Thompson omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerodur

Reaction score
I have a Thompson Omega 50 calibur that was purchased in 2002 does this have a1in 28 twist

I don't know mysel but you can figure it out by pushing a brush or patch down the barrel and watching how far the rod rotates.

Yes

Great rifles! They like pretty much any load.

I have only heard but never seen the 45 Omega with a 1-20" twist. The 2 that I owned were both the 1-28" variety. I know TC made the early Black Diamond 45 in 1-20" but then changed to 1-28" after customer complaints. Out of all the TC Muzzleloaders I have used the Omega remains my favorite.

Saxtonyoung said:
I have only heard but never seen the 45 Omega with a 1-20" twist. The 2 that I owned were both the 1-28" variety. I know TC made the early Black Diamond 45 in 1-20" but then changed to 1-28" after customer complaints. Out of all the TC Muzzleloaders I have used the Omega remains my favorite.

This I don't understand, The 1/20 is a much better twist for shooting bullets. I have 2 of the 700ML with hunter kits at 1/28 and 2 other rifles at 1/20. The 1/28 is OK with bullets up to 225 grains but they cannot stabilize the heavier bullets. The 1/20 in 45 cal handles bullets up to 275. My opinion, others will vary. W

I myself would prefer the faster twist ,all though I did have a lot of success shooting 420 grain bore sized bullets out of the 1-28" twist.

wolfer said:
Saxtonyoung said:

This I don't understand, The 1/20 is a much better twist for shooting bullets. I have 2 of the 700ML with hunter kits at 1/28 and 2 other rifles at 1/20. The 1/28 is OK with bullets up to 225 grains but they cannot stabilize the heavier bullets. The 1/20 in 45 cal handles bullets up to 275. My opinion, others will vary. W

I can't remember who the writer was, but there's an article out there that was wrtten back when .45 inlines were catching on that blasted the wide variety of twist rates. The writers opinion was that if there was such a wide variation, they couldn't possibly all be okay. If I remember correctly he favored the 1:28. I'll see if I can find it.

Its because the fast twist rifles back then didn't shoot sabots well, due to the the composition of sabots at that time - so it was thought that fast twist was no good. Some manufacturers actually replaced fast twist barrels with slower, under warranty. Since then, new sabot formulations (that shoot great) has proven that the fast twist rifles are actually great shooters, it wasn't the twist that was the problem. 1:28 became the standard though, and most all rifles in recent times have that twist. From a sabot shooting perspective, either is great. For heavy long bullets... especially in the .45 cal, the fast twist dominates. It seems most competition shooters use .45 fast twist these days, with big lead.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
Here it is. https://www.prbullet.com/s45.htm
Articles like that are probably why the 1:20 fell out of favor with manufacturers.

Cecil can spin some great stories. I know for a fact some of his bullets with his MMP sabots shoot just fine in a 1-20. The REAL reason 1-20 fell from grace was the recommended load nearly all companies suggested.

They all got on the 7mm-08 MV performance level band wagon. 155gr XTP bullet+3Pellets equals around 2500fps. Well it may hit 2500fps but nearly all of them shot poorly with that load. That load will even shoot poorly with today's sabots.

I remember those type of loads being toted in gun magazines, but I never tried them. I recently picked up some of those sabot/bullet combinations you mentioned at almost give away prices and will try them ,but start out with 70-80 grains of powder.

Kinda wondered about the sabot issue. Remington has been loading sabotted 22' s in 30 calibers with muzzle velocities from 32-4000 fps in much faster twists with no serious issues. Why it should be an issue with a slower twist at less velocity is a mystery.

Back