debating BH209 AND 777.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fort Valley Man said:
I recently switched to BH209. Once you spend some time on the range with it, you will not look back. No swabbing between shot, and you will be using a less expensive primer (CCI Mag Shotgun Primer) compared to the Special Muzzleloading Primers.

Yes, you will have to clean your breech plug, but you should have been doing that anyway. Once you follow the instructions on the website, you will see it is not a big deal. You will have to go to a Smith or Machinist and have the Flash Channel reamed out to .030. It cost me $20 bucks to insure I would not have any misfires.

The first day out using BH209, I got 1 big hole on a 3 shot group at 100 yards, using Hornady XTP .250 grain bullets with the short black Harvester sabot. I dialed in my scope to 1" high at 100 yards, and reshot another 1 big hole (3 shot group).

I clean the barrel with Hoppes #9.

Before you go out to shoot after you have cleaned, simply fire 3 caps and your barrel will be fouled so the bullet will return to POI. Your best groups are on a fouled barrel. You can leave your barrel fouled some days without worrying about cleaning, unlike some of the other BP Substitutes.

Good luck on your decision to switch powders.

when you say the breech plug had to be reamed out, is this because it wasn't concaved to accept the blackhorn? I will have to order a special concaved plug from CVA for mine that allows the BH 209 to get closer to the primer.

I am not sure about the concave part, but you could call Blackhorn's Customer Service and they could tell you. They were helpful when I called about opening up the flash hole to .030.

Taking the standard CVA plug and just increasing the FLASH HOLE size is a band-aide solution and barely better than stock. You still have a fairly long plug with a 3mm FLASH CHANNEL.

A BH209 plug has a shorter but slightly larger 1/8th flash channel. The powder is closer to the primer.
cva_optima_v2_QRBPs.jpg

GM54-120 said:
Taking the standard CVA plug and just increasing the FLASH HOLE size is a band-aide solution and barely better than stock. You still have a fairly long plug with a 3mm FLASH CHANNEL.

A BH209 plug has a shorter but larger OD 1/8th flash channel. The powder is closer to the primer.

I kind of figured the plugs were different. Mine is $24 so one payday ill buy a plug and another a jug of powder and go from there.

Its my opinion you can make an even better plug from the regular QRBP.

Increase flash channel to 5/32. Recess powder side and add a Savage type vent liner. Ron posted a walk through on the modification.
viewtopic.php?t=21681

New powder coming on the way Black MZ hope it's cheaper then bh209.

Bearman 49 said:
New powder coming on the way Black MZ hope it's cheaper then bh209.
Unless there was a change to it, Black MZ has been out a while. Not the same thing as BH 209.

Didn't know it had been out for a while any body you know use it?

the goex below that that's real b.p.? right and cheaper then the subsitutes.I've heard on here that you really have to clean up quick after use.I do that as soon as i get home from hunting or just target practice.will try that stuff for sure.

Real black is no worse than Pyrodex when it comes to corrosion. Try the Olde Enysford if you want real black with some "umph" to it. Only $2 more a pound than regular Goex. Swiss is the Cadillac of real black if you dont mind the price tag. Pretty much as powerful as Triple7.

well Its getting close to that time when I start tinkering with the deer guns and need to make a decision. Part of me says I only use the ML for 4 days a year so just use normal 777 so I don't have to buy a new breech plug, primers, powder. I just found 100 777 primers from last year, half box 777 pellets, 777 cleaner never opened so I'm leaning toward 777 loose.

other then cleanup and velocity what other things make black horn better then 777 loose?

ohiohunter2017 said:
well Its getting close to that time when I start tinkering with the deer guns and need to make a decision. Part of me says I only use the ML for 4 days a year so just use normal 777 so I don't have to buy a new breech plug, primers, powder. I just found 100 777 primers from last year, half box 777 pellets, 777 cleaner never opened so I'm leaning toward 777 loose.

other then cleanup and velocity what other things make black horn better then 777 loose?
Black Horn is non hygroscopic meaning it doesn't suck up moisture. It also doesn't crush so you can lean on the ramrod all you want.

BH 209 is great in closed breech guns with 209 primer and doesn't require swabbing between shots, but you will have to clean the carbon out of the breechplug after about 10-11 shots or accuracy will suffer.

Triple 7 gets a crud ring with a tight bore and 209 primers, but with #11 caps there is no crud ring and I can shoot all day without swabbing in my White rifles which have a larger bore than most muzzleloaders and are consistent from breech to muzzle.

Latest posts

Back