10th season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my 10th season with my 50 caliber Black Diamond XR. 10 very good seasons too. She's done everything asked of her and she's beginning to look her age. Love that, by the way.
So. How long have you been hunting with a particular muzzleloader? Which one?

Confederate rifleman said:
This is my 10th season with my 50 caliber Black Diamond XR. 10 very good seasons too. She's done everything asked of her and she's beginning to look her age. Love that, by the way.
So. How long have you been hunting with a particular muzzleloader? Which one?
My Lyman GPR has seen 37 1/2 years . I built it from a kit in 1980

I've been hunting mainly with my Omega since '06. About 4 years ago I hunted with a smokeless build but sold it and went back to the Omega the following year . This year I will be focusing on my mountaineer. But if I see myself running out of time I could see me reaching for the old faithful Omega. I just feel lucky with that gun.

My Trusty MK-95 .50cal (ole Reliable) has been with me now 20 years. Did not hunt with it last fall but it was with me if I needed it.

I had a traditions lightning 50 that was a killing machine for 10 years. I have a 50 smokeless barrel on a 700 Remington the last 8 years. I always shot 45 in a sabot in both. Getting ready to switch to a Knight 45. I love the whole process of changing guns. Getting to know the new rifle until your confident in it then the confidence you build as you start having success with it.

Makes me smile to see so many plunger actions in this list. I went from sidelock to plunger to an Omega and back to plunger. After a while you get to know what fits you best.
That 37 1/2 year stretch with the Lyman, talk about loyalty!

I have a Encore that I have hunted with for over 15 years . It has been a very reliable gun completely stock .

I've got a short attention span. I've still got most of the muzzleloaders that I've bought but I move on to the "next best thing" as far as hunting goes. I think I've killed deer with every ML I've owned except for the Omega I bought a month ago.

Confederate rifleman said:
Makes me smile to see so many plunger actions in this list. I went from sidelock to plunger to an Omega and back to plunger. After a while you get to know what fits you best.
That 37 1/2 year stretch with the Lyman, talk about loyalty!
I hunt with lots of different muzzleloaders but I try to use my GPR every year during muzzy season . It deserves that at least. I have seriously been thinking about refinishing it again . And re browning the barrel but never seem to get around to actually following through on that . It is definitely my favorite only for sentimental reasons . Lots of favorites as far as hunting :)

I LOVE faded blueing and all the memories that go with it. My 50 XR is turning light blue/pewter in several places ( namely muzzle, priming area and the balance point) from years of shooting and carrying. Her stock finish, whatever TC used, has worn to wood on the comb, top of the pistol grip and sides/bottom of the forend from rubbing on the bag at the range and my shoulder when I have her slung. The bare patches get a dose of linseed oil a couple times a year, to keep the gremlins at bay. A little oil now and then keeps the metal in fine shape. Wouldn't dream of a refinish. The evidence of all those years and memories would be destroyed.
Just one ( I put the mental in sentimental) man's opinion.

I must be odd as I tend to use a different rifle each year...

Been using a particular omega for the last 8 years, every once in a while I'll take a project rifle out on a hunt with my but this omega has always done the trick from 20 yards out to 200 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had my 50 cal Black Diamond since 2000 or 2001. It is my way favorite gun to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a Black Diamond but I would never buy another, or any plunger gun for that matter. To me, almost any other action type is better. What is it that you guys like about that style of action?

Last 8 years knight extreme 50 cal, before that a lk93 50 cal, no complaints with either.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back