Chrono Numbers With Mountaineer, Optima, Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave19113

Reaction score
Was able to get out today to do some testing with the Mountaineer using the Win 209 primers as well as tsting out some loads with chrono data.

Here are some numbers if anyone is interested in getting velocity vs powder charge data with the two guns.

Temp was 77 degrees with a mild crosswind

Knight Mountaineer 50 cal

300 gr XTP .430, green crush rib sabot, 100 gr BH 209 volume- 1803 fps 1.5 moa
270 gr Speer deep curl .429 green crush rib sabot 100 gr BH209 volume - 1843 fps .50 CTC ( See picture below)

CVA Optima 50 cal

Missouri 300gr Pinbuster .430 green crush rib 70 gr BH209 volume - 1498 fps. This was deer load last year, not fastest load but dropped 2 deer last year
Nosler 240gr JSP .429 green crush rib sabot 90 gr bh209 by volume - 1772 fps 3/4 moa - Probably my new load for this gun.

Was really happy with the results today, still have alot of work to do on fine tuning loads. Im really liking the deep curls. Never shot a deer with them but Im sure they will perform well

06/28/2017 CVA Wolf 74 degrees

Missouri 405 Gr .459, MMP Orange Sabot, 75 grs BH209 1350 FPS

Nosler 240 gr JSP .429, green crush rib 90 grs BH 209 1721 FPS

Speer DC 270 gr .429, green crush rib sabot, 100 gr BH209 1782 FPS

All of the above loads shoot to the same poi at 75 yards with excellent accuracy

Re: Chrono Numbers With Mountaineer and Optima

BuckDoeHunter said:
Nice shooting. Good info on load combos :yeah:

Much Thanks :D

Im figuring someone could use the data.... I know I always find myself looking for ball park data when building loads.

Thanks for sharing the data!

Good info, thanks! Gotta like groups like that :yeah:

My knights like the .429's w green crush rib also. I shoot the 240 Deep Curl mostly for hunting. I've shot a bunch with it, works perfectly for me. I personally prefer the bullet design on the 240 & 300 over the others. The hollow point is shallower than some of the other versions with the huge deep hollow point. In my bullet testing a few years back the big hollow points didn't fare well, the shallower did outstanding. Granted, I was shooting into a sand trap not a deer. I'm glad to see some places are starting to carry DC's again, finally!

WV Hunter said:
Good info, thanks! Gotta like groups like that :yeah:

My knights like the .429's w green crush rib also. I shoot the 240 Deep Curl mostly for hunting. I've shot a bunch with it, works perfectly for me. I personally prefer the bullet design on the 240 & 300 over the others. The hollow point is shallower than some of the other versions with the huge deep hollow point. In my bullet testing a few years back the big hollow points didn't fare well, the shallower did outstanding. Granted, I was shooting into a sand trap not a deer. I'm glad to see some places are starting to carry DC's again, finally!

Yea, I remember reading about the 270's years ago. About how good they performed in ML's and also how lever gun owners of 444's loved them; being able to drive them at 2000+ fps. I also saw how nobody had them so I just went with the xtp's for years.

I made sure to ordr a few boxes to keep stocked. Cant wait to try em on deer this year!! :D

Was able to get out today and do some testing.... this time with my CVA Wolf. To keep all the info together I just edited the 1st post to add the info.

Im really loving that 405 gr load :D

Latest posts

Back