Gg vrs paper patched conicals

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougs136Schwartz

Reaction score
Im thinking about doing some experimenting . I have some 530 grain pp patched bullets that Rick gave me and some 530 grease grooved bullets that came with my 500 . I also have some 1.5 F swiss and Geox select 2F . Looking for some starting load reccomendations . I also have several different boxes .458 GG conicals that i bought for my BPCR . Can i run a .458 bullet through my sizer to fit a .450 bore ? Much difference in accuracy out to 500 yards between the GG bullet and the PP ?

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Im thinking about doing some experimenting . I have some 530 grain pp patched bullets that Rick gave me and some 530 grease grooved bullets that came with my 500 . I also have some 1.5 F swiss and Geox select 2F . Looking for some starting load reccomendations . I also have several different boxes .458 GG conicals that i bought for my BPCR . Can i run a .458 bullet through my sizer to fit a .450 bore ? Much difference in accuracy out to 500 yards between the GG bullet and the PP ?
In my limited experience the pp always gave me a slight edge accuracy wise . Not sure if that holds true for others . If the Bullet is soft or pure lead you should be able to run it through the sizer without any problems .

Yes you can run them threw you sizer.I run them threw a 454 then a 451 for my Whites.I found if i did it in one step the lead would flow over the base of the bullet abit.The ram piece was a little under sized i guess

What bp45cal said above. For that much size down OK for soft but best in 2 steps. For harder/tougher alloy ok but do in 3 steps. W

I suppose start with 90 grains with 1.5 F and 80 with 2FF ? .45 cal told me down at Friendship but i forgot . I should of wrote it down .

start with 85 2ff , Swiss, I wouldn't use 1.5 swiss . also sometimes you can use thin wad or vegg. wad. 78 grns. of 3fff swiss sometimes will work.

Ok im gonna hopefully shoot a little today if i get time . I think i only have 2ff i may still have some old FFF . I use to hunt with FFF out of a old Siles .50 side hammer. First 7 deer i ever shot was with round balls and 60 grains of FFF . Also shot a pile of deer with a MK 85 with 70 grains FFF . Oh how things have changed and now sometimes we think we need to shoot magnum loads . I have been lowering my charges with all powders and finding i can still achieve the accuracy i want with less recoil .

Back