debating BH209 AND 777.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
I keep wanting to try BH but it seems like a pain with the different plug, special shotgun primers, drill bit in the plug but I hate cleaning the crud rings out of my guns.

I purchased the TC u view measure and powder funnel thinking I was going to use 777 FFG but now I'm thinking for sanity reasons BH is the way. can I use the tc u view for BH? how are you guys measuring this stuff?

I use the same powder measure with my bh209 for my omega and it does the job just fine, I started out by weight my loads but out to 150 yards or closer I didn't it that crucial, even at 200 yards I get good consistent groups by using the powder measure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep wanting to try BH but it seems like a pain with the different plug, special shotgun primers,

I look at it just the opposite. ML primers are "special" and double the cost of common shotshell primers. The "special" ML primers might help with the crud ring a tiny bit but ...come on....Double the cost? I would switch to rifle primer ignition before i paid $7-$8 for 100 primers and enjoy a few more benefits.

I want to use the blackhorn powder also and bought the breech plug etc. but in my wolf the triple 7 pellets are getting me better groups, so with time running out for deer season I switched back to t7 for now.

redear said:
I want to use the blackhorn powder also and bought the breech plug etc. but in my wolf the triple 7 pellets are getting me better groups, so with time running out for deer season I switched back to t7 for now.

Ive got until first week of January to get it figured out. I'm a little concerned about the BH not shooting well and now I have a breech plug and powder that I cant use. With my cva optima I couldn't get 100gr of powder to shoot worth a darn so switched to 777 mag pellets 120gr and it shoots well. I keep thinking what if BH does the same and now I'm out money.

Re: RE: Re: debating BH209 AND 777.

ohiohunter2017 said:
redear said:

Ive got until first week of January to get it figured out. I'm a little concerned about the BH not shooting well and now I have a breech plug and powder that I cant use. With my cva optima I couldn't get 100gr of powder to shoot worth a darn so switched to 777 mag pellets 120gr and it shoots well. I keep thinking what if BH does the same and now I'm out money.
Give us a hint, what bullets are you using?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

herschel conyers said:
ohiohunter2017 said:
redear said:

Give us a hint, what bullets are you using?

Last year I used TC shockwaves 200 or 250gr I cant remember and they grouped well but the lung shot buck from a 20ft tree stand didn't think they performed well as there was no exit and no blood trail. This year I have green harvester sabots and 240gr xtp cause that's what I shoot in 44mag carbine.

You might try the 300 grain xtp s . Blackhorn seems to preform better with the heavier bullets.

herschel conyers said:
You might try the 300 grain xtp s . Blackhorn seems to preform better with the heavier bullets.

thanks, ill try them. I figured try the 240's cause I have a good supply for the 44mag. if they don't work ill grab 300gr ones as ive always wanted to try them in the 44mag also.

herschel conyers said:

Oh better penetration too, they will shoot thru a big buck.

I'm thinking that the blackhorn will have to waite for me to get another gun, this wolf kicks hard even with weight added in the fore arm and butt stock, blackhorn makes it unbearable for me out of that gun.

redear said:
I'm thinking that the blackhorn will have to waite for me to get another gun, this wolf kicks hard even with weight added in the fore arm and butt stock, blackhorn makes it unbearable for me out of that gun.

does blackhorn kick more than say 777 120gr? I wonder why if its the same charge.

I am recoil sensitive right now, I tripped and fell a while back and landed on that shoulder. I can see getting an accura lr maybe for next year. I can only hunt from the ground and shoot off of a bog pod set of sticks, and only hunt fields due to being disabled from a nerve disease that got my legs. I tried 85 gr. blackhorn with a 250 barnes t-ez bullet, it was too much after shooting several rounds. I like heavy guns for shooting off of sticks anyways.

the reason I mentioned the accura LR is toby bridges mentioned that the heavy rifle was very mild in recoil due to being 10lbs. with scope. I do feel the blackhorn is brutal in the recoil department in comparison to other powders, but can still see using it later on with a different gun.

For folks bothered by recoil................consider using only 65 grain Blackhorn; 230g Lehigh controlled fracturing bullet.

Most popular bullets fail at slowing speeds out there; the controlled fracturing bullets continue to work as designed, out past where Hornady, Barnes, and Speer fail.

Redear I'm sorry for your health problems and applaud you for not allowing your disabilities to keep you from doing what you love to do . I hope your hunting season is blessed .

The biggest reason I like Blackhorn 209 over 777 or Black powder is clean up . I like to be able to clean my gun with solvent based cleaners vrs water base cleaners while using 777 or Black . If you stay with a 250 grain bullet or lighter there is very little gain in velocity while using Blackhorn 209 . If your concerned about recoil while using Blackhorn 209 try a light load of 50 to 60 grains of Blackhorn. Last weekend I shot some very good groups with 55 grains of Blackhorn 209 with a 250
grain Parker BE . I have also shot Precision Rifles 180 and 200 grain Dead Centers bullets well under 1 inch at 100 yards with 60 grains of Blackhorn 209. Both loads I have worked on for my daughters and my Father . They were wanting a light recoil loads . These loads have very little recoil .

ronlaughlin said:
For folks bothered by recoil................consider using only 65 grain Blackhorn; 230g Lehigh controlled fracturing bullet.

Most popular bullets fail at slowing speeds out there; the controlled fracturing bullets continue to work as designed, out past where Hornady, Barnes, and Speer fail.

That's a very good point .

I recently switched to BH209. Once you spend some time on the range with it, you will not look back. No swabbing between shot, and you will be using a less expensive primer (CCI Mag Shotgun Primer) compared to the Special Muzzleloading Primers.

Yes, you will have to clean your breech plug, but you should have been doing that anyway. Once you follow the instructions on the website, you will see it is not a big deal. You will have to go to a Smith or Machinist and have the Flash Channel reamed out to .030. It cost me $20 bucks to insure I would not have any misfires.

The first day out using BH209, I got 1 big hole on a 3 shot group at 100 yards, using Hornady XTP .250 grain bullets with the short black Harvester sabot. I dialed in my scope to 1" high at 100 yards, and reshot another 1 big hole (3 shot group).

I clean the barrel with Hoppes #9.

Before you go out to shoot after you have cleaned, simply fire 3 caps and your barrel will be fouled so the bullet will return to POI. Your best groups are on a fouled barrel. You can leave your barrel fouled some days without worrying about cleaning, unlike some of the other BP Substitutes.

Good luck on your decision to switch powders.

Latest posts

Back