Silencerco Maxim 50 UPDATE ON PAGE 2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sovapatriot

Reaction score
Good evening guys. I've never owned a muzzle loader until now, I'm more into AR15s and such. I had been saving up for a muzzle loader to take advantage of the two week muzzleloader season here in VA because the rut is usually in prime time and it's bear season as well. I run suppressors on all of my centerfire rifles so when silencerco introduced their Maxim 50 I decided to jump in.

I got the ML yesterday, mounted my scope and went to the range today. Got it on at 45 yards (about an 1" high) went out to 100 and it was all over the place.

I am using 100 grains blackhorn 209, Winchester 209 primer and a federal bor lok mz copper solid 270 grain projectile.

I torqued and loctited my base and rings, double checked that they were tight so unless there is an internal problem with the scope ( I don't think that's the case) the scope should be good to go.

I measured the powder in the provided graduated cylinder and put it into speed loaders but in my excitement I did spill a little, could that give me such huge variations?

Any obvious issues that I'm missing?

I ordered some IMR white hots today, it would seem that they would be more consistent, I'm also considered taking the scope off and putting it on a rifle that I know is accurate to rule out a scope issue but haven't done that yet.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Re: Silencerco Maxim 50

I ordered some IMR white hots today, it would seem that they would be more consistent,

How would you imagine a pellet is going to be more consistent? Ive seen them vary in weight by a few grains.

Weigh your Blackhorn loads just like you would a smokeless powder or get a better volumetric measure like a Redding 3br. About 70gr by weight=100gr by volume. What are you using to measure the powder now?

Maybe the rifle just does not like those BOR bullets?

I used the little graduated cylinder that the rifle came with the to measure the loads. I don't reload for metallic cartridges so I don't have a scale currently.

It may be the bullets. My assumption on the pellets was because they can't be spilled or mismeasured as easily. They just seem simple I guess. Like I said I've never owned or fired a muzzle loader until today.

What brand and model rifle did you get? Members can give pretty good ideas what loads work in different guns. Sorry. Caught my mistake. There are a variety of bullets to try. Barnes 290 TEZ or TMZ a good choice. Pack the bullet nice and tight on the powder.

I used the little graduated cylinder that the rifle came with the to measure the loads.

I went to their website and cant find any mention of a powder measure so i cant comment on it. The T/C U-View measure is pretty popular but it still requires a consistent technique.

Allowing the barrel to cool is critical...5min or more in many cases. Warm weather might be in the 15min range and in the shade.

What bullets/sabots do they recommend?

rangerod said:
What brand and model rifle did you get? Members can give pretty good ideas what loads work in different guns. Sorry. Caught my mistake. There are a variety of bullets to try. Barnes 290 TEZ or TMZ a good choice. Pack the bullet nice and tight on the powder.

Its a Traditions Strikefire but its had a suppressor attached permanently.

Well it sounds like they say NO SABOTS...Good Luck, your projectile options just went from hundreds to a handful.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silencerco ... 0-FAQ2.pdf

Approved Projectiles
Federal B.O.R. Lock Z
Hornady FPB
Similar Projectiles That Do Not Have Wadding
or Plastic That Separates From The Projectile
Upon Firing

Sounds like ONLY BH209 is approved and ONLY upto 100gr
Approved Black Powder
100gr of Blackhorn 209 Powder

Well I definitely did not allow that kind of cool down time so that may be a contributing factor.

Load recommendations from their page.
kLfvdGn.jpg

https://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/maxim-50/products/maxim-50?variant=37950952529

GM54-120 said:
Well it sounds like they say NO SABOTS...Good Luck, your projectile options just went from hundreds to a handful.

