Questions about older Knight plunger guns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannhauser

Reaction score
Tell me about the Knight plunger guns - MK85, LK93, Wolverine, Bighorn, etc.

I'm considering adding one to my collection that uses the older #11 ignition. Partly because I want a #11 inline to shoot up some of my #11 caps and 777, and also because I just want one.

I don't know the differences in the various models, so I'd appreciate some advice.

MK-85 from what I know are the original have a square receiver and are the best. A lot of variants in the beginning as far as barrel makers, twist rates number of grooves ect.

LK-93 came later cheaper model round receiver same principle. Strictly green mountain barrels 1:28 twist for 50 cal. Plastic stocks, still a good shooters.

Bighorn basically the same as the LK-93 longer barrels though.

All three are slam fire plunger guns and enjoy the same basic design.

Hornet22savage said:
MK-85 from what I know are the original have a square receiver and are the best. A lot of variants in the beginning as far as barrel makers, twist rates number of grooves ect.

LK-93 came later cheaper model round receiver same principle. Strictly green mountain barrels 1:28 twist for 50 cal. Plastic stocks, still a good shooters.

Bighorn basically the same as the LK-93 longer barrels though.

All three are slam fire plunger guns and enjoy the same basic design.

Thanks for response! Is the "Wolverine" essentially a shorter LK-93?

The LK -93 was released in 1993, carried the name of Wolverine. It has a 22" barrel. Was offered in both 50 and 54 cal, both blued and stainless.in 2000, they changed the wolverine to the skeleton stock, and also offered the Wolverine II with the regular stock.in 2002 they changed the name to a Wolverine 209, of course it had the fps ignition.in 2003 the Wolverine 209 was offered in a 26" barrel and 45 cal.. 2006 and on the Wolverine was only offered as a youth package with the 22" barrel.
Hope this helps.

pjsoden said:
The LK -93 was released in 1993, carried the name of Wolverine. It has a 22" barrel. Was offered in both 50 and 54 cal, both blued and stainless.in 2000, they changed the wolverine to the skeleton stock, and also offered the Wolverine II with the regular stock.in 2002 they changed the name to a Wolverine 209, of course it had the fps ignition.in 2003 the Wolverine 209 was offered in a 26" barrel and 45 cal.. 2006 and on the Wolverine was only offered as a youth package with the 22" barrel.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'm seeing the rifle designations are more to denote a family of guns than a specific particular model.

What might be a reasonable price range for these older guns in good condition? I've seen a couple for sale local to me very cheap ($100 range), but in the pictures posted there was clearly significant amounts of corrosion present in bore and breach and I have zero interest in buying a restoration piece.

I have a couple of these old girls. Mine is a little older than my son's but we each have one and they look exactly the same. The both have Williams FP peep sights with shims under them for long range.
The front sight is a Lyman 17 AHB with Lee Shavers BPCR inserts. Because I raised the rear sight a little to compensate for the taller front sight I added a padded cheek rest on Both. I don't have mine fully sighted in yet but my son's rifle is sighted in out to 250 yards. he is very good with it.

7MAWVW8.jpg

aLB11cG.jpg

This is the target he was shooting at at 250 yards that day. The two dark spots left and right of center are his two hits.

ENxd2kv.jpg

Tannhauser said:
What might be a reasonable price range for these older guns in good condition? I've seen a couple for sale local to me very cheap ($100 range), but in the pictures posted there was clearly significant amounts of corrosion present in bore and breach and I have zero interest in buying a restoration piece.

I got both of mine in the 250 range each if I remember right. They are stainless and that to me makes a big difference. You are correct you don't want a fixer upper.

I would venture to say $80-$100 in good condition. Stay away from the rusty ones.

I have owned lk-93s, bighorns, and mk-85's. Spend a little more and find an mk-85 in good shape. They are a great rifle IMO.

I overpaid BAD for my mk-85 and its worth every penny wouldnt sell her for tripple what i paid!

The middle two are MK85's

Attachments

• IMG_2760.JPG
    IMG_2760.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 822
I have a WTB up in the classifieds. Maybe a member here has a MK-85 they want to mive along.

Back