New optima

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question I’ve finally retired muni trusty ole traditions lightning bolt magnum after many many years of use an it’s hi temp rattle can finish. I purchased a black stock stainless optima. My question is this I shot pellets in my traditions. But I am wanting to go to powder. First thing first I am not into spending that kinda money for black horn. I understand it works an works well from
What I’ve read. But I am not into the extended cost an shimmining of primers an so on. I always shot powerbelts from my traditions believe it or not they shot amazing. But guys an even gals give me some good loads to look into. With either triple seven powder or pellets an sabot suggestions. Also anyone given the federal borlocks a go yet

Pellets cost more to use per shot than equivalent loads of Blackhorn 209. PowerBelts also cost more than 90% of the other muzzleloader specific offerings. Just something to think about before you make up your mind.

A few loads that I shoot in my .50 cal are listed below. Note my gun is a Knight KRB7 and I shoot BH209, but you should be able to replicate most loads with loose T7 3F granulation.

120 gr. BH, .430 Hornady 265 gr. FTX in a MMP green sabot
110 gr. BH, .458 Hornady 325 gr. FTX in a MMP orange sabot
90 gr. BH, 350 gr. Hornady FPB
120 gr. BH, 200 gr. Shockwave in MMP blue sabot

Nothing wrong with T7 powder, loose is cheaper way cheaper than pellet and you have better control over charge which equates into better consistency. That equals better accuracy. Just remember to clean ASAP and clean well.

I agree on loose powder an I am no fan of the powerbelts. They are crazy stupid in price. But my traditions shot them great. But I’m looking to go back to powder. But not looking to go blackhorn

I shoot 80gr T7 loose with either 295gr Powerbelt Aerotips or 300gr Aerolites, both shoot about the same. 80 grains is a little light but I'm not shooting past 100ish yards and it's a little more recoil friendly when my GF uses my gun. If you have a limited muzzleloader season like me in PA I think Triple 7 loose is fine because your guns only loaded for about a week or less and you clean it usually at the end of the season or when you shoot it off. If you live in say Ohio of somewhere that the season is longer or that's all you can use and you're shooting alot, then I'd go to blackhorn honestly, it's way cleaner.

I'm personally trying to get away from powerbelts because of the price but I have enough right now that I'll just use them up before I switch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Forum. Looks like your in Ohio so your hunting deer. I too am a fellow Buckeye just living in NY.

Want to save some money? Dump the power belts and pellets. CVA sells those powerbelts so it is in their best interest to push them. Loose powder is not hard to work with and more tuneable in that you can vary the charge weight more. Yes pellets can shoot well but they do have some down sides, box is not sealed so they can draw moisture and your stuck with the size of the pellet for your load. Get a good Volumetric powder measure like the TC U-view and a bottle funnel for the 777 bottle. You can get pistol bullets and sabots in bulk and save a lot of money. A good bullet for Deer is the Hornaday 45cal 300gn XTP (non-Mag) and seems the Harvester Crushrib sabot works well in CVA bores (my nephews Wolf loves them).

Lets compare some prices I got from Midway USA, but some Walmarts in Ohio used to carry some of if not all of this.

50 rounds

777 50gn Pellets = $27.99 (2 pellets = 100gn so 50 shots per box)
Powerbelts 295 Areo Tip per 15rds ($21.99) so need 3 packs for 45 shots 21.99 x 3 = $65.97

$27.99 + $65.97 = $93.96

1lb loose 777 = $24.49 (might not use the whole bottle for this) if you catch the end of season sales at Walmart this will be cheaper.
1 box of 50 300gn XTP = $17.99
1 pack of 50 Crushrib sabots = $8.99

$24.49 + $17.99 + 8.99 = $51.47 for 50 shots

ShawnT said:
Welcome to the Forum. Looks like your in Ohio so your hunting deer. I too am a fellow Buckeye just living in NY.

Want to save some money? Dump the power belts and pellets. CVA sells those powerbelts so it is in their best interest to push them. Loose powder is not hard to work with and more tuneable in that you can vary the charge weight more. Yes pellets can shoot well but they do have some down sides, box is not sealed so they can draw moisture and your stuck with the size of the pellet for your load. Get a good Volumetric powder measure like the TC U-view and a bottle funnel for the 777 bottle. You can get pistol bullets and sabots in bulk and save a lot of money. A good bullet for Deer is the Hornaday 45cal 300gn XTP (non-Mag) and seems the Harvester Crushrib sabot works well in CVA bores (my nephews Wolf loves them).

Lets compare some prices I got from Midway USA, but some Walmarts in Ohio used to carry some of if not all of this.

