Testing 35gW /50gV with different weight bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
While Ron and I have been testing HP size at 1000pfs (35/50g BH209), I was curious as to the estimated Velocity of some of the other bullet weights he tested on his LARGE list of bullets he's tested over the years.
So, I cut off the nose of my 50/475 and headed to the range with my LabRadar.

Here is the data:
I had to use 3 wads under my bullet to get the BH to ignite properly - the tightness of a bullet/wad might account for varying velocity from one shooter to another (my bullet solid is 492g, just over 1000 fps were Ron's chrono showed the 475g HP slightly below 1000)

Too bad Ed's 350gr HP bullet hasn't been tested with this reduced charge as it appears it would be around 1100fps. hint hint..

Attachments

• BH209 35 50 test all weights.JPG
    BH209 35 50 test all weights.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 322
  • BH209 35 50 all graph.JPG
    BH209 35 50 all graph.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 322
Ed' bullets are 45 caliber if i correctly recall. Because they are 45 caliber, they shouldn't fit the same curve on the graph as the 50 caliber bullets? Ed' bullets' plot, should be on another line above the green 50 caliber line?

Email sent.

OK, sent address once again, this time via personal message.

Been thinking about the graph whilst cooking breakfast. Am thinking Ed' bullet may fit the green line if i shoot them in a sabot out of a 50 caliber rifle.

edmehlig said:
ronlaughlin said:
if i shoot them in a sabot out of a 50 caliber rifle.
:shock: What??? :D

Yep, I think in a 45 it will create slightly more pressure, because of the smaller surface area - therefore slightly elevating the numbers. But, a tight fitting sabot may elevate the numbers anyway compared to the bore diameter conical.

OK, you shamed me into prepping the 45 rifle to shoot bullets. Found some of the 350g hollow point lying around here. Went up, and shot three bullets through the clock placed at 25 yard. Powder charge was 35 (weighed) grain Blackhorn. Average speed was 1155 fps.

Used them all adjusting the scope, and measuring speed. The new one you sent will be used to shoot into the trap, and hopefully we will be able to inspect the mushroom.

ronlaughlin said:
OK, you shamed me into prepping the 45 rifle to shoot bullets. Found some of the 350g hollow point lying around here. Went up, and shot three bullets through the clock placed at 25 yard. Powder charge was 35 (weighed) grain Blackhorn. Average speed was 1155 fps.

Not far from the graph.. curious if there might be a noticeable MV difference within a sabot.

ronlaughlin said:

1155 is nearly the same speed as 45grW/64grV with my 50/475 with 0.15"HP (1168fps). I think Ed's HP is this 0.15" diameter - bet $ it will open similar to the 50/475 at this speed.
I believe with this 350gr bullet - this velocity range (1150-1175) is also very close to 1000ft-lbs energy.

Latest posts

Back