Knight Red Hot Nipples - Caps fit correctly - go to end of the thread

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: TRESO - AMPCO #11 Nipples - correcting my error

sabotloader said:
Shawn, when was the last time you ordered those Knight nipples?
6/12/17. These (2) were supposed to be 6 x 1mm. They messed up the packaging and put a 6x.75 in one package that was marked 6 x 1mm.

For any of that still might be following this topic... Another test nipple arrived today.

It is another TRESO but it is for the Colt Walker Pistol

It measures the same length as the TC TRESO .637

TRESO_Colt_Walker.jpg

The RWS 1075+ does fit a little more snug like what I am looking for but in my mind not enough to serve the purpose...

More #11's arriving later....

In addition 54bore suggested trying a MSM Spitfire

54bore;4318498 said:
Sabotloader, You might give the MSM Spitfire nipples a try if overall length is what you are looking for? They are the longest nipple i have ever seen, (I wish i had measured it) I found 1 for my Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle, that nipple was long enough that my rifle would not go to half cock. I target shot the nipple and i wasn't impressed with durability, I started a thread about them on Castboolits way back and most folks swore by them being tough, maybe i got a bad one? My absolute favorite nipple is the Treso Ampco nipples from Buffalo Arms, they are TOUGH and hold up extremely well

54 - I just called October Country in Hayden, ID - talked to the people and I have ordered one for testing purposes. I have never had one of these that I know of...

Spitfire_11.jpg

http://www.octobercountry.com/msm-spitfire-nipple-11/

Thanks - I will let you all know

I have had great success over the years with the Knight red hot (silver) nipples as well. All my #11's wear them, and they are excellent with caps. I use RWS 1075 most of the time, sometimes CCI. Never an issue with fit or fire. I honestly didn't know there was a difference between any of the Knight "red hot" nipples. Sounds like something must have changed somewhere down the line. Looking fwd to hearing the report on the new knight nipples SL. :yeah:

Yesterday I ordered another test nipple from October Country Muzzeloading here in Idaho...

http://www.octobercountry.com/

Spitfire_11.jpg

This hardened Stainless Steel nipple was suggested by another forum member 54bore on another site.

Today the nipple arrived - I got to say I open the package not expecting it to work - BUT!!! It is an excellent fit!

MSM_11_Nipple.jpg

The cap is tight and will be water proof

The nipple is longer than a stock Knight measuring .678 - which is long as compared to a stock Knight nipple

Flash Hole - the hole is small .028/29 and I will need to drill it out to .031

Again the down side is to get the nipple off the post you will need to shoot it off or peel it off with the edge of a knife....

The next step is to install it in DISC and see if the hammer/firing pin can hit the cap hard enough to drive it to ignition...

Still have some new Knight Red Hots coming for evaluation...

I just feel good finding one that works the way I prefer - thanks 52!

Sabotloader,
Just wondering if Lehigh Defense could make us the correct nipples out of tough material and end the problem of cap fit, as well as flash hole diameter, and peening of the end by the hammer or firing pins?????
If they can sell vent liners for less than $7 - $8, could they make a great nipple too, at a fair price?
Thanks
Scott

shguns said:
Sabotloader,
Just wondering if Lehigh Defense could make us the correct nipples out of tough material and end the problem of cap fit, as well as flash hole diameter, and peening of the end by the hammer or firing pins?????
If they can sell vent liners for less than $7 - $8, could they make a great nipple too, at a fair price?
Thanks
Scott

Scott, you know what - that is an excellent suggestion - I will pass it on to Lehigh Dave.

Sabotloader, I am interested in your Results? As i stated on the other site (I go by 54bore there) The Spitfire that i tried didn’t seem to hold up very well for me? When i started the thread way back on the CB forum several others stated that they had excellent results with the Spitfire’s

Here is what MSM Claims on their Spitfire nipple

Magnum nipples for your muzzle loader by MSM. Recommended by the North American Hunting Club. These award winning nipples are made from highest quality hardened stainless steel. In their testing MSM has found the Spitfire will deliver up to 100 feet per second more velocity than other popular replacement nipples on the market. The Spitfire will give improved ignition with a wide spread of sparks to the powder chamber. This is achieved through the design concept of a coned or recessed base in the nipple.

On track of the wolf they also list a tc hotshot nipple. Is that one of their design or old stock tc product? If its made from the same stainless as the other #11 they carry maybe that would be a quality item.

Knight Red Hot Nipples - Caps fit correctly

This afternoon the new Knight Red Hot #11 nipples arrived in the mail today.

My curiosity took over and I decided to put them to the test...

With a capper I applied the RWS 1075+ cap on the nipple. Then tried to take it off with my fingers - didn't happen

The picture(s) hopefully will explain what I was testing for.

Knight_Red_Hot_Cap_Fit.jpg

The flash hole is the correct size .031/32 - no drilling needed.

I think the search is over and the shooting/hunting can commence...

Shguns I did send your suggestion on to Lehigh Defense....

Re: Knight Red Hot Nipples - Caps fit correctly

sabotloader said:
This afternoon the new Knight Red Hot #11 nipples arrived in the mail today.

My curiosity took over and I decided to put them to the test...

With a capper I applied the RWS 1075+ cap on the nipple. Then tried to take it off with my fingers - didn't happen

The picture(s) hopefully will explain what I was testing for.

Knight_Red_Hot_Cap_Fit.jpg

The flash hole is the correct size .031/32 - no drilling needed.

I think the search is over and the shooting/hunting can commence...

Shguns I did send your suggestion on to Lehigh Defense....

Good info SL. That is how my current (old) Red Hot nipples are. Glad to hear the new ones are now good to go! I know I've shot the heck out of a couple of mine over the years, and they haven't changed at all. Sounds like the new ones are being made like the old ones. :yeah:

Good to here the new Red Hots are like the old ones I had. :yeah: Sure hope the metric version is better too. I would hate to guess how many rounds were fired on the one in my MK-85 and the one in my custom 32, it would be a lot. Guess I will need to put an order together. 8)

Thanks for the Info Mike!

Awesome work mike!! You sound a BUNCH like myself when it comes to tinkering with this stuff! Thank you for all of the time and effort you put in to this stuff, i have stumbled across several things that you had discussed years ago that i was able to apply to my program, One of them being the Cold Clean Bore shot and your method of popping caps off against a white Rag on your shop floor, to simulate a fouled bore. Again, a BIG THANK YOU For all of your work, testing this stuff, and your willingness to jump on these forums and share it with everyone!!

Idaholewis said:
Awesome work mike!! You sound a BUNCH like myself when it comes to tinkering with this stuff! Thank you for all of the time and effort you put in to this stuff, i have stumbled across several things that you had discussed years ago that i was able to apply to my program, One of them being the Cold Clean Bore shot and your method of popping caps off against a white Rag on your shop floor, to simulate a fouled bore. Again, a BIG THANK YOU For all of your work, testing this stuff, and your willingness to jump on these forums and share it with everyone!!

I'll second that! I've learned alot from Sabotloader (and others here) over the years. :applause: :yeah:
I don't often have the time to tinker to figure out what I need...but I can always count on SL and others here have already figured it out and in SL's case...usually he's posted it in a very usable and understandable fashion! :mrgreen:

WV Hunter said:
Idaholewis said:

I'll second that! I've learned alot from Sabotloader (and others here) over the years. :applause: :yeah:
I don't often have the time to tinker to figure out what I need...but I can always count on SL and others here have already figured it out and in SL's case...usually he's posted it in a very usable and understandable fashion! :mrgreen:

I will add a more information that I just found out about the Red Hots... They are hardened to a ridiculously hard number - something like Doc White use to do to improve life of his nipple/breech plug combination - so they really should be a lasting product...

With this last bit of information - I think I am even more satisfied with the new Red Hots... Now lets just hope Knight doesn't change contractors again... no wait if I ordered enough of them now I would have to worry about it! :partyman:

Idaholewis said:

Shoot! everybody get lucky once in awhile

Latest posts

Back