Ballistic Programs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave C

Reaction score
The Ballistic Programs I generally use for my rifles all require bullet B.C's. Does anyone know of a program that I can enter trajectory info (i.e. Drop/elevation, projectile wt) for different yardages at a given temp and elevation to see how the trajectory curve changes at different atmospheric conditions? Temps here in CA are pretty mild here still and I'd like to see what might happen with my current sight-in at higher elevations and colder temps.

ronlaughlin said:
Ballistic Calculator. Be sure to check the box labeled "Show Advanced Calculator Features" and it will want you to enter elevation, humidity, temperature, pressure....
I've used the Hornady calculator before but it's not what I'm looking for. Still have to enter B.C., M.V. for the bullet and other parameters which I don't have. What I'm looking for is something that I can enter drop at different yardages with a given bullet weight and have the calculator determine M.V. and BC.

Still have to enter B.C., M.V. for the bullet and other parameters which I don't have.

Well without the BC, MV ect, You can not estimate down range ballistics.
http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html

Sounds like you are trying to do it in reverse by giving a retained value to calculate a required muzzle value. BC is not a constant value and will change according to altitude, velocity and even rotations per minute.

You can get a real world BC by measuring drop and velocity at different distances.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmbcv-5.1.cgi

Yes, that's essentially what I was trying to do. I was able to "back-door" the information I was looking for by playing with different ballpark MV's and BC's and then comparing the calculated trajectories with my range experience. Got pretty close and, ultimately, discovered it was a waste of time because I found there was very little change in trajectory from sea level to 10,000 ft with varying temps. What did surprise me was the amount of wind drift at short distances with what I would consider a light wind. It explains what I thought was a shift in windage on my peep yesterday from the prior range session.

Latest posts

Back