Hornady .458 FP Interlock.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave19113

Reaction score
I was doing some testing on some of my 45-70 bullets that I have on hand through my Mountaineer today. I was getting some good groups with them at right around 1.25 moa. I didnt chrono them but I was guestimating that they would be right around 1600 fps behind 90 grs of BH 209 with an Orange mmp sabot.

Has anyone done any expansion testing with them or shot on game? I tried to find velocity ratings for the bullets but came up dry. Thought they would make a good hog load if they would open up

Ron, all jokes aside, you should be paid for all the bullet tests you have done. The tests are an asset to this forum. Thank you so very much.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

ronlaughlin said:
Yes, i believe we looked at the bullet here.

Much thanks on that....Wow :shock: :shock: , I didnt think the lead and copper would separate like that but you dont know unless you try. Thanks for the info. I agree, it would be better for a elk sized animal.

For the kind of loads you are shooting try any of the 458 300gr HPs from Rem, Hornady or Sierra. They are all very similar but i do prefer the Sierra 300gr FNHP. Those bullets should perform very well at 1800fps or less. Speer offers a 458 300gr too but its much tougher and bonded. Its really over kill unless you are shooting max loads or hunting larger game.

GM54-120 said:
For the kind of loads you are shooting try any of the 458 300gr HPs from Rem, Hornady or Sierra. They are all very similar but i do prefer the Sierra 300gr FNHP. Those bullets should perform very well at 1800fps or less. Speer offers a 458 300gr too but its much tougher and bonded. Its really over kill unless you are shooting max loads or hunting larger game.

Double dittos for GM54-120. I have used the Hornady .458 at 300 grains when I first started with SML and found they were way too fragile at SML speed. If I used pipsqueak loads at 1700 fps or less they did quite good. I went to the toughest .458 at 300 grains that's not a Barnes or copper and found the Speer .458 at 300 grains was great. Have killed a whole bunch of deer with it and the terminal performance has been flawless. Mostly pushing it at 2400 fps. It is my choice when I'm using my Savage bear hunting and I would not hesitate to hunt big herbivores with it like elk and moose. My opinion others will differ.

PS: If I ever get a western hunt I have 3 50 count boxes of Barnes Original .458 at 300 grains that will do whatever I need.

W

Latest posts

Back