Terminal Performance of Parker Jacketed Hyda-Con?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabinajiles

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with these? I picked up a bunch of 275 gn Traditions T-Shocks from Natchez on a closeout for dirt cheap. It's my understanding they are just rebranded Parker Jacketed Hyda- cons. I shot some today from my Accura MR and below is my first 100 yd target of 5 shots with the supplied sabot, 100 gn BH209 and Winchester 209 primer. Great accuracy. My question is if the terminal properties are all that Parker claims? Do they hold together on impact?

Attachments

• 20170816_133119-600x800.jpg
    20170816_133119-600x800.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 220
I have heard they are awsome . I know of a Knight Dealer (Mark Miller ) that says the Hydrocons are devastating on deer . I can not say for myself but i very much trust Marks opinion .

BuckDoeHunter said:
Nice shooting :yeah:

Has that bullet gone thru ronlaughlin's bullet capture test? Maybe send him a few to try.
I couldn't find it. The jacketed Hyda-con is not a new bullet and has been around for a long time, 10 years or more. I think they probably kind of fell out of favor after the Ballistic Extremes were introduced. I picked these up for a song with the closeout sale price just because I like to play around with load development of different bullets. As well as they shot, I was considering them for hunting this year but wondered about real world terminal performance. A web search doesn't turn up much on them. Natchez must have a bunch of new, old stock of the Traditions branded T-Shocks because they have the 180, 200, 250, 275 and 300 gn bullets in 20 packs, with sabots for $13.

I bought a bunch of the 275gr Traditions that were rebranded Ballistic Extremes. I got them directly from Traditions years ago for about $9/15 pack. Its a good bullet but somewhat fragile if you hit bone.

The jacketed Hydracons are even more fragile. They have a small pocket full of a food grade grease under the tip. Stay off the shoulder and the 100gr BH209 load should be ok in the boiler room. Avoid heavy quartering also.

GM54-120 said:
I bought a bunch of the 275gr Traditions that were rebranded Ballistic Extremes. I got them directly from Traditions years ago for about $9/15 pack. Its a good bullet but somewhat fragile if you hit bone.

The jacketed Hydracons are even more fragile. They have a small pocket full of a food grade grease under the tip. Stay off the shoulder and the 100gr BH209 load should be ok in the boiler room. Avoid heavy quartering also.
Thanks. I wondered about how durable they were on impact. I have proven alternatives that I know will perform well for hunting so I'll probably just use these up shooting paper.

Back