Blackhorn 209 In Stock at Wally World!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idaholewis said:
sabotloader said:
Idaholewis said:
19 dollars a bottle here, its been on close out for a year i bet, same cans with dust on the tops. Doesn't appear they can give that stuff away around here? I thought about buying a can to use just for fouling my sidelocks during hunting season so i trust my cold clean bore shot, But found that Primer fouling works best for me and it is non corrosive

I am not sure if you are talking about or if it is BH or not, but if you are counting on BH being non-corrosive - really be careful with that one. It does still contain Potassium and Sulphur.

Thats the stuff, i knew it was corrosive, but I've heard it's far less so than real BP, i have never used it so have no experience with it? Back when i was having all the hell for trouble with my cold clean bore shot i got to thinking maybe i would get a can of this stuff, and before daylight each morning i would pop a cap on about 10 grains of it, then load my rifle and hunt for the day,

Caps will not ignite BH 209 - it needs a much hotter primer...

i knew i would have to unload and clean every evening after dark. I wasn't looking forward to it, but figured i would do it if it worked and put my cold clean bore shot where it was suppose to go?

You are correct BH and even T7 are much less corrosive than real BP or any of the Pyros, I shoot T7 basically because of cost of BH and the fact during ML season you have to use a percussion cap - which will not ignite BH. But I violate many of the rules and I leave a rifle loaded for months on what I call a partially fouled barrel. But I am using a stainless barrel and have ran a Windex patch through the bore.

But after a BUNCH of digging i found where you guys were talking about popping off caps in a cold clean bore, i tried that and it worked flawlessly! So no BlackHorn 209 for me. There are 3 cans of it sitting on a shelf over in Ponderay with a little red tag under them that says Closeout 19 something a Can. I would almost bet they have been there since the store opened 6 years ago? That stuff just doesn't sell around here, for those that don't know, we cant use 209 primers on Muzzleloader only hunts here in Idaho. Will a Hot Magnum #11 Cap like the RWS Plus, or CCI Magnums not set that stuff off? What about duplexing i think its called? A small couple of grains of Swiss 3f under the nipple, then the BH209 on top? I cant imagine it being any gain over the Swiss 2 and 3F that i am currently shooting? This Swiss BP sets off RIGHT NOW

Duplexing will work but it is a real pain in the bottom as far as I am concerned. T7 will perform right along with BH and since you are shooting caps if you keep real petroleum oils and Teflon out the barrel you really do not need to worry about the infamous "crud ring"

At $19 a bottle ifn I had and excuse to go to Ponderay - I would buy them... Since I am not coaching anymore I really do not make it up that way very often - although a good friend of mine is in Sandpoint all the time. I could have him pick them up if they are still there...

sabotloader said:
Idaholewis said:
sabotloader said:
I am not sure if you are talking about or if it is BH or not, but if you are counting on BH being non-corrosive - really be careful with that one. It does still contain Potassium and Sulphur.

Thats the stuff, i knew it was corrosive, but I've heard it's far less so than real BP, i have never used it so have no experience with it? Back when i was having all the hell for trouble with my cold clean bore shot i got to thinking maybe i would get a can of this stuff, and before daylight each morning i would pop a cap on about 10 grains of it, then load my rifle and hunt for the day,

Caps will not ignite BH 209 - it needs a much hotter primer...

i knew i would have to unload and clean every evening after dark. I wasn't looking forward to it, but figured i would do it if it worked and put my cold clean bore shot where it was suppose to go?

You are correct BH and even T7 are much less corrosive than real BP or any of the Pyros, I shoot T7 basically because of cost of BH and the fact during ML season you have to use a percussion cap - which will not ignite BH. But I violate many of the rules and I leave a rifle loaded for months on what I call a partially fouled barrel. But I am using a stainless barrel and have ran a Windex patch through the bore.

