First time to the range with Knight Ultralight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattledog

Reaction score
Hi Guy,

I figured that I would share my first outing with the Stainless Ultralight. I bought the ultralight used last March and have just finally had a chance to go shooting. The plan was to shoot the Ultralight and Stainless Omega X7 allowing each to cool after about 3 shots. I put on a new scope on the X7.

The Ultralight is a bare primer version with a older Nikon Inline XR and Nikon scope mounts. The rifle took about 10 shots to 0 at 100 yards. All I can say is WOW. The rifle shoots really well, the load was .40 cal SST with blue sabot, 85 grains Blackhorn 209 and W209 primers. The rifle has a super soft recoil with that load. I like shooting this rifle more than the X7 at this point. The only negative things I could say would be, the rifle is a pain to clean and loading the primer could be a challenge to load with glove on. The weight is fantastic compared to my mountaineer with synthetic stock.

A few things I have noted that I really like are,
The barrel is matte in color as compared to the mountaineer.
The the attention to detail is way above my other muzzleloaders. Examples are barrel crown, stock fit, trigger safety, trigger pull ect.

While I love my Omega X7's, they are likely to sit this year out. The Ultralight has a better trigger, better fit and finish and is close in length and weight to the X7's.

I also wanted to share my comparison on my other rifles. I have a Contender G2 in .45 BP, 2 Omega X7, Mountaineer .50 cal, Accura MR and the Ultralight. If I had to pick only one of the rifles it would be the Ultralight at this point. I has an equal trigger to or better the Accura. Lighter and better hunting finish and weight than the Mountaineer. Less felt recoil than the G2. Better personal fit and accuracy than the Omega X7s.

BTW, I checked the crush fit on the primer. I get about 0.002 crush on average. My bolt and plug were clean after shooting.

Good info, and congrats on your rifle!
I still don't own one... but have often said the UL is the ultimate ML'er for me personally. Fits my hunting style and needs very well.

Looking fwd to hearing more about your outings :yeah:

I also got one used and hunted with it last season. They are a sweet rifle. I don't think I could let it go myself. Have not made the move to a .45 cal but if they made one in a fast twist, I'd heat up the old credit card tonight. I agree with you on the fit and finish and the trigger too. If I had a grip it would be the sling swivel studs, but the same studs are on about every rifle. I myself have sort of grown to hate the "Uncle Mike's" style screw ins. But that is a small grip and I plan to change those out on mine this year. :wink:

The .002 crush is probably fine as long as the primers are falling out and clean. I would prefer a bit more to allow a little more room for primer length variation but you don't have room for a shim really. Does yours still have the original Breech plug still in it? If so when it wears out, do yourself a favor and get a Bestill Plug, you will not regret it. I would also have it made to give you .003 to .004 crush on the Win primer and then you can use about what ever primer you get your hands on. But the Win 209 will be all you ever need, I got a Brick just for this rifle.

Congrads on the new to you Ultra Light, enjoy it! Post up some pics and some targets too.

By the way what Stock color is yours? Mine is the Green one and I love it! :D

Cattledog said:
Hi Guy,

I figured that I would share my first outing with the Stainless Ultralight. I bought the ultralight used last March and have just finally had a chance to go shooting. The plan was to shoot the Ultralight and Stainless Omega X7 allowing each to cool after about 3 shots. I put on a new scope on the X7.

The Ultralight is a bare primer version with a older Nikon Inline XR and Nikon scope mounts. The rifle took about 10 shots to 0 at 100 yards. All I can say is WOW. The rifle shoots really well, the load was .40 cal SST with blue sabot, 85 grains Blackhorn 209 and W209 primers. The rifle has a super soft recoil with that load. I like shooting this rifle more than the X7 at this point. The only negative things I could say would be, the rifle is a pain to clean and loading the primer could be a challenge to load with glove on. The weight is fantastic compared to my mountaineer with synthetic stock.

A few things I have noted that I really like are,
The barrel is matte in color as compared to the mountaineer.
The the attention to detail is way above my other muzzleloaders. Examples are barrel crown, stock fit, trigger safety, trigger pull ect.

While I love my Omega X7's, they are likely to sit this year out. The Ultralight has a better trigger, better fit and finish and is close in length and weight to the X7's.

I also wanted to share my comparison on my other rifles. I have a Contender G2 in .45 BP, 2 Omega X7, Mountaineer .50 cal, Accura MR and the Ultralight. If I had to pick only one of the rifles it would be the Ultralight at this point. I has an equal trigger to or better the Accura. Lighter and better hunting finish and weight than the Mountaineer. Less felt recoil than the G2. Better personal fit and accuracy than the Omega X7s.

BTW, I checked the crush fit on the primer. I get about 0.002 crush on average. My bolt and plug were clean after shooting.

I was looking at the Ultra light as well as the Mountaineer. I almost pulled the trigger on the ultra light before I got an awesome deal on a sale priced Mountaineer.

I mainly shoot in tree stands so Im not doing too much walking around but if I came across a good deal on an ultra light I would definitely scoop one up, they are sweet ML's

Back