Just picked up my Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pop Pop

Reaction score
Just picked up my new Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader.
I picked up a box of "Triple Seven", never used this before. Always used black powder.
Sabots came with the gun. They are Remington, looks like barnes makes them.
Need to know if 100 grs or 150 grs are needed for deer hunting.
I site my guns in at 100 yrds.
Any thoughts or tips would be great.
The guys at Cabelas said 200 grs will hurt you after sighting in due to the recoil.
THANKS

How far are you planning to shoot? Unless you need to reach way out, 100 grains is plenty. I'd start with 100.

Re: RE: Just picked up my Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader

TROP said:
Just picked up my new Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader.
I picked up a box of "Triple Seven", never used this before. Always used black powder.
Sabots came with the gun. They are Remington, looks like barnes makes them.
Need to know if 100 grs or 150 grs are needed for deer hunting.
I site my guns in at 100 yrds.
Any thoughts or tips would be great.
The guys at Cabelas said 200 grs will hurt you after sighting in due to the recoil.
THANKS
Be sure to use a scope with at least 4 inches of eye relief. Have fun with your new rifle.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

QuinnTheEskimo said:
If you're going to limit your shots to 100 yards or so, 100 grains is enough. I sight in at 100 yards and we use 80 grains of BH209.

Is that 80 grains by volume or weight?

Actually each gun is an individual, the best answer to a hunting load is to start at 90 gr. V. and try every 10 grains to 120, the compare the targets, look for the best group and use that load. I use 3 shot groups and allow at least 5 minutes cooling between shots as the gun will be cold when a hunting shot turns up.

The RUML is made for pellets but loose Triple7 should be ok too. Do NOT use BH209 until Rem approves it and when they do keep a very close eye on the primer cases. You wont get more than a few shots from those cases using BH209 before they start to leak and destroy your breach plug. Triple7 is a little easier on the primer cases even with heavy loads but its really important you check them every time they are used.

WhaT will BH209 DO TO THE CASES. Also what damage can occur to the breech plug. I am using Triple 7

TROP said:
WhaT will BH209 DO TO THE CASES. Also what damage can occur to the breech plug. I am using Triple 7

Its not so much that BH does anything to the cases. The cases start to form a memory from being compressed to the nipple by the bolt. Once a memory starts in the case, it allows gas to escape between the case and nipple. This will happen with ANY propellant used, but especially BH. As stated above, check each case after firing it and they should show no signs of gas escaping. In general and normally, the gas will leak on opposite sides INSIDE of the case and is very identifiable. If that starts with a case, throw out the case and DO NOT reprime it. One case might be reprimed 4 times, where another can't be reprimed at all. Thickness in the case heads and memory determine it. Case heads can vary up to .005" in head thickness.
What actually happens, is the leaking gas cuts the breech plug and will cause excessive blow back, rendering it useless and it MUST be replaced. This happens with the breech plugs more often when people use BH209 from the rifle. Its said that the nitrocellulose properties in BH is likely the largest contributing factor. It is also why Remington does not list BH209 as an approved substitute in the rifle's manual.
It has to be noted that the RU breech plug is better designed for BP removal. However..... its not always fact. If you break the nipple off while trying to remove the BP, there's no other alternative than to have the barrel removed and the BP drilled out.

Latest posts

Back