One Breech Plug--Any Omega--Any Primer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_2670.JPG

It looks like a standard Omega breech plug; it isn't. It allows the use of any standard shotgun primer, resulting in zero blow by. It does this in seven different Omega rifles. There has been about 1400 shots through this breech plug.

IMG_2141.JPG

After centering the breech plug, a 0.244" end mill, was used to make the primer socket 0.019" deeper. This allows one to utilize a metric o-ring under the primer. Why do this? It completely stops blow by around the nose of the primer; the primer seat will never get flame cut. Because the o-ring is flexible, the plug can use the shortest STS primer, and the longest W209 primer, and neither causes blow by. Of course the 209A primer works too. Also, i assume the CCI primers will also work perfectly.

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2147.JPG

After about 700 shots, the flash hole had eroded to 0.036"; a vent liner was installed.

To me it is kinda/sorta interesting the plug could be mailed anywhere in the world; produce perfect results using any primer, in any Omega rifle. At least i presume; i have only used it in seven rifles. One couldn't do this in CVA, nor Knight rifles. Will this breech plug ever wear out?

Powder used is only Blackhorn. Bullet weight using this plug has very mostly been 300 grain. Some shots, the bullet weighed 265 grain. Don't keep a journal so i may have forgotten other weights, but don't think so. Powder charge was mostly 60 weighed grain. Several other powder weights were used, including 65 grain, 72 grain, and 75 grain; don't recall any other powder charge used.

Me, i don't believe that bullet weight, nor the powder charge used, nor the primer, would affect the function of this breech plug. Of course i could be wrong. ☺

Ron, why could not work in Knight? The use of the O ring to take up the space of different primers seems to me it would work fine in a Knight NFPJ plug. Provided you are change the O Ring as the heat and pressure wears it out.

And of course the Knight plugs already come with the 5/32" flash channel and vent liner, to be bad it is fused into the plug - but once it wears out That problem can be rectified also.

I did the same Primer pocket deepening to my Knight KRB7 plug and installed an o-ring. No Vent liner yet. Now shoots all powders including BH.

sabotloader said:
Ron, why could not work in Knight? The use of the O ring to take up the space of different primers seems to me it would work fine in a Knight NFPJ plug............
Because the o-ring gets boogered when the action is closed by rotating the bolt?

ronlaughlin said:
Powder used is only Blackhorn. Bullet weight using this plug has very mostly been 300 grain. Some shots, the bullet weighed 265 grain. Don't keep a journal so i may have forgotten other weights, but don't think so. Powder charge was mostly 60 weighed grain. Several other powder weights were used, including 65 grain, 72 grain, and 75 grain; don't recall any other powder charge used.

Me, i don't believe that bullet weight, nor the powder charge used, nor the primer, would affect the function of this breech plug. Of course i could be wrong. ☺

Great post and certainly will work perfectly.

I did alittle testing with oring and heavy blackhorn loads and 300 grain bullets and definitely reduced oring life.

Also tried some x-ring orings which did last alittle longer.

This is great upgrade for normal loads for sure

ronlaughlin said:
ShawnT said:
I did the same Primer pocket deepening to my Knight KRB7 plug and installed an o-ring. No Vent liner yet. Now shoots all powders including BH.
Will your plug work in the other guy's rifle?
I sent one out but have not heard back yet if it is ok. Don't see why it would not, but we'll see. KRB7 is a Rolling block.

Really great idea and execution of same. Now where can I get my plugs done? I have 2 Omegas. W

ronlaughlin said:
Busta said:
Who woulda thunk!

Busta woulda! ☺

Mine was out of necessity, the mother of all invention. Back in 2008 when I wanted to shoot Blackhorn 209 out of my 3 H&R/NEF tip-ups, using the Ben Hubbard and MU prototype custom breech plugs. This was the way to make them 100% reliable in the ignition department.

Used them in the Knight bolt rifles, as well as others over the years. You are right about the camming acton of the knight bolts buggering up the o-ring if your headspace is not perfect.

Latest posts

Back