But after a BUNCH of digging i found where you guys were talking about popping off caps in a cold clean bore, i tried that and it worked flawlessly! So no BlackHorn 209 for me. There are 3 cans of it sitting on a shelf over in Ponderay with a little red tag under them that says Closeout 19 something a Can. I would almost bet they have been there since the store opened 6 years ago? That stuff just doesn't sell around here, for those that don't know, we cant use 209 primers on Muzzleloader only hunts here in Idaho. Will a Hot Magnum #11 Cap like the RWS Plus, or CCI Magnums not set that stuff off? What about duplexing i think its called? A small couple of grains of Swiss 3f under the nipple, then the BH209 on top? I cant imagine it being any gain over the Swiss 2 and 3F that i am currently shooting? This Swiss BP sets off RIGHT NOW

Duplexing will work but it is a real pain in the bottom as far as I am concerned. T7 will perform right along with BH and since you are shooting caps if you keep real petroleum oils and Teflon out the barrel you really do not need to worry about the infamous "crud ring"

At $19 a bottle ifn I had and excuse to go to Ponderay - I would buy them... Since I am not coaching anymore I really do not make it up that way very often - although a good friend of mine is in Sandpoint all the time. I could have him pick them up if they are still there...

Sabotloader, i have no doubt that they will stil be there, i even took a picture of it to show a friend in Utah, he couldn't believe the price

Sabotloader, i called over there and they only have 1 of the 3 cans left, i guess at 19 bucks somebody was interested.

Idaholewis said:
Sabotloader, i called over there and they only have 1 of the 3 cans left, i guess at 19 bucks somebody was interested.

Well Dang! I really do not need it anyway but a good buy always interests me.... I bought a case of it several years ago when Cabelas had it on sale in the $20 buck range - Still have most of that case.

Stopped in another Wal*Mart today and they had 10 bottles dated 071717 on the shelf at the same price of $36.86.

So, I would venture to guess it's in all the stores in Michigan.

BH209 doesn't seem to be moving yet that I can see, but its still early. ML season doesn't open till November 4th. When I tell guys at the range what I am using they just look at me funny....
Might get a better price at the end of the hunting seasons tho!!

They have it in Decatur Indiana also . Same lot number as i bought in New Castle Indiana . Im heading to Decatur to buy them out also

Unfortunately I live in very suburban northern Virginia, so my local WallyWorld does not carry any muzzleloading merchandise, so no Blackhorn 209. I'm going to check in some other areas of Virginia. I'd love to pick up some clearance bottles at the end of the season.

Tannhauser said:
Unfortunately I live in very suburban northern Virginia, so my local WallyWorld does not carry any muzzleloading merchandise, so no Blackhorn 209. I'm going to check in some other areas of Virginia. I'd love to pick up some clearance bottles at the end of the season.

I'm in the same boat. Between this and seeing some guys picking up some good game cams for $25 or LESS on clearance I'm very disappointed in my local stores.

Tannhauser said:

Come down to Stafford, near Quantico; they have plenty.

5 bottles on the shelf in kokomo Indiana, $36.86. Mfg. 7-11-17. Maybe some of the "wholesale shooters suppliers" will run a sale on some, now that there is plenty on the market.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

dave19113 said:
Tannhauser said:

Thanks! I've received several such tips, so I feel assured once I'm outside of the urban influences on Northern Virginia I shall have little problem finding some Blackhorn209. :)

herschel conyers said:
5 bottles on the shelf in kokomo Indiana, $36.86. Mfg. 7-11-17. Maybe some of the "wholesale shooters suppliers" will run a sale on some, now that there is plenty on the market.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Anything to put a little downward price pressure on the BH209 market would be appreciated by this shooter.

Tannhauser said:
dave19113 said:
Tannhauser said:

Thanks! I've received several such tips, so I feel assured once I'm outside of the urban influences on Northern Virginia I shall have little problem finding some Blackhorn209. :)

BUT, in Northern VA we now have a Cabela's, which does have BH209. I think it was around $36.

Well so much for holding out till the after seasons sale. I checked both of my WalMarts and they were completely sold out of BH209. I actually bought one in September when it appeared to be going, so saved a little compared to the regular Co Op Sporting Good Store price.
Season starts Nov. 4th!! :yeah:

I found it at 3 Wal-Mart's around me but my Cabelas doesn't carry it. $36 at Wal-Mart and each store had about 9 bottles. I actually went there for 777 loose or pellets and it seems they replaced the 777 with BH209 so i got to thinking why drive 30min one way to buy 777 loose when i need a loose powder breechplug anyways to shoot loose so just buy BH seeing how 3 walmarts in 20min carry it.

Latest posts

Back