Anyone shoot duplex sabots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
For whatever reason I decided to get a Leupold 3-9 CDS scope for my MK85 that I don't use anymore. :wink:

My step-son has shot the PR Bullet duplex sabots before and didn't like them, I have some and never shot them. But I bought some Barnes 200gr .45 cal with thinking I could put the .400" bullet in the blue Harvester sabots I have. Then I chucked one in my lathe and trimmed the bottom cup flush and stuffed it in a .50 cal sabot.

It looks pretty good but I wonder if the 2 sabot walls will provide enough grip to spin the bullet, and whether the slits for the 2 sabots should be indexed with one another or offset? Thanks.

I have never duplexed sabots but my experience with regular sabot is the thicker the sabot the worse the accuracy. If that would hold with duplexing I would venture accuracy would not be stellar. However it is easy to test a few to find out.

I have good results with the MMP .50/.40 Sabot with the 195 gr Barnes Expander in my .50 DISC.

Ive done some messing with the PR bullet line . Also with the .357 bullet duplex . I found that even with the duplex or .40 to .50 cal sabots very good accuracy can be achieved but were very load sensitive . I had to push them just fast enough to shed the sabot but not to fast because then because of the thicker sabot the sabot would start to fail . I think twist ? I had both the .40 to .50 and .357 to ..50 shooting well under MOA at 100 yards

In my 50 guns, SML, I found that using a magnum sub base on the dark blue 40X50 sabot helped a lot. For convenience I hot glue the sub base on the sabot. get 1 moa easy at 100 and 1.5 at 200 yd, plenty good for deer. Mostly used 40X200 SST with light knurl. Light recoil and plenty power. My experience, yours may be different. W

Back