Approved Projectiles
Federal B.O.R. Lock Z
Hornady FPB
Upon Firing

Approved Black Powder

no comment ...........,..,,,

1874sharpsshooter said:
GM54-120 said:

Approved Projectiles
Federal B.O.R. Lock Z
Hornady FPB
Upon Firing

Approved Black Powder

This is about the dumbest thing I have seen . And a thousand bucks on top of it.
That's helpful thanks

sovapatriot said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
GM54-120 said:

Approved Projectiles
Federal B.O.R. Lock Z
Hornady FPB
Upon Firing

Approved Black Powder

This is about the dumbest thing I have seen . And a thousand bucks on top of it.
That's helpful thanks

Sorry. Was just think out loud about the restrictions on loads bullets etc. makes it hard to work up an accurate load

1874sharpsshooter said:
sovapatriot said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
That's helpful thanks

Sorry. Was just think out loud about the restrictions on loads bullets etc. makes it hard to work up an accurate load
Yea, it's a new design and I'm new to muzzleloaders so probably not the best combo. On a podcast they did about the gun they said you could use other loads but the published loads are what they had the best luck with. So either I'm doing something wrong (very likely) or I got a lemon which I hope is not the case.

Blackhorn powder heat the barrels up quicker than other sub powders. So allowing plenty of cooling time between shots is needed when looking for accuracy. Looking through those specs I see a "Brass Loading Tube". I assume that is to get the loose powder down the bore past the suppressor. It does say they include a loading measure. When using one for Any black powder or sub you must pour the powder the same way, same speed, etc each time to maintain Consistency. You can pick up a fairly inexpensive digital scale but do remember that black powder is measured by Volume and not weight so you need to convert the measurements as GM54-120 pointed out above.

With muzzleloaders Consistency is the key to getting the most accuracy out of your rifle. Not fully sure why they state no on Sabots, but it does mention the ramrod tip might pull the tip out of some pointed bullets. : :d'oh!: This is easily remedied by changing the jag to one that is appropriate for pointed bullets. The only other reason I could see for saying no sabots, is they might be afraid of the pedals starting to open inside the suppressor.

ShawnT said:
Blackhorn powder heat the barrels up quicker than other sub powders. So allowing plenty of cooling time between shots is needed when looking for accuracy. Looking through those specs I see a "Brass Loading Tube". I assume that is to get the loose powder down the bore past the suppressor. It does say they include a loading measure. When using one for Any black powder or sub you must pour the powder the same way, same speed, etc each time to maintain Consistency. You can pick up a fairly inexpensive digital scale but do remember that black powder is measured by Volume and not weight so you need to convert the measurements as GM54-120 pointed out above.

With muzzleloaders Consistency is the key to getting the most accuracy out of your rifle. Not fully sure why they state no on Sabots, but it does mention the ramrod tip might pull the tip out of some pointed bullets. : :d'oh!: This is easily remedied by changing the jag to one that is appropriate for pointed bullets. The only other reason I could see for saying no sabots, is they might be afraid of the pedals starting to open inside the suppressor.

Well I definitely didn't have a consistent pour by any means. It appears there is a steep learning curve in this sport that I didn't anticipate. I'm positive the sabots are a no go because of the baffles. My brother reloads so I'm going to get him to measure out some charges for me on his digital scale to ensure consistency and order some Hornady and Barnes bullets to try.

You can vary a charge more than to think if you don't pour it the same way. When to get to your brothers try it. Let him set up the scale, then pour the charges in the measure to the setting you used and then transfer it to the scale pan and weigh it. Do that several times. Bet you get a big surprise. :wink:

Look at the Black horn site for loading data. Go to FAQ's and look at item #5.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/faqs/

This is how they tell you to convert the volume measurements to Weight measurements.

""". If you prefer to weigh charges, you can convert the volume load recommendations into weighed grains by multiplying the volume load by 0.7. Example: 100 units by volume x 0.7 = 70 grains by weight. 110 volume charge x 0.7 = 77 grains by weight."""""

You can put the weighed charges in small tubes, vials, or little bottles to take to the range.

I have this little cheat sheet taped in the top of my loading box. Looked like your spec sheet said max might be 100gnV for your rifle.

Attachments

• Blackhorn chart.JPG
    Blackhorn chart.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 815

I stopped by my local hardware/sporting goods store this morning and they had blackhorn 209 volumetric powder tubes with a much better cap design than what came with the gun so I got those. I also grabbed a spout top for my blackhorn 209 keg and that helped me measure out my powder much more exact and consistent. I still only have the federal projectiles. But a buddy of mine let me borrow an extra scope of his so I may be able to rule out a scope issue. Headed back to the range now.

Back