wolf breech plug threads getting dirty

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
Hoping someone here can shed some light on my problem. My cva wolf's breech plug is the new style, the gun is stainless and I bought it new last year. My breech plug has been coming out dirty in the thread area, I have three plugs for it and they all do this now to varying degrees. I don't remember having that problem when I first got the gun. the plugs have all been sized to the gun and screwed all the way in as far as they will go, and still gets dirty threads.

Try a single wrap of Teflon tape on the length of the threads. They make an anti-seize compound you can apply to the threads in lieu of the tape too. Personally I'd do the tape.

redear said:
Hoping someone here can shed some light on my problem. My cva wolf's breech plug is the new style, the gun is stainless and I bought it new last year. My breech plug has been coming out dirty in the thread area, I have three plugs for it and they all do this now to varying degrees. I don't remember having that problem when I first got the gun. the plugs have all been sized to the gun and screwed all the way in as far as they will go, and still gets dirty threads.
When you say they were sized to the gun, does that mean you used the installation tool and torqued the breech plug completely tight when first installed? If this is done, you should then be able to screw the plug in finger tight, with no blowback into the threads.

The lip that "crushes" to make the seal on the front of those plugs is very thin and if anything has nicked it will, or could, leak when fired. A piece of grit from powder residue at the back of the barrel could cause it to leak. The tape is just a safeguard.

Maybe even trying to 're-seat" the plug using the tool may help get rid of the leaking.

yes, both of my spare plugs have been installed with the wrench and then tapped on the wrench with a heavy pair of pliers till they wouldn't screw down any further, and then re sized after my problem. I pm'd carlos and he suggested a more thorough cleaning of the barrel and plugs to start with. I think I may have something built up on the lip inside the barrel because my patches were clean but if I pulled back on the rod slightly after getting the patch into the thread section of the barrel, the patch would get a ring of soil on it. My plugs have no damage to them but the trouble all started when I put a western powders plug in the gun to try blackhorn, I did seat it down as far as it would go but later after reseating it, it seemed to screw in further that time, I think my first volley of blackhorn shooting got crud behind that lip. anyway I'll clean it tomorrow and we will see what happens then. kip

Oh, and thank you all for responding with your suggestions!

PTFE tape, otherwise known as "teflon" tape is what you need to use. It comes in various thicknesses indicated by color. White is the typical plumbers stuff, then pink and then yellow is for use on gas lines etc... I have used all three types and all work. I give the plug a couple wraps all the way from nose to end. Then install tightly. That is for my SML guns. W

I have 2 wolfs one with the quick disconect breech plug,which doesn't quick disconect after shooting a few times.have the dirty threads also trying some anti-seize gunk on them see what happens next time i shoot them.have never shot loose powder in them might give that a try also.don't care for the true glow sights either just cheap plastic sh*t.

today I cleaned the barrel again and wrapped the plug with the tape, will try that and see what happens, I really don't want to take a chance of having to clean those interior threads in the barrel again. I also put a DNZ one piece mount on the gun and a Nikon inline scope for more eye clearance. the taped plug screwed in easier than I thought it would.

Latest posts

Back