.

I had this problem when shooting AR competitions. I brought my rifle into the optometrist and we worked to get the best image. Then, I had that prescription ground for my right (dominant) eye. No bifocal. I still had the bifocal on my left lens, so I could still do reading.

The object of AR shooting is to have the front sight sharp and clear, and the target slightly blurred.

I might give these a try as well and see if i can tell any difference? My dad uses a pair when he Grinds his saw chain, he swears by them. I cut my right eye badly in the woods logging many years ago, my eyesight has never been the same, i can shoot a peep sight well, but regular buckhorn style open sights are a no go for me, the first thing i do with a new rifle is remove the iron sights, instal a Lyman 17 Globe Front sight and Mount a Tang mounted peep, either a Williams or a Lyman 57SML

Latest posts

Back