50 rounds

777 50gn Pellets = $27.99 (2 pellets = 100gn so 50 shots per box)
Powerbelts 295 Areo Tip per 15rds ($21.99) so need 3 packs for 45 shots 21.99 x 3 = $65.97

$27.99 + $65.97 = $93.96

1lb loose 777 = $24.49 (might not use the whole bottle for this) if you catch the end of season sales at Walmart this will be cheaper.
1 box of 50 300gn XTP = $17.99
1 pack of 50 Crushrib sabots = $8.99

$24.49 + $17.99 + 8.99 = $51.47 for 50 shots

Yes sir Ohio here. And i also use my muzzleloader for gun season as well. In fact I’ve not bought a pack of shotgun slugs since I was a freshman in high school. Scared to do that math on that. But we just had our 20year class reunion last month. Once I made the switch from shotgun to the in-line I’ve never looked backed.

I have not used a shotgun for more than 20 years now, forgot how long. Was shooting a percussion before I got my first inline. When they let the straight walled cartridge rifle in, my nephew asked me if I was going to one, my response was "Why"? :lol: I come back to SE Ohio every year for deer gun season. Don't get back for the late ML season. :( I get over to Dayton once in a while to visit with my cousin but not as often as I would like. Man he takes some Big bucks over there with a Bow on some of the Farms he has got permission to hunt on.

Bryandaytonohio said:
Question I’ve finally retired muni trusty ole traditions lightning bolt magnum after many many years of use an it’s hi temp rattle can finish. I purchased a black stock stainless optima. My question is this I shot pellets in my traditions. But I am wanting to go to powder. First thing first I am not into spending that kinda money for black horn. I understand it works an works well from
What I’ve read. But I am not into the extended cost an shimmining of primers an so on. I always shot powerbelts from my traditions believe it or not they shot amazing. But guys an even gals give me some good loads to look into. With either triple seven powder or pellets an sabot suggestions. Also anyone given the federal borlocks a go yet

You know a bullet that you really might be interested is the new Lehigh Defense .451x230CF-HP. I have not harvested with it as yet - and like you I use my ML during rifle season and the season has just started. Your Optima if things run true in a CVA will be a rather tight bore and this .451 would go along with that very well...

This is a all copper bullet and is built in the fashion of the Lehigh/Knight Brass Bloodline series. These bullets and the way they operate have outstanding Terminal Performance, I say the best - but I am totally biased.

Accuracy - wow! even from a 1-48 twist rifle.

This pic shows the bullet... I have been shooting it for a couple of months now.

Lehigh_451x230_CF-HP.jpg

They are available from Lehigh Defense or MidwayUSA - they seem to be a bit less expensive from Midway.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/collectio ... 6101510216

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocat ... sPerPage=0

I shoot them with a W209 primer, 120 grains T7-2f and in a MMP HPH-24 sabot. And of course the Harvester Short Black or long could easily be subbed. Also if they are to tight for you then the MMP 3PEZ sabot or the Harvester Crush rib would solve the problem

Pellets work I know for a lot - but they are expensive and sometimes be a problem as they get older.

Here is a ballistic sheet computed from my shooting across a chrono...

Lehigh_451x230CF_HP_120_T7.jpg

Look at the velocity and energy achieved from this simple load. Even if you backed down to 100 grains - you would still have a very effective bullet.

This is the first target I shot with the .451's and I shot it with an old Renegade 50 cal. side hammer. Only 50 yards but it really shows what it can do. And ya #4 was my fault - I forgot about the trigger touch when you have set the trigger... :oops:

17-05-21_230.jpg

This target was shot with a scoped Ultra-Lite at 100

8-22-17_451x230_Shoot.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

ShawnT said:
I have not used a shotgun for more than 20 years now, forgot how long. Was shooting a percussion before I got my first inline. When they let the straight walled cartridge rifle in, my nephew asked me if I was going to one, my response was "Why"? :lol: I come back to SE Ohio every year for deer gun season. Don't get back for the late ML season. :( I get over to Dayton once in a while to visit with my cousin but not as often as I would like. Man he takes some Big bucks over there with a Bow on some of the Farms he has got permission to hunt on.
I’m in Dayton myself. Jan21st I slammed a big 12 I hunted all year in bellbrook near ceasers creek an springvalley. I hit him he went 70 yards he lost half his rack in the thicket he went through I looked for 3 weeks with no luck locating it. But there are some monsters on these ole cornfield residential surrounded farms.

Bryandaytonohio said:
I’m in Dayton myself.
I gathered that from your screen name. :wink: Not sure where he actually hunts, and doubt he would tall anyone either, but am pretty sure it is in or around the Beaver Creek area, and toward Xenia. He has a couple Farms he is allowed on and on one he is the only guy on it. Those farms are sure feeding those bucks good. He owns a machine shop just down the road about a mile off Woodlawn at the route 35 exit. Have not had the chance to see if he has been out with his bow yet but that is how he mostly hunts.

Back