Silencerco Maxim 50 UPDATE ON PAGE 2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Silencerco Maxim 50

I just can not imagine carrying this around hunting...

Look at the height of the sight set up! If you put a scope can you imagine?

Supressor.jpg

my question is why would you even want a silencer on a muzzy anyway, 99 percent of the time you only need 1 shot and usually your close enough to what your shooting they will hear the report even with it and spook.. seems like the next greatest gimmick to sell stuff to me..JMHO

sabotloader said:
I just can not imagine carrying this around hunting...

Look at the height of the sight set up! If you put a scope can you imagine?

Supressor.jpg

It's really not that heavy and the silencer disappears in the scope because of its distance and the magnification.

d6boYT5.jpg

OK - and thanks for the picture of the rifle with a scope... that does look normal. What about on 3X to me it seems like you would get some obstruction in the low powers.

sabotloader said:
OK - and thanks for the picture of the rifle with a scope... that does look normal. What about on 3X to me it seems like you would get some obstruction in the low powers.

This is a 1.5-6 optic and you can see silencer in the very bottom of he scope below 4 power. You can see more the lower the power but even at 1.5x it does not even come close to obstructing the aiming point.

How much h sound reduction does that provide??

sounds like a company that is selling to the muzzleloader community, but knows nothing about muzzleloaders

shguns, silencerco advertises it to be 139Db at the muzzle, 140Db and below is considered hearing safe. It is comfortable to shoot with no ear protection, it also reduces smoke considerably.

sovapatriot said:
shguns, silencerco advertises it to be 139Db at the muzzle, 140Db and below is considered hearing safe. It is comfortable to shoot with no ear protection, it also reduces smoke considerably.
Reduces smoke ! Blasphemous. Smoke poles should smoke:) send it back .
Just kidding

The graduations on those Blackhorn tubes have been found to be inconsistent. They would be fine to carry your charges in but don't expect much when using them as a measure.

ShawnT said:
The graduations on those Blackhorn tubes have been found to be inconsistent. They would be fine to carry your charges in but don't expect much when using them as a measure.

I ended up not getting to the range today, decided to go when I have more time to work through and eliminate all these variables. My brother will be home tomorrow so I'm going to weigh them all and make sure they are correct.

Just wanted to follow up with all you guys that helped me out. I took the hawk 1.5-6 off and put it on my lever action 45-70, it was all over and wouldn't dial in, took it off and returned it to the sporting goods store where I purchased it for a refund. Ordered a primary arms 1-6 optic and mounted it. I got a chance to get back to the range today and this time I was more prepared. I had blackhorn 209 and IMR white hots as well as two different projectiles. The Hornady fpb 325 grain and the F federal bor lok mz 270 grain copper solid, a new digital scale and all the cleaning supplies I could think of. I also have had an opportunity to read some reviews and comments from guys that have this gun and more experience with muzzleloaders as well as watch some YouTube videos on it.

One thing I picked up on was a YouTuber saying that he felt one thing silencerco should amend in their loading procedure was that the loading tube should be inserted with the bore parallel to the ground instead of bore up to prevent excess powder from being knocked down on to the breach plug face so I adopted that technique and I believe it helped.

This morning I tried the FPBs with BH209 and the WHs and the Federal BLMZ with both powders as well. I got the best results with the Federal BOR LOK MZ, 2 IMR white hots and a Winchester 209 primer. I'm sure it may be possible to mess with the powder charge on the BH and work up a perfect load but I didn't have the time or patience to do that after testing all the other combos I tried. I also ran a bore brush with bore cleaner and a dry patch down the barrel between every shot.

This was my final group shot from 50 yards (it was my last two powder charges). Just under an inch center to center.
2R3F3j2.jpg

My Maxim 50 outfitted with its new glass
DuJCHYI.jpg

I feel confident up to 65 yards with this gun and will limit my shots to that distance for this season since it's approaching fast and I don't have the time for another range day. Next year I'll be ready for 100 yard shots.

Thanks for all the help you guys provided!

Latest posts

Back