2f or 3f 777 in 50cal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
I'm shooting a cva optima stainless, thumbhole 50cal with 240gr xtp and maybe 265-300gr if they shoot well. Ive read some say do NOT use 3f because the manufacture recommends 2f, some say barrel length matters, etc. I'm going to use 777 loose this year and need to know what powder would be best? shots are 100-125yards max but one thing that bothered me last year was I shot a large body buck at about 70yards with a 250gr shockwave with 120gr pellets and no pass through so tracking was a pain. Are you guys getting pass through with 2f or would 3f give me more velocity?

I will admit loose powder scares me a little bit messing with 2-3f and just want to be safe.

If I was going to use the 777 and understood all of the cleaning issues, etc, I'd be using the granulated. The powder for of the powder is more stable than the pellets especially if they are left from last year. 2F or 3F, your choice. If I was to use the 777 3F granulated I would load about 10% less than the recommended load using 2F and work upward from there paying close attention to the primers for tell-tale signs of too much pressure. This close to the season I think you'd be wise to find a bullet, sabot and charge that hands you decent accuracy and decent velocity and stick with it for the season. You can play with all the other powders and stuff in the off-season when you have more time to do so.

MrTom said:
If I was going to use the 777 and understood all of the cleaning issues, etc, I'd be using the granulated. The powder for of the powder is more stable than the pellets especially if they are left from last year. 2F or 3F, your choice. If I was to use the 777 3F granulated I would load about 10% less than the recommended load using 2F and work upward from there paying close attention to the primers for tell-tale signs of too much pressure. This close to the season I think you'd be wise to find a bullet, sabot and charge that hands you decent accuracy and decent velocity and stick with it for the season. You can play with all the other powders and stuff in the off-season when you have more time to do so.

I had to pull my Nikon off the rifle cause the power ring came loose and they want a month or so to repair it so ill use the pellets from last year to get me on paper and rough sight in and then finish with loose. I can deal with the cleaning issues as I have a brand new jug of black powder cleaner and cva foam that's never been used.

ohiohunter2017 said:
MrTom said:

I had to pull my Nikon off the rifle cause the power ring came loose and they want a month or so to repair it so ill use the pellets from last year to get me on paper and rough sight in and then finish with loose. I can deal with the cleaning issues as I have a brand new jug of black powder cleaner and cva foam that's never been used.

Easy to clean the bore with T7 or BH

Bore_Cleaning.jpg

Most will tell you 2f in a 50 cal rifle

halloflin said:
Are you using the Windex that has ammonia in it?

You bet - I tried the vinegar variety - not near as good as the good old fashioned blue Windex...

WinPatch.jpg

These patches are for shooting at the range but the cleaning patch is the same thing only wetter...

CVA does not recommend only using 2FG....they flat out prohibit using 3FG...Call and ask them, they told me it would void warranty if they found out. I cant imagine why considering they allow 3 pellet loads. Hodgdon does NOT approve 3 pellet loads but approves of using 3FG in a 50cal.

I don't have a CVA but use T& 3F in a wide variety of MZs and have been please with the results. The Crud Ring is reality but if You're OK with busting it out between shots, the powder works fine.

sabotloader said:
ohiohunter2017 said:
MrTom said:

Easy to clean the bore with T7 or BH

Bore_Cleaning.jpg

Most will tell you 2f in a 50 cal rifle
How do you clear all the residue from the breech area? I've tried not removing the barrel from the stock and doing a good brushing with soap and water but find that I can't clean around the breech as well. With a wood laminate stock, I can't get too carried away with solvents, etc in that area and find it's ultimately easier and more effective to remove the barrel.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
I'm inclined to think that your lack of a pass thru with the Shockwave has a lot more to do with the bullet than with your choice of powders.
I doubt that. A few years ago I shot a deer at 224 yards with a 250 shockwave and 100 gr powder . She ran 20 yards is all and unfortunately there was a deer behind her . The bullet not only made a complete pass through but dropped the other deer on the spot . Lucky for me I had two tags . Only time I ever filled 2 tags with one shot . So I doubt lack of pass through was because of the bullet .

GM54-120 said:
CVA does not recommend only using 2FG....they flat out prohibit using 3FG...Call and ask them, they told me it would void warranty if they found out. I cant imagine why considering they allow 3 pellet loads. Hodgdon does NOT approve 3 pellet loads but approves of using 3FG in a 50cal.

So your saying that all they say to use is 2f?

1874sharpsshooter said:
QuinnTheEskimo said:
I'm inclined to think that your lack of a pass thru with the Shockwave has a lot more to do with the bullet than with your choice of powders.
I doubt that. A few years ago I shot a deer at 224 yards with a 250 shockwave and 100 gr powder . She ran 20 yards is all and unfortunately there was a deer behind her . The bullet not only made a complete pass through but dropped the other deer on the spot . Lucky for me I had two tags . Only time I ever filled 2 tags with one shot . So I doubt lack of pass through was because of the bullet .

Im not sure if it was because it was about 10 below 0 that day and snowing so maybe moisture got in there or old powder. I couldn't get 100gr 777 pellets to group and a buddy had 120gr mag pellets from last year and they grouped well so i used them. Very small entrance hole in the deers side and no exit from a stand 20ft up and about 60yards away. lungs were however mush when i dressed him out.

Neither of those experiences is at odds with what I said. In one case the bullet started out slow and was 224 yards downrange when it struck. At that velocity the expansion would be minimal so it's no surprise that it penetrates.
In the other example the bullet starts out faster, hits at relatively close range at fairly high speed and expands so rapidly that it doesn't pass thru. XTP's are likely to behave the same.
If I wanted pass throughs at close range I'd either slow the bullet down or use a tougher bullet.

Dave C said:
How do you clear all the residue from the breech area? I've tried not removing the barrel from the stock and doing a good brushing with soap and water but find that I can't clean around the breech as well. With a wood laminate stock, I can't get too carried away with solvents, etc in that area and find it's ultimately easier and more effective to remove the barrel.

You know Dave I have really never did an explanation of cleaning the breech area including the breech plug port but I do have a routine that works really well for me and it really is pretty simple - once again involving Windex - a stick - a bore brush and a drill. It only takes a few minutes...

Next time I do a cleaning I will get that operation in pictures...

ohiohunter2017 said:
GM54-120 said:

So your saying that all they say to use is 2f?

That is correct according to CVA customer service and the tech. I just laughed at them and told them about the Hodgdon load data. Its right on the Hodgdon website. They could not tell me why 100grV 3FG was bad but 3 pellets or 150grV 2FG was ok. The manual also clearly states NO 3FG and clearly states that 3 pellets or 150gr of 2FG are allowed.

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uplo ... l_2008.pdf

sabotloader said:
Dave C said:

You know Dave I have really never did an explanation of cleaning the breech area including the breech plug port but I do have a routine that works really well for me and it really is pretty simple - once again involving Windex - a stick - a bore brush and a drill. It only takes a few minutes...

Next time I do a cleaning I will get that operation in pictures...
Can't wait to see it. I'd love to find a quicker way to get a gun clean without breaking it down all the time.

Dave,

I just use the Windex and some small bottle brushes ( I think they are 3/4"), most cleaning kits come with them. Lots of Hardware stores have them. I also use the same 2 1/2" patches or some 3" if I have them. I use a small spray bottle that eye glasses cleaner comes in and put the Windex in it so it fits in my range box.

ICxueni.jpg

ekD2X9P.jpg

Dave C said:
Are you guys pulling & cleaning your breech plug every time?
I pull mine only for final cleaning after done shooting.

Latest posts

Back