Dream gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This may be a little premature but I am working on getting my dream gun built. I won't know til Monday on the barrel but I have high hopes . If the barrel is a go then it's up to Bestill to pull this all together . This will be a long range conical gun built specifically for shooting 400+ gr lead conical with 70 to 90 gr powder
The gun platform is a Remington 700 ml
The stock is the Boyd's varmint stock I posted in another thread
The barrel I really want is a Krieger MUT profile
.408/.416 with a 1:16 twist .
Timney target trigger
AsG hunter nose bolt
Bestill plug and bushing
Scope is a Vortex 6 x 24
I am sure when he gets done it will be a Tack driver
My goal is an extremely accurate 500 yard conical gun
If the Krieger barrel falls through then my second choice is a Douglas .
I will post an update once it's underway
And thanks to Bestill for taking on this project :)

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I'm very excited to see how this project works out . Good luck with your endeavor!
Thanks. i am looking forward to it . It will be especially nice to go out and bang on the gong without having to stop after only 10 or 20 shots because the old shoulder can't take no more . This will be a low recoil gun yet should be good out to 500 yards
I think it would make a great Friendship gun :)

My dream gun. Not so heavy, light recoil, even with 26" barrel handy and feels short. ACCURATE!
"Bestill" did an Omega for me and I'm doing load development now. Built on an Omega platform with 45 cal 26" Brux and 1/20 twist barrel. Seems that it puts about everything going down the tube just where it's supposed to go. So far all has been HSB sabot shooting and the XTP - SST - Fury - Pittman bullets all fly straight and true. I like it much better than the Encore conversion that I sold to finance this build. Being closer to 70 than 60 years I am way over those heavy recoil guns. Good luck shooting and be safe. Mark that loading rod. W

wolfer said:
My dream gun. Not so heavy, light recoil, even with 26" barrel handy and feels short. ACCURATE!
"Bestill" did an Omega for me and I'm doing load development now. Built on an Omega platform with 45 cal 26" Brux and 1/20 twist barrel. Seems that it puts about everything going down the tube just where it's supposed to go. So far all has been HSB sabot shooting and the XTP - SST - Fury - Pittman bullets all fly straight and true. I like it much better than the Encore conversion that I sold to finance this build. Being closer to 70 than 60 years I am way over those heavy recoil guns. Good luck shooting and be safe. Mark that loading rod. W
Yep the omega makes a great custom without a doubt .

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Sweet they had your barrel ?

Only if you consider waiting 4 months "having" :D

I went through the order process and lead time for the 1-14 was 4 months. 1-16 is special order but since they are cut rifled it should not really effect lead time a lot.

GM54-120 said:
Dougs136Schwartz said:

I went through the order process and lead time for the 1-14 was 4 months. 1-16 is special order but since they are cut rifled it should not really effect lead time a lot.

Barrel was on self ready just finish profile and ship.
He was blessed finding this.

GM54-120 said:
Dougs136Schwartz said:

I found it listed in their overstock inventory. I called and they still had it so they said they will get it cleaned up and shipped in about 2 weeks. Estimated to be received first of November :)

:) a Krieger. , oh yea ! :)

I found it on the overstock page

They dont have anything i would consider without contouring. Noticed they offer a 45 1-24 which are not common but its way too beefy for what i have in mind. Im considering selling my SavPac 45 to fund a rebarrel on the NULA. Hate to do it but a NULA 45 is my dream rifle even if its just milder pressure loads.

GM54-120 said:
I found it on the overstock page

They dont have anything i would consider without contouring. Noticed they offer a 45 1-24 which are not common but its way too beefy for what i have in mind. Im considering selling my SavPac 45 to fund a rebarrel on the NULA. Hate to do it but a NULA 45 is my dream rifle even if its just milder pressure loads.
Among the top shooters it seems Right after heavy Palma contour the mtu contour Is the most popular, So for what I want to do Hopefully it works out to be a good choice

Maybe with 1874's permission Bestill could post some progress photos of the build once it gets started??? hint hint hint :D :prayer: :poke:

Re: RE: Re: Dream gun

shguns said:
Maybe with 1874's permission Bestill could post some progress photos of the build once it gets started??? hint hint hint :D :prayer: :poke:
X2. Id vote for that!

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: Dream gun

herschel conyers said:
shguns said:
X2. Id vote for that!

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk
Fine by me if he wants to do that .
I wouldn't mind seeing the progress myself :)

Back