Need help with a .45 cal inline...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kz106

Reaction score
So I have a 10 year old CVA optima .45 cal, since we got it, rusting has been an issue. My dad used pyrodex and I think that was the problem. So for 10 years it's been rusting and everytime we clean it I was stripping material out. The barrel is pitted bad but it started shooting great recently.

This year so much material was pulled out that it is not tight enough to seat a powerbelt bullet in the barrel properly and it just about goes down with just the ram rod sitting on top. First shot and all clean barrel shots felt like a .22 in recoil and it is shooting 6-8 inches low at 100 yards. So I think the main issue is the an out of spec and too loose barrel.

So what do you guys think? I might try using a 200 gr .40cal SST in a sabot to tighten it up and get enough pressure to launch it at a consistent velocity. And payed some plastic will fill in the pitting who knows.

P.s. I have a new CVA Optima .50 cal now but I wanna still try to get this gun working again so my girlfriend can use it for deer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I would try some 200 ssts and the supplied sabot or some Harvester Blue sabots.

Also, things will tighten up with a fouling shot. Don't judge your results without trying it dirty.

Sounds like cleaning was the culprit, not the powder..

Re: RE: Re: Need help with a .45 cal inline...

LarryBud said:
I would try some 200 ssts and the supplied sabot or some Harvester Blue sabots.

Also, things will tighten up with a fouling shot. Don't judge your results without trying it dirty.
I tried it dirty... horible accuracy still with PB's that I have a crap ton of.. gunna have to give SST sabots a go I guess, they're pretty cheep so I have no problem with that. My dad also shot it today at 50yds with PB's and it shot good enough at 50 to use as a back up gun

52Bore said:
It was cleaned the night of or the next day after being shot everytime. And when I cleaned it I made that gun spotless.

kz106 said:
52Bore said:
It was cleaned the night of or the next day after being shot everytime. And when I cleaned it I made that gun spotless.

My BIL told me the same thing when we took his guns to the range this month. I used one of my jags on his .50 cal. Traditions rifle and got back terrible black patches (he used pyrodex). He was using a "worm" to clean the barrel with and didn't even know what a "jag" was. So he was educated. I never did get that gun to shoot right. The trigger was terrible as well...

Not saying you did this, but it does happen as I found out.

He was using a "worm" to clean the barrel with

A buddy of mine did the same thing with a patch worm. I grabbed a brush and jag. Scrubbed it good following up with a jag/patches. He was shocked how much crud was on the patches. I was shocked his barrel wasnt trashed from using Pyrodex and rather poor cleaning.

If your shooting power belts they go down "loose" in most rifles to begin with and have terrible ballistics reports, try some sst with supplied sabots, also this was not a powder issue with was a cleaning issue, either not enough or not with the correct materials, I used to own a first gen cvs wolf and recently handed it down to my cousin, we shot pyrodex and t7 with it and to this day it's steel nice and shiny, not trying to be a jerk just saying, this was a user error not a powder issue, try those sabots and report back to us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelheader323 said:
If your shooting power belts they go down "loose" in most rifles to begin with and have terrible ballistics reports, try some sst with supplied sabots, also this was not a powder issue with was a cleaning issue, either not enough or not with the correct materials, I used to own a first gen cvs wolf and recently handed it down to my cousin, we shot pyrodex and t7 with it and to this day it's steel nice and shiny, not trying to be a jerk just saying, this was a user error not a powder issue, try those sabots and report back to us!

I'll give it a shot maybe this winter, not really in a rush since I have a new gun now. But those bullets used to go down with some decent resistance like you actually had to push them down and it had good accuracy with powerbelts. Now I can sit the ram rod on top and it will seat the bullet.

For now it shoots well enough at 50 yards to be a back up gun or a follow up shot if I'm hunting with my girlfriend or something.

If the barrel truly is loose try shooting some .41cal pistol bullets in a 40/45 sabot. It'll fit and be tight enough to actually make a difference.

Have you ever heard of Thor bullets? They come in different sizes for .50 cal rifles and you can order a sample pack with each size to push down your barrel for the best fit

Steelheader323 said:
Have you ever heard of Thor bullets? They come in different sizes for .50 cal rifles and you can order a sample pack with each size to push down your barrel for the best fit

This is a .45 cal post though..

So I found a pack of these at my local gun shop, gunna try them!
fbc702fcae83e2190b0edc4d594be523.jpg

Latest posts

Back