First time out with my Cooper ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyBehindTheDeuce

Reaction score
New to muzzleloaders but not to shooting. I reload and have a custom 30-06 and enjoy precision shooting out at the range - no competitions but I compete against myself and like trying to find the best accuracy I can. Only been chasing small groups for a few years and I am no expert. I say all of that just to give some background and context for my experiences today. I have a Cooper schnabel with a NF NXS 2.5x10.

I recently moved to Nashville and joined a range here. I don't have any friends that shoot ML's, and oneof the instructors there has been shooting ML for years and years so I signed up for some private time with him for my first time out. He shoots matches out at 1000 with center fire rifles and was very knowledgeable. Wanted to make sure I know the right procedures and info to throw a bunch of gunpowder in a barrel and ram a bullet on top of it.

We spent about 4 hours out there, with the first just talking about various aspects of it. We loaded up some Nosler BT 300 grains with 80gr by weight 209 using CCi magnum primers and started to get it sighted in. Was a good chance for me to watch what he is doing and how he is doing it. The first 2 shots were off the paper so we went to steel at 100. Third shot was on the steel but we needed to repaint it to see shots better. Cleaned the gun at this point. Two shots gave us a good idea where we were and he handed it to me to shoot the next on paper. We were about 1/2 right with that shot. Cleaned it again.

We left the scope as is to confirm after cleaning. Next shot was about 4 inches right and 2 inches low...I felt like it was a good shot but we chalked it up to shooter error. I am used to a 2 lb trigger in my 30-06 and this isn't as light so I figured I torqued the gun as I pulled the heavier trigger on the Cooper. Next shot was touching the first low and right. Loaded up a third and it was 1/2 inch above the other two. We were impressed by the group but confused as to the location on the target. We think the wind, which was getting stronger, caused about 2 MOA of the impact shift to the right.

Another ML friend of the instructor was there and we spent some time looking and talking. We noticed that the wood forearm was nudged around the barrel at the very front. We took the stock off and looked at the barrel channel. No signs of anything strange inside but it was definitely putting pressure on the barrel. Don't know if it was like that from the get go or if it moved as we shot the gun - definitely a humid day in Tennessee.

We were out of time but I had gotten what I wanted out of the day. I know what I am doing, have a good head start on a good load but need to clean up the free float. I will continue to refine that load and practice, but next up is to get it to a good local smith to get bedded.

I know that there aren't a ton of reviews on the Cooper, so sharing this info for folks who may be wondering about the gun. It is beautiful wood and seems to be a shooter but too early to say. I am disappointed in the barrel and stock contact but don't mind getting it bedded. I'll call Glen at Cooper tomorrow to get his thoughts. I found this one in stock in Utah and had them ship it to me so I don't have a LGS to take it back to. I shoot lefty so finding an ambi stock that was in stock was not easy, and is why I went with the schnabel model.

Congrats on the rifle! Any pics?

80grs by weight of BH209 and a 300gr bullet is a stout load, how was the recoil with that rifle?
What sabot were you using?
Is that a .458 bullet?
Any blowback around the primer?

Most don't clean between shots or groups with BH209 powder but some do and report better accuracy that way, you'll have to try no swabbing and see what it does.

Looking forward to future range reports :D

shot one at 100 yds. during the NMLRA Nationals. 530 grn. PP bullet with .015 wad over powder and 78 grns. of OE black powder. Have picture but don't know how to post. The mouse stopped working. It was in .45 cal.

The Cooper sure is a nice looking rifle, hopefully it is well once you get it wrung out. Some part of the stock touching the barrel isn't uncommon with many.

I have a Cooper in 17 HMR that has been just great.

Cooper customer service was great. Called and was put through to a gunsmith. Sent him pics while we were on the phone and he said 'it shouldn't look like that - send it in and we will get it fixed up.' They pay shipping both ways. Can't ask for much more.

The other option is to pay a local smith to bed it. I don't mind the cost if it is a better solution, and it is easier than having to deal with shipping. Have a few smiths that are highly recommended and build long range competition guns.

Which route would you take?

Another option would be bed it yourself it's not real hard to do with that being said i would send it back since Cooper is paying for all the shipping.What is the turn around time?I would put that into the equation also.

Dropped it off at a highly recommended smith and he said he will get it taken care off...turnaround time is one, maybe 2 weeks.

Will happily pay him to do it and a trigger adjustment. Once I get it back and get to the range I will post an update.

Latest posts

Back