Right is right...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been dabbling in breechloaders lately, with decent results too.
However, it's been a while since I made smoke with Herself, my 50 caliber Black Diamond XR. Last time was back in February actually. So I made up a target, weighed up 10 70 grain charges of Swiss 3f, grabbed some crush ribs and 250 grain XTP's and hit the range.
Well. I proceeded to best the breechloaders in both group size, consistency and group overlap. Wasnt even close. My Savage 170B has a B&L 1.5x5 scope and my Marlin , a Leupold 3x9. The Black Diamond wears an old Savage #10 aperture sight. Worst group for the Herself, 1 5/16 ( for 3 at 100) the best was an inch on the button. Lately the breechloaders have been in the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch range.
In 2 days I will have Herself 9 years. Nice stretch. 9 deer and 1620 shot later, with fading blueing and patches of stock bare of factory finish ( I rub a little linseed oil on to keep the gremlins at bay) she looks the part and is quite a fine rifle. She's my best girl and apparently isn't bashful about asserting herself.
Maybe the fellow was right who said " Breechloaders and smokeless are passing fads"

Back