250 grain Deep Curl

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over a year ago is when this 250g Deep Curl bullet was looked at. At that time the information couldn't be posted to this forum, because of the then server issues. Because the bullet is now available for purchase, but wasn't , it has been kinda/sorta forgotten. The bullet was shot using 50 grain Blackhorn powder. Impact speed was about 1200 fps, and range was 25 yard.

After penetrating carpet, plywood, the bullet completely blew up the front jug, and made large holes/splits in the second jug. It went through the third jug, and ended up in the fourth jug.

IMG_1808.JPG

IMG_1807.JPG

Great report. I load those in 45 colt going 1000 fps. They should work good. Thanks for updating the report.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

That bullet should perform beautifully at low impact speeds. The 44cal 240gr for faster speeds. I really wish they offered the 45cal 250gr with the shallower HP. Same HP as they use on the 300gr DCHP.

I dont shoot 300gr bullets much in the NULA and a lighter DeepCurl would be right up my alley. 44cals normally dont work well with the powders i use in that rifle.

Nothing like soft lead (core)..
Based on 1200fps, that's at 200 yards and 900 ft-lbs
Looks great.

Looks great Ron, If I had a mind to shoot plastic patched bullets that one might well be my choice in a 50 caliber rifle.

GM54-120 said:
That bullet should perform beautifully at low impact speeds. The 44cal 240gr for faster speeds. I really wish they offered the 45cal 250gr with the shallower HP. Same HP as they use on the 300gr DCHP.

My thoughts exactly. In the testing I did, the 250 fared terribly at faster speeds, the 240/300 with the shallower HP did outstanding.
I know alot of folks like all sizes of DC's, but me personally I'm not hunting with those super deep HP versions. I love the 240/.429... taken a number of deer with them, perfect performance, very accurate. :yeah:

And yes, after a several year hiatus... its nice to see DC's available again. :D

Latest posts

Back