New rifle build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pupsdad

Reaction score
I have a 1-20 45 barrel that just arrived today. I've found a donor rifle to put it on, a Traditions Lightning. I built my 32 on a Thunderbolt, I like how it cocks on the bolt opening, but I had a Lightning years back and I prefer it. I'll post some photos when I have all the pieces in my hands. I hope to make this my go to deer gun, but it's going to be a tall order to out do the Knights I picked up this year.

I got it all disassembled now I just need to thread the barrel and get it indexed.

Attachments

• IMAG0469-1024x760.jpg
    IMAG0469-1024x760.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 633
Every indication I have is that yes it is a Green Mountain Knight 1 in 20 barrel. It looks to be a reject in that the holes for the sights and thimble are drilled in the wrong locations. So I guess it got rejected by them but someone I don't know who grabbed it but it ended up in my clutches. I'm going to solder the holes up, index the sight side down and dura-coat like the 32 I did. It's not stainless if anyone's curious.

Just a side note. I had a lightning years back. I really liked it killed several deer with it. Once I received this one the other day I remembered why I got rid of it even though I liked it. It was a 50 cal 1 in 32 twist like this one but that rifle was finicky and I believe it's that twist that made it so finicky on what it would shoot.

Cool. I had a feeling it was. Should make a real nice rifle.

Action is on barrel need to index one half turn

Attachments

• IMAG0470-1024x760.jpg
    IMAG0470-1024x760.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 546
What lathe is that? Nothing like good tools. Wood or composite stock? Float barrel and bed action or what??? Projected loads and what kind glass plan ya got? Eyecandy is always an appreciated post. Neat build. Keep us updated. W

Clausing 13"?
Looks like you are well on your way.
That appears to be a Knight 45 1:20 I saw on ebay a while back, that was never machined? I thought price was reasonable for such a project - no reason it shouldn't shoot.

My lathe is an Enco 12X36 not a great machine but it serves me well. The donor rifle has a wood stock. I will pillar bed the action and make sure the barrel has no pressure on it before I shoot it. I have a 320 gr hollow point mold and this will be the bullet I hope to shoot, pure lead so it expands, I'll start around 80 gr pyrodex or 777. The plan is to make a breech plug that uses cut off 223 cases for ignition. I'll have to modify the bolt to hold the case rim and modify the firing pin for the small rifle primer. I have a 4x Simmons sitting on a shelf that I'll start with and if it turns into a shooter upgrade from there.
That's the plan.

Got the breech plug mostly done vent liner installed. Need to modify bolt before I can finish it to get it head spaced with cut off cases. I plan to size vent liner after its ready to shoot starting small testing ignition as I shoot.

Attachments

• IMAG0475-608x819.jpg
    IMAG0475-608x819.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 471
  • IMAG0476-819x608.jpg
    IMAG0476-819x608.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 471
Is the Breech plug opening large enough to let the jag into it? Just curious.

Looks good. What's your intent with the deep counterbored vent liner?
Reason I ask, with the CB diameter and the minor thread diameter it doesn't look like a lot of material (wall thickness). Also, make sure you have ample breech plug threads past the CB that are threaded inside the barrel - hate to see it shear off at the CB with no threads holding it. The bolt would not look good thru your cheek.
I hope this makes since..

The breech plug is a copy of the traditions breech plug with more counter bore and more threads. The jag will not enter the counter bore. I was thinking on this for some time. .7 counter bore 1.2 threads that leaves .5 threads uninfluenced by the counter bore. My research tells me .5 threads is the standard amount needed. If I'm off on this please inform me.

pupsdad said:
The breech plug is a copy of the traditions breech plug with more counter bore and more threads. The jag will not enter the counter bore. I was thinking on this for some time. .7 counter bore 1.2 threads that leaves .5 threads uninfluenced by the counter bore. My research tells me .5 threads is the standard amount needed. If I'm off on this please inform me.
OK, good to hear you didn't modify what Traditions did. I was taught thread engagement length equal to the OD - minimum, especially for heavy loads.

Thanks for your concern. I'm sure if I had not found the data I did I would have just copied some other breech plug or copied the traditions more exactly.

I have been working on this build with little progress. I am not sure on how to make my extractor, so I'm going to just start building prototypes. I have no idea how many extractors I have looked at thinking I might buy an existing one and just install it. I have the breech plug done I just need to make sure I maintain bolt length if this first one doesn't work.

Attachments

• IMAG0524-512x380.jpg
    IMAG0524-512x380.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 279
Back