Konus pro 3x9x40

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok all I’m new to the cva am the optima. Mine came with the scope listed as the title. I’m kinda liking it but not so many reviews. So all your cva fella an woman give me tour pros an cons on the Konus

Re: RE: Konus pro 3x9x40

Bryandaytonohio said:
Ok all I’m new to the cva am the optima. Mine came with the scope listed as the title. I’m kinda liking it but not so many reviews. So all your cva fella an woman give me tour pros an cons on the Konus
I like it on my optima, clear and seems to hold zero great! My dad has the same gun and scope too and he likes it! Definitely not a leupold but it put it on part with maybe Bushnell. It gets the job done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Konus pro 3x9x40

kz106 said:
Bryandaytonohio said:
I like it on my optima, clear and seems to hold zero great! My dad has the same gun and scope too and he likes it! Definitely not a leupold but it put it on part with maybe Bushnell. It gets the job done.

Thanks for the positive feedback. The optima I bought was the v2. I plan tomorrow on running some rounds down range an seeing what it can do. Also does you Konus have the hash marks in the scope. I need to learn more an how that all works.

Yep I have the V2, look through the manual for the scope it explains the hash marks in there. I personally don't use them

It's major drawback, and the one that makes it a no go to me, is 2.9" of eye relief. That's a busted eye waiting to happen.

I have no problem with that on mine. If you're shooting 150gr of powder maybe, but why...

kz106 said:
I have no problem with that on mine. If you're shooting 150gr of powder maybe, but why...

I’m with you on that, myself I can’t see a magnum charge for whitetail. Unless your wanting to reach out an really put a hurting on one. But even 100grains I’ve made a 200yards shot an stopped a big ole nanny in her tracks.

Re: RE: Re: Konus pro 3x9x40

Bryandaytonohio said:
kz106 said:

I’m with you on that, myself I can’t see a magnum charge for whitetail. Unless your wanting to reach out an really put a hurting on one. But even 100grains I’ve made a 200yards shot an stopped a big ole nanny in her tracks.
Nice! Me and my dad use 80gr. T7 with 295gr aerotip powerbelt and he dropped a doe in her tracks at 75 yards tonight

Congrats to your dad! CVA, Konus, and Powerbelts are the only way to go... the 295's are a great deer bullet :!:

flint head said:
Congrats to your dad! CVA, Konus, and Powerbelts are the only way to go... the 295's are a great deer bullet :!:
I’ve decided to stay with konus for now. I’ve got 245 grain powerbelts aero tip. Left over I’m gonna give them a go buy i read somewhere you get better results with the 295 in the cva rifles.

245gr is EXTREMELY light for caliber in a 50. There is a reason you dont see light lead 50cal bullets even in slower CF calibers like 50A&E. They pancake due to very very poor sectional density. You would be shooting them even faster which wont help at all. It will make them perform worse.

Sectional density of 0.140 with a bullet weight of 245 and diameter of .500".
IMG_0645.JPG

If you really want to shoot light for caliber full bore projectiles, look at the 250gr Thor. Its copper and wont pancake at any speed you will be able to achieve.

GM54-120 said:
245gr is EXTREMELY light for caliber in a 50. There is a reason you dont see light lead 50cal bullets even in slower CF calibers like 50A&E. They pancake due to very very poor sectional density. You would be shooting them even faster which wont help at all. It will make them perform worse.

Sectional density of 0.140 with a bullet weight of 245 and diameter of .500".
IMG_0645.JPG

If you really want to shoot light for caliber full bore projectiles, look at the 250gr Thor. Its copper and wont pancake at any speed you will be able to achieve.
How would a bullet weighing 5grains more make more of a difference

Simple...Solid pure copper vs soft lead with a thin copper plating. Barnes makes them for Thor. I cant make a Barnes 225gr XPB pancake at 2300fps.

GM54-120 said:
Simple...Solid pure copper vs soft lead with a thin copper plating. Barnes makes them for Thor. I cant make a Barnes 225gr XPB pancake at 2300fps.
So if for some reason I decide to stay with powerbelts I should move up to a 295grain projectile. Which I will also add I’ve always shot the 245 through my old traditions an never had a issue what so over with them always got great flight 1.5” constant grouping at 100yards

Bryandaytonohio said:
GM54-120 said:
So if for some reason I decide to stay with powerbelts I should move up to a 295grain projectile. Which I will also add I’ve always shot the 245 through my old traditions an never had a issue what so over with them always got great flight 1.5” constant grouping at 100yards
I shoot 295 and like them but personally if you've killed deer with the 245s and the shoot good I'd say keep using it. The proof is in the pudding if you have confidence in them. I don't see the need to get all technical over it.

The key to powerbelt bullets is to not push them hard. You also have to remember that the pellets are the equivalent to 50 gr. of black powder, not 50 gr. of T7. I think I read once 100 gr. of pellets was actually closer to 80 gr. of loose. They are soft lead full bore conicals. Treat them as such and you should be fine. Abuse them and find disappointment.

That's why I use 80gr of T7 [emoji106]

Lets see....PB for almost the same cost as a Thor but the Thor cant frag or pancake at any speed you can shoot them in a smoker.

Not sure what is so technical about that. It seems to me when you spend top dollar on a bullet they should perform like top dollar bullets. The fact is a PB does not. It performs more like a light weight lead conical. The Aerolites are virtually the same cost as a Thor.($24-25/15) The Cheaper PBs still cost more than any Barnes XPB with a sabot. $20/15 PBs or about a buck each for the Barnes

The 225gr and 250gr XPB sell for just under a buck each even at Cabelas. Add 12-19cents for a sabot. The Barnes 225gr will out perform a 250gr PB no matter how you slice it with less recoil. It will never frag or flatten into a disc. It will function as designed from about 1000fps to 2000fps or higher.

Deer don't always give you a classic text book broadside opportunity. Using a monolithic type bullet (Barnes, Lehigh, Thor) will improve your shot options when that perfect shot isnt offered.

kz106 said:
Bryandaytonohio said:
GM54-120 said:
I shoot 295 and like them but personally if you've killed deer with the 245s and the shoot good I'd say keep using it. The proof is in the pudding if you have confidence in them. I don't see the need to get all technical over it.

I shot these from my old traditions lighting bolt magnum. I’ve retired that inline and bought the optima. As the pb shot amazing through the traditions I’ve read an read where they preform horrible in the cva rifles. But I’ve looked at the Barnes an shock waves an such an feel that I’m gonna go with a sabot. Now to decide if I want a heavier 300gr or 250 or 270. This is my dilemma now. An I’m also strongly looking to going to powder as well over the pellets. But I am one to actually get as much advice as I can an review an review before I make a purchase. But yes as of now it’s a sabot which one undecided an powder undecided as well. But blackhorn isn’t an option for me. Maybe down the road but for this season it’s just standard black powder

Back