Try Again - Elk Hunt with Photo

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been off the board for a while as I prepared for a Colorado MZ Hunt. The results:

Knight Disc Extreme
300 Thor BTip
100 grains of BH 209
25 yards
Passthrough. One lung and some misc vitals. Not a drop of blood to trail but we found him piled up about 100 yards away.

We called him in and I was able to execute the 25 yards shot. I will admit, I failed to release the safety on my first attempt. I can't figure out why I was nervous?

IMG_1778.jpg

I posted this photo with Postimage. I could not figure out how to resize it larger. You get the idea. It was a nice Bull for two rookies walking through the mountains. I will say, it's a game best payed as a young man, for which I no longer qualify.

Big elk and I'm sure a great time.
Local boy who I hunt with and a great friend as I helped raise him on way back from CO. He got a 4X4 and shot with his Savage ML2 shooting 300 Thor and BH209. He said it was a 200 +- yard shot. He is a good shot and elk are kinda big kill zone.

Beautiful Bull Larry, Congrads! :applause: :yeah:

If you click on the photo it will come up in another window that is much larger. Nice Bull!

wolfer said:
Big elk and I'm sure a great time.
Local boy who I hunt with and a great friend as I helped raise him on way back from CO. He got a 4X4 and shot with his Savage ML2 shooting 300 Thor and BH209. He said it was a 200 +- yard shot. He is a good shot and elk are kinda big kill zone.

200 Yard shot is impressive with open sights. Congrats to the young man.

I was practicing at 100 and said that would be my max.

Where we hunted, you would not get a shot over 40 yards. The MZ is an advantage over the bow as I was able to blitz it through some light brush.

Larry, I made a modification in your first post if that is OK...

When you post from Post Image choose the DIRECT link and paste it into the thread.

On this site choose the 'IMG' box - then past your link between the two 'IMG' keys... or you can just type the keys in before the and after the picture link which is what I normally do.

If you want me to reduce the pic let me know...

I also tried to fix your original post but photobucket was not cooperating..

And now I did go back and apply the fix to your first post

O and CRAP! that is a tremendous harvest!

Good work! That's a nice animal right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a great bull LarryBud! What unit did you end up drawing and hunting?

Great elk! I was wondering also what unit? Were you in the coveted NW corner of CO? Private or public?

How was the packing job, how far from vehicles? What type of mount do you plan?

I may be out there again in Oct of 2018, just starting to talk about it. Our area is North of Gunnison. I do like the thick evergreen cover in the background.

WOW WHAT A MONSTER.GOOD EATING THERE.HOW FAR DID HE GO AFTER SHOT? HAVE HESITATED HUNTING WITH MUZZLE LOADER DON'T AND CAN'T CHASE ANY ANIMAL TO FAR,68 AND WORKED HARD ALL MY LIFE NOW I SEE THE RESULTS BUT STILL KICKING.

Thanks for comment Folks. I'll try to answer a few questions.

We ( my Son and I ) were hunting NFL by Walden. Public land. We were able to get in a discussion with him at first light. We bugled, he bugled. we closed the distance bugled again, he bugled again. We were heading up the hill/mountain cow calling to to cover our noise. I was out of breath and we stopped. My Son heard a twig snap and we crouched down. He gave me the antlers sign when he sees it through the trees. I look left and he steps into light brush about 20-25 yards away.

I put the open sights on the money and forget to release the safety. I repeat with the safety off, fire and he's takes off like a racehorse.

We wait 30-40 minutes. Not a drop of blood. I start to track him by footprints alone but they quickly get lost. As we widen the search I'm starting to question the shot. Finally, there he is, about 120 yards away, stone dead and fortunately, in a small clearing of the very thick timber. He's huge. My first elk and I had no idea how big these things are. The hoofs are like those of a steer. We sat there a while just gathering what had happened. The season is about an hour old. After pictures, the work begins.

The autopsy reveals one lung and some misc vitals on the Thor Pass Through. It's really not that big of a hole on the huge chest cavity. My shot could not have been better but hey, 20 yards!

It took all day to break him down as I worked hard to beat the sun and heat. We had to carry the quarters about 300 yards to the truck but it was down a very steep grade with many trees and obstacles. It was about all I had to get it done. I really don't know how guys pack them out of the back country.

No doubt that luck played into the hunt ( better to be lucky than good, I always say ) but, we had another 5x5 at 20 yards and my Boy chose not to shoot waiting for a better shot shot at the vitals. ( mistake ) We had several other encounters where we were in the hunt but couldn't close the deal.

It's fun but is physically taxing. At least the way we chose to hunt.

I will be back. Anyone renting mules?

Latest posts

Back