In the Rock Pit...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have been unable to do much shooting at all for the past couple of months, due to work and heat! The work has mostly ended since the students have returned to the University - the HEAT - well it is still here so I made a predawn run to the rock pit to get some shooting in. The pit in this type of weather is a pretty safe place to shoot - especially shooting a ML.

A month or so ago Lehigh Dave made a couple of new bullets - all copper/no lead. He designed and made a 452x240CF-HP and a 451x230CF-HP, these bullets compliment the 452x265CF-HP that has been available for some time now.

The 451 came about because one of the forum members wanted a CF bullet that he could shoot in his NULA, which has a tight bore. If I remember correctly that rifle also has a 1-32 twist??? Anyway when I was told about the bullet I suggested to Lehigh Dave that maybe he could make it so that it could also be shot from a 1-48 twist. From those two requests the .451x230 was born... And it appears really to be a very good bullet!

It will shoot very well from a 1-48 twist TC Renegade. The target was set at 75 yards

50_cal_Renegade.jpg

17-05-21_230.jpg

Just so you know shot #4 was my fault - actually it was the set-triggers fault - I forgot how light the trigger is when you set the trigger....

I have had a chance to get out with that bullet for further testing in a 1-28 twist Knight Ultra Lite

8-15-17_230_Composite.jpg

Today.. or this morning I took a Knight Mountaineer and headed to the pit.... I actually had to goals in mind - 1 - I wanted just to shoot some birds @100' on the rock wall - it has been such a long time!!! and 2. I wanted some velocities with the 230 both with 120 grains of T7 and BH for a comparison...

Mountaineer.jpg

Still this morning I knew I had to hustle to beat the heat... when I got to the pit the first thing I did was to set some birds...

Rock_Pit_Shoot.jpg

This was the tailgate work bench

Work_Bench.jpg

Just a few birds but they were no match for the new bullet... 6 shots - 6 birds...

Next I set up the chrono and paper target @ 50... the plan was to shoot 3 rounds with 120 grains (volume) of T7 and 120 grains BH (volume). Well after the shooting I computed the numbers... T7 velocity avg. 2150fps - BH-209 velocity avg. 2210fps.

From that and just for the heck of it I ran the numbers through the ballistics program and came up with these print outs. And just for the heck of it I extended them out to 300 yards... The sheets are computed with +/- 3" Point Blank Range...

Here is the T7 chart

Lehigh_451x230_-_T7.jpg

And the BH sheet

Lehigh_451x230_BH.jpg

Not a whole lot of difference all the way through the ranges...

I personally have a whole lot of confidence in this new bullet for deer hunting...

If you might be interested in this bullet - Midway has the Lehigh line and they are less expensive from Midway than Lehigh Defense